TomTom tested, GO 920
Wireless carrier, AT&T
What data plan is being used if any. None
Phone manufacture and model number. Sony Ericsson Z525a
Which features work
Handsfree, Yes
Phonebook transfer, Yes
SMS messaging, NA
Data transfer (when testing try weather service as no subscription is required) NA

• TomTom tested: GO 920
  • Wireless carrier: Verizon
  • No data plan
  • Motorolla W385
  • Which features work:
  • Handsfree
  • Phonebook transfer
  • Go 920 reports it detected data transfer capability, but with no data plan I haven't tried to set it up. (Not fond of massive fees on my phone bill)

To get it working for handsfree, all I had to do was turn on Bluetooth and enable discovery mode on the phone. The 920 connected and disconnected a number of times while it was scanning for supported features, which was confusing, but after I let it do its thing, everything works fine.

Check you plan with customer service. You very well my be setup to do data at $1.99 per MB. At least you could check out weather and see if that works.

Once you know then shut it down so you don't pay by the MB. You can add data later for $15 a month.

TomTom tested: GO 920
Wireless carrier: Verizon
Samsunng SCH-u410
No data plan
Handsfree works
Phonebook transfered

-TomTom 920
-Cingular
-LG CU500

-Hands Free Calling Works
-Phonebook transfer does not work
-Text messaging does not work
-Data transfer does not work

920 Traffic with Blackberry Curve?

I have the 910 paired working with traffic with my Blackberry Pearl. I just got the 920 and it will pair with my Blackberry Curve (AT&T) but I can not get data to transfer so I can't setup traffic service. I have tried every Cingular / AT&T options and entered the appropriate values manually with no luck.

Anyone have any luck with this configuration? If so, please share.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

• TomTom tested: One LE
  • Wireless carrier: Cingular/AT&T
  • Data Plan: Wireless MEdia Basic Bundle
  • Phone manufacture and model number: Motorola V551
Which features work
  • Handsfree: (N)
  • Phonebook: (N)
  • SMS Messaging: (N)
  • Data transfer: (Y)
  • TT Traffic: (Y)
  • TT Weather: (Y)
  • TT Buddies: (Y) (PM me so I can test it with you)
  • TT Safety Cameras: (N/A grayed out)
  • Read Inbox Messages: (N/A grayed out)
  • TT Downloads: (Y)
Since Cingular got sold to AT&T, I thought at first I had to choose AT&T as my carrier. But it wouldn't work.

So I then tested the two Cingular choices. The only one that did work was the 2nd one that said Cingular (data transfer something)--not sure of the exact name. Once I chose that feature, my phone was able to connect with the LE and the Weather and Traffic services were operational.

I think I am using a free service of Traffic (probably trial version). I am not sure how or where I must go to subscribe.

Now that I have my 920T I've been able to check to see which features work with my V710.

• Device: GO 920
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Data Plan: None but it uses the Express Network 1xRTT network. You may or may not be charged for minutes so check your bill. So far it looks like I'm not being charged.
  • Phone: Motorola V710 with SW Version: 8700.1.40.0R (with seam edits but none for DUN). Need to check SW Version: 8700_02.03.00R
Which features work
  • Handsfree: Yes
  • Phonebook transfer: No
  • SMS messaging: No
  • Data transfer: Yes (Only checked Weather and Buddies so far)

Setup had to be done manually using the following
  • Phone selection - other
  • Carrier selection - other
  • Access point - vzw3g
  • username - (phone number)@vzw3g.com (Don't put in the "()")
  • password - vzw
  • number to dial - #777 (delete what this window shows on the tomtom and put in #777)
  • use DHCP auto
  • DNS auto
  • No scripts left blank for logon script

Sometimes I will get a connection error. Trying to get TT to set me up for Traffic.

Last edited:
TomTom Go 720, Blackberry 8830, Bell Mobility

Tested TomTom Go 720
Phone:RIM Blackberry 8830 World Edition
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Quebec, Ontario, Vancouver)
Data Plan: Regular data plan with no additional services or tweaks from service provider
Bluetooth: Hands Free calling, Phone Book transfer.
Data: All TomTom plus services work fine, except SMS

Samsung SCH-u740 & TT720

TomTom tested: GO 720
Wireless carrier: Verizon
Samsunng SCH-u740
No data plan
Handsfree works
Phonebook transfered

Saw other thread where "intermittant" data connection (for traffic) was enabled with this pairing, but I've been unsuccessful.

This is the "proposed" data connection setup:
1. Phone selection - other
2. Carrier selection - other
3. Access point - vzw3g
4. username - (10 digit phone number)@vzw3g.com
5. password - vzw
6. Auto / Auto setup for connection
7. number to dial - #777
8. No scripts

I can see activity/data transfer between phone an TT, but it is not "persistent". The bluetooth supposedly supports DUN profile, but broadband is EVDO.

Anyone...anyone...???

Samsung Blackjack

Samsung Blackjack does work on TOMTOM XL. GPS recognizes the phone, but displays data not available. I have had no trouble connecting to the Magellan Maestro 3250 at a Best Buy store.

• TomTom tested, i.e. GO 920
  • Wireless carrier
  • What data plan is being used if any.
  • Phone manufacture and model number.
  • Which features work
  • Handsfree
  • Phonebook transfer
  • SMS messaging
  • Data transfer (when testing try weather service as no subscription is required)

Someone here was good enough to help sort this out for me, but didn't see it posted here.

GO 720
Nextel
Standard "unlimited" plan
Motorola i870
Handsfree works, but audio not that great (need audio over FM!!!)
Phone book transfers do not work
SMS messaging does not work (non-standard Nextel approach)
Dial-up networking for Plus services (weather, traffic) works

user : (e-mail address removed)
pw : sprint
ip/dns : left to automatic
number : s=2

Last edited:
920T and Treo 755p

* TomTom tested- 920T
* Wireless carrier - Sprint
* Data Plan - Power Vision 15.00/month unlimited
* Palm Treo 755p Sprint

Which features work

* Handsfree - Works
* Phonebook transfer - Works somewhat (only a few came over)
* SMS messaging (Cannot get this to work, always grey'd out)
* Data transfer -Works

I did some searching around on the Internet and came up with the following to get my TomTom GO 920T working with my Treo 755p. Now I can get traffic and weather through my Sprint Palm Treo 755p.

I used these instructions to get the 'Tethered mode hack' onto my 755p.
http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: I THINK this setup will use your data connection in a Phone As Modem (PAM) configuration, and YOU MAY BE BILLED EXTRA by Sprint. The reason I think this is because of the need to enter #777 as the number to dial for the data connection. This is the same number you use when making a PAM connection from a laptop, for example.

You've been warned!

Here are the manual settings I used on the TT:

Phone Model: Treo 650
Mobile Carrier: Other
APN: proxy
Phone # to dial: #777
username: <leave blank>
password: <leave blank>
IP Address: Automatically assigned (DHCP)
DNS: Automatically assigned
Login Script: <leave blank>

Those might not be in the same order that it asks you, but I think it's all the items it asks for.

Once I entered all that info the 920 then recognized the features of the 755p that it could use, including 'hands-free', 'wireless data' and 'phonebook'. 'Phonebook', it turns out, is not all of your contacts, but seems like it does include the recent call history and anything you've got set up in your favorites buttons.

For those trying to get their TomTom's to work with Verizon phones I have new information.

The only phone that has a chance to work out of the box is the Motorola V710, which I have, using the 1xRTT data network but not the EDVO data network. There are reports that some software versions won't work but I can't confirm that yet. You can check out my post on this here.

The other phone that almost works out of the box is the Motorola E815, maybe the V3c, but the most recent software versions need a software hack. This phone will allow connections using both 1xRTT and EDVO but be careful. I suggest that you check this out if you want to connect using the 1xRTT network. There is a lot to read.

Notes:
  • When using the 1xRTT network you may or may not be charged minutes.
  • When using a V710 or E815 you do NOT need a tethering plan.
  • For Motorola phone check this out.

Unlike the V710 and E815 and some older EDVO phones, the newer EDVO phones use a different way to connect. The older phones use vzw3g.com for both web and DUN but the newer phones use different settings. For the the newer phones they use vzw3g.com for web access and dun.vzw3g.com for DUN so without a tethering plan you can connect using DUN. This can be changed if your willing to hack you phone. The hack sets both web and DUN to use vzw3g.com which bypasses the tethering check, see this. An example of a phone that can be changed to do this is the LG VX8550 Chocolate.

One more thing, technically you violate Verizon's Terms of Service if you tether any EDVO phone without a tethering plan. Since the V710 is not a EDVO phone you don't violate the TOS.

UPDATE:
I have confirmed it's V710 referbed phones that have the 8700_02.03.00R SW. The issue is the same as the newer EDO phones namely that Verizon change the setting from vzw3g.com to dun.vzw3g.com. I'm trying to find if there is way to change this back as can be done with newer phones.
Nothing more yet on some E815's that don't work but I assume it's the same issue

UPDATE:
I have confirmed that V710 phones with SW version 8700_02.03.00R will have problems but there is a SW version 8700_02.05.00R that will work with DUN without any changes IF you have an old plan with the "National Enhanced Services network" feature. If you do you can tether without any tethering plan. You be connecting through Verizon's 1xRTT network and you'll pay my the minute. This is what I have and it does work.

Last edited:
Maybe you all can help me...

Which features work
Since the 8703e is not in the list, my TT tells me that I need to manually configure, but I can't seem to find what the settings I need to use.

Thanks!
JK

Ask a Question