Yet again..... New map..... Still no update

TomTom Model(s)
740 live
Yet again US-24 for most of OHIO is still wrong and not updated. What is tomtom waiting for?? I mean its not like US-24 is a major thoroughfare............ Oh wait it is!!!!!! It has been open for over a year now. Most up to date maps HA! Google maps has the new road now. Gee I can't wait for them to finish the road so I get to wait GOD knows how long for them to update the last section of the road. I guess after my subscription runs out (1 year) I will just use google maps and paper since apparently they are the only people paying attention. Sorry if this seems harsh but I would think that after a MAJOR ROAD has been open for a long time it would be fixed/added, is that really asking to much of a GPS provider??? I could overlook smaller roads but how is this still overlooked?

Major changes to interstates here in the Denver metro area seem to take about 12~15 months to appear. Way too slow for my taste, but they do eventually catch them.

:confused: I live in Winnipeg, Canada and two map changes ago I informed them of a major mistake TomTom made on one of the major streets in that runs in and out of the city. Back then they said they were working on it but I have yet to see the correction.

The 95/195 interchange still at 50% while the changes were complete in November 2009.

They are incompetent, they lie about changes and the reasons they do not make them.

TT/TA has 100 cars riding around versus 1,000 for Navteq (in the US).

I just love the ad running in the US that claims they have 1,000,000 more road miles covered by their maps in the US than their competition.

Even more hilarious is their touting that they will soon have map updates available every two days. Why?

I just love the ad running in the US that claims they have 1,000,000 more road miles covered by their maps in the US than their competition.

FWIW, there's approx. 4M miles of roadway in the US, about 3.8 million of it paved. That means someone is missing well over a quarter of the roads, probably more like 30-35% since TT doesn't show them all either. The "competition" they refer to isn't Navteq. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are just the same as in the last map update - no changes.

If you think they've changed then you don't know what you're looking at.

They are well into the demolition process of the old highway interchange.

Mapquest/Navteq has had the changes since January.

Map updates every two days? What for?

What's the remaining 50% on map 860? Seems like the EB and WB 195 highways were finally corrected on that version.

Name a gps system that uses a map provider other than Navteq or TA in the US?

FWIW, there's approx. 4M miles of roadway in the US, about 3.8 million of it paved. That means someone is missing well over a quarter of the roads, probably more like 30-35% since TT doesn't show them all either. The "competition" they refer to isn't Navteq. ;)

With all the posts above (and I'm Sure there would 1000's more) I would think these posts and hopefully more sent to TomTom would hopefully give them an idea of their incompetinent mapping.

There was a thread on the TeleAtlas Facebook page with people from all over making comments about the lack of map changes.

TeleAtlas not only took that thread down but eliminated discussions.

Thats how they dealt with it.

With all the posts above (and I'm Sure there would 1000's more) I would think these posts and hopefully more sent to TomTom would hopefully give them an idea of their incompetinent mapping.

I was thinking of pnd devices as opposed to software for smart phones.

TomTom's 'competition' may include Google but it certainly includes Navteq making the ads both misleading and an outright lie.

Google has maintained their own maps since the fall of 2009. ALK (Copilot) maintains their own maps, and have done so for almost 10 years I believe.

I was thinking of pnd devices as opposed to software for smart phones.

TomTom's 'competition' may include Google but it certainly includes Navteq making the ads both misleading and an outright lie.

The claim of 1,000,000 miles more of roads than the competition certainly sounds absurd, I also don't see any logic behind a 48 hour update cycle. After seeing what changes on a quarterly basis over the past 30+ months with TomTom, I question whether quarterly updates are worth the time/effort involved for the user. Updating 3-4 times per week? No thanks.

BTW, ALK also makes standalone PND devices that use their PC Miler software. ALK's maps are the only maps I've seen that TomTom might actually have a 1,000,000 mile advantage on.

I looked at the ALK website after you mentioned it. They show off their product nicely.

I had no idea they used their own maps till you mentioned it.

They are just the same as in the last map update - no changes.

The route below seems to match Google. The westbound route doesn't divert across the demolished northern highway, like it did in map 855. Though I haven't been to the area for about 6 months, the map does appear to reflect the changes in the RI DOT website.

iway.png

I agree with others: throughout 2010 I haven't found a single physical road improvements in my driving in the Boston area (I did see lots of lane guidance improvement). This is in contrast to 2009 and earlier, where Tomtom seemed to fix 5-10% of my personal "map error" list with each quarterly release.

I complained directly to tomtom. We will see if they decide to actually add the road directly. I was willing to over look it before google live and mapquest had the road on the map correctly. I even told her that google had the map correctly done. We will see but I am not holding my breathe! I would recommend to anyone having problems with maps complain directly to tomtom. Maybe they will figure out people are not happy with map updates!!

If it makes anyone feel better, changes really do occur. Had a poster the other day asking about a problem with map 855 that didn't include a relative's street in Lexington, KY. I looked it up for him on 860, and there it was.

Tom Tom should be looking at getting their product up to par, because as time goes on More and more people will be owing smart phones with google streets free of charge , and I bet Google maps get their maps far earlier than Tom tom wants to buy...
So I see in the future Tom Tom getting into the Smart phone arena........ instead of..

,,, far earlier than Tom tom wants to buy....
Um - TomTom bought TeleAtlas a while back. Granted, for accounting reasons, there's probably a "purchase" of sorts to keep the costs straight between divisions, but it's not like TomTom is getting their maps from an outside source these days.

One of the big problems with Tomtom is that they haven't fully integrated their Teleatlas purchase.

Teleatlas drives a road, submits the edit to their database, performs QA, ships it to the Tomtom division, Tomtom performs more QA, then releases the map for release.

Because of the above, it seems to take about 9 months as absolute minimum for new roads to appear. Tomtom is supposedly continuing to integrate with Teleatlas, and hopefully the 9 months will start shrinking.

Navteq operates the same way. Navteq.com may get an update on their website, but it probably takes the same amount of total time to make it into a Garmin.

Google is the fastest to add a new road to a map. Since Google maps are realtime/cloud-based in the USA. The instant an edit is verified Google's maps are updated.

Ask a Question