XXL550 charging 12v but not USB?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550
I have an XXL550. Can this be charged via the USB or only in the car at 12 VDC? I see among accessories there is a universal USB charger but if this device requires 12VDC I don't see how it can.

Does the XXL550 drop the 12 VDC to 5 VDC internally?

Thanks.

BillJ

It can be charged in the car or by connecting to the computer for a few hours or by using an AC charger. All work fine.

Does the XXL550 drop the 12 VDC to 5 VDC internally?
No, it does not. It requires 5VDC input. The car charger takes 12V to 5V.

Okay then if I put the XXL550 on the supplied USB cable, I should see it say charging on the Status Summary page (version 9.430). Yep, there it is. Thanks.

When I used my USB port on a Hyundai the TomTom kept reporting could not find the hard drive and shut down after about 10 mins. Gonebackto plugging into the 12v supply.

My problem was simpler. I'd always mash the Connect To Computer button and never see the status page and charging. Not seeing anything like a heat-sinked voltage regulator on the 12 volt USB connection lead, I assumed it ran on 12 volts and had a 12 volt battery which wouldn't likely charge from USB 5 volts without an internal voltage pump. So, possibly something like a 2v-24v in 5 volt out DC-DC converter with 5 volt logic. Perhaps the Hyundai uses a DC-DC converter for a 12 volt to USB 5 volts producing noise incompatible with the TomTom logic.

Perhaps the Hyundai uses a DC-DC converter for a 12 volt to USB 5 volts producing noise incompatible with the TomTom logic.
Depends upon the Hyundai, but we've seen this on some Santa Fe models. The USB isn't capable of supplying much current - evidently a good bit less than the standard USB 2.0 500mA for a USB host - and not enough to power larger devices like a TomTom that prefer a full 1A if they can get it (to charge quickly and operate concurrently) but will insist on pretty close to 500mA just for operation. It's clearly there for not much more than a USB thumb drive full of music, and those typically run 150mA or less in 'active' mode.

Also, many units which charge via USB, now need to see a specific impedance (or a short circuit) on the data pins of the connection in order to tell it that it is not connected to a PC, but just a dumb charger.
If those conditions aren't met, then the TomTom will think it is connected to a computer and will throw up the "Do you want to connect?" screen every time.

Ask a Question