Yet another RDS-TMC issue - UK

Just been reading through several threads on various RDS reception problems...thought I'd add my own for the specific model.

I've got an XL IQ Routes edition and the RDS-TMC receiver with the micro-USB connector (not the oval). The TT is running 9.061. I've even manually tuned to the Classic FM station nearest to me, tried with the aerial wire outside the car, my car stereo picks up RDS audio updates from nearby stations, but after several hours TT is still searching for TMC stations.

What else can I try or issues to eliminate?

Many thanks in advance, everyone!

Have you reset your unit? Don't know whether your model has a dedicated reset hole or whether you have to hold the power button about 10 seconds till the drum sounds.

Anyway, try that........

Did reset it after updating.....did it again with RDS plugged in. Still same issue. I'm 30 miles away from the nearest RDS transmitter....too far away?

The RDS is new....never tried it. I'm not sure about the windscreen...it's a 10 year old car...did they have that heatproof technology back then? Regardless, I've kept the wire outside the car to try and get a signal...albeit not when driving.

The 'classic' station to which you have manually tuned may NOT be one that carries RDS traffic data. Not every station that provides RDS information carries traffic.

I did leave it for an hour to autotune at first...but I was under the impression that in the UK TT has leased out iTIS holdings for the TMC data which they broadcast over Classic FM...

I'll leave it to auto-tune again today and see what happens.

I did leave it for an hour to autotune at first...but I was under the impression that in the UK TT has leased out iTIS holdings for the TMC data which they broadcast over Classic FM...
Got my mind backwards on that. While Classic FM is carrying the ITIS data, there are also some commercial sites that backfill where propagation doesn't assure a good enough Classic signal.

So what I mean to suggest is that you need to auto-tune for the best result, and not depend on Classic from your specific location (unless Classic is a boomer there) since other stations do carry the TMC data as well.

If that doesn't pan out for you, then it could be a reception problem. That said, 10 years ago, there were only a handful of makers whose windshields (windscreens?) would severely attenuate an RF signal .. and I believe they were all German back then. The problem is a bit more widespread now. The havoc they play on FM is nothing compared to what they'll do to a GPS at 1200MHz, though. If your GPS is working, your windshield isn't killing your FM reception.

In addition to Classic FM the following stations are also employed in the UK for iTIS Holdings TMC data:

Station FX MHz Area
Smooth London, 102.2, London
Smooth Manchester, 100.4, North West England
Century Radio, 101.8, North East England
Century Radio, 100.7, North East England
Century Radio, 96.4, Hexham
Century Radio, 96.2, Fenham
Century 105, 105.4, North West England
Smooth, 106.6, East Midlands
Smooth, 105.7, West Midlands
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Smooth, TBA, North East
Wish FM, 102.4, Wigan
Wire FM, 107.2, Warrington
Signal 1, 102.6, South Cheshire
Signal 1, 96.4, South Cheshire
Signal 1, 96.9, South Cheshire
CFM, 102.5, Penrith
CFM, 102.2, West Cumbria
CFM, 103.4, West Cumbria
CFM, 96.4, Carlisle
Kiss 100 FM, 100.0, London
Magic 105.4 FM, 105.4, London
Kiss 101, 101.0, Severn Estuary
Kiss 101, 97.2, Bristol
Kiss 105-108, 107.7, Peterborough
Kiss 105-108, 106.1, Norwich
Kiss 105-108, 106.4, Ipswich
Kiss 105-108, 105.6, Cambridge
Wave 105 FM, 105.8, Poole
Wave 105 FM, 105.2, Solent

There is a full list of the stations available on This Page, if you want an ov2 POI file that contains all the transmitter locations PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it over, it contains location, Name, frequency and transmitter power, very handy to see which transmitter is closest with the highest output power directly on the TomTom while on the road, its something I compilied years ago when RDS reception was almost impossible in the UK due to the early receivers being a poor design.

The newer mini USB receiver should work in most of the UK but your location does look some distance from a transmitter with any sort of decent output power- Mike

Thanks so much for clarifying things for me, guys. I didn't realise there were other stations too.

Happy to report I did receive a signal on a trip to London today and seemed fairly reliable with the reporting...such a Godsend when an HD traffic subscription doesn't seem worthwhile.

Thank you so much for your time! At least I am reassured that the item isn't faulty and there isn't anything wrong in my setup.

POI file would be great, thanks.

Uhoh...not enough posts to PM.

At the risk of being spammed........ Removed Mike Alder

E-mail containing the POI file has been sent - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question