zoom feature on USA TOM TOM

Hi, I just bought a new XL340S TT and though I have used GPS before I am finding this a little user unfriendly. I want a smaller map so when I zoom out it does not go so rapidly to the whole state of NJ is it possible to change this?
i,e, it seems to go very quickly from ground level to 50 mile circle can this be changed? I also had several points of interest in my fav over the weekend after driving 300 miles and when I updated the map today they are all gone. Is there a way to add a fav point without the TT making the whole trip, just click and say add this point to fav?
Thanks Bill

Last edited:
Some models have an autozoom feature you can turn on or off but the zoom level is predetermined and it automatically returns to the normal view after a period of time.

Did you make a backup of your unit's contents prior to the map update, hopefully with Explorer? If so, you can copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your backed up map to the new map using Explorer. Then connect the unit to Home and make one change in Manage Favourites-->add one, edit one, etc. it doesn't matter.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer and your favourites should be back.

In Quickmenu options, there is an icon to add current position to favourites.

Finally it is the aggrevation with favourites moving from map to map that results in many users implementing a better way to deal with them.

See here for details.

No I never backed up my fav before updating I assumed it would be ok. I see now I probably lost them. Lucky it was only one weekend though and not a years worth of locations. I actually have downloaded something called Bird Sanctuary { community download} but it only has one place in it how would I add my bird sites in that folder? Does it have to be done outside the GPS in the PC ?
The problem with my map I suppose I would just like it to be the Eastern seaboard of the USA not all USA Canada and Mexico can be done?
Thanks Bill

The map you have cannot be split off into just the USA.

If you've downloaded a custom ov2 file, use Explorer to put it (and an associated .bmp file, if it came with it) directly into the map folder.

Ask a Question