yep i broke my 930 and need help

Hi all

i have a couple of questions but first a quick outline of my issue..

I own (ahem its a friends actually) a tomtom 930, now this has been a good unit for a long time but after not using it for a week, i found the screen wont come on,

Now if you shine a light at a certain angle onto the screen you can see the image fine, so im guessing and feel free to correct me, that the screen backlights or similar has failed.

question 1 : is this normal for the screen to fail when its not been used for a while ( the unit is stored in a cupboard and hasnt been knocked or banged)

question 2: i can connect it to tomtom home and do all the normal things, i found the neat little thing where i can remotely control the unit from TTH, however it just shows as demo and doesnt seem to want to find any satellites, i took it out to the car and connected it to my laptop and left it for five minutes and it didnt seem to want to take into account any movement the car made.

question 3: when (as above) i connect this to my home pc with the standard mouse and keyboard i can remotely control the unit (such as enter places, numbers,. postcodes etc) but when i plug it into my acer one netbook the mouse works fine but the keyboard isnt recognised, why is this.

question 4; i cant afford to get it fixed yet so is there anyway to use the remote control option so that i can use the satnav as a gprs unit and use the mouse and keyboard and screen of the laptop as the output for the unit.

Lastly can anyone give me a rough price on what this unit would cost to repair, ive seen satnavs going on ebay for about 70-100 pound so anything over this makes it BRE (although my mate might want it fixing at a later date)

Oh and things i have tried

reinstalling from scratch from TTH

running the flash tool to clear the memory

using the remote option to check brightness levels

Thanks for any replies

Last edited:
That does indeed sound like the backlight is shot, now for the bad news, its not going to be cost effective to fix it unless you can find a scrap device with a good screen and are capable of swapping the screens over. Even then there is the issue of screen calibration which can be a real PITA - To be honest I would be tempted to purchase new hardware as a new screen off e-bay will set you back $80 before you start taking the device to bits - Mike

Nope using Home isn't really reliable and won't support the use in a car its really for demo purpose only and basic route planning - Mike

yeah the battery is fully charged, ive left it connected to my pc to charge, that was one of the things i was suggested to try by a friend.

Ask a Question