XXL will not charge using car aux. socket

TomTom Model(s)
XXL
My XXL will charge up using electrical socket & plug in house, but runs down in use after about an hour although plugged into the car auxy. socket. Aux. supply from car socket appears OK but will not maintain XXL power.

Are you trying to charge using a USB outlet in car? Are you using the cable that comes with the device? Do you have more than one power outlet in the car to try?

Your AUX socket in the vehicle may well not be designed for charging, and at best, may be providing only 500mA (the old USB standard) of current to your device.
I assume it charges OK if you use the TomTom supplied cig lighter adapter in your vehicle?

I am using the cig. lighter car socket, and using the original connecting wire and plug. Plug appears OK, as the green light glows on the plug. The fault has only appeared on the last two times I have used the device, previously it seemed OK.
It seems to me that the cigar lighter socket is not supplying enough power to keep the device battery full - could this be an internal fault in the device perhaps?
Thanks for the replies so far!

OK. Your original post was pretty confusing. It sounded as though you were using the USB AUX input to your sound system to try to charge, and that's what I was talking about earlier.

So now we know that's not the case, and it's the adapter/cable combination used in the cig outlet that is causing you trouble. Since the device charges fine on a mains adapter, I think we can assume it's either the adapter or the cable in the car, and that your XXL is still doing fine.

Next question is whether you're using the same cable on the mains charger device as you are in the vehicle (assuming your style includes a cig adapter that is separable from the cable). That might eliminate that as the problem, too, leaving us only with the cig adapter itself. Step by step...

Thanks for your clear and logical thinking, Canderson.,and sorry about the initial confusion.

The cig. adapter is not separable from the cable, it's moulded into the cable. I have just tried connecting the device onto another socket in the car, using the same cable & plug, and the result is the same as using the usual plug - the green light on the device lights up, and the small battery symbol on the device indicates that it is charging, so it's a bit of a puzzle - device appears to be charging, but goes flat after an hour or so on a journey.... :(

If device recognizes the connection, but continues to drain power faster than it's eating it, have to suspect that the charger/cable assembly you are using just isn't supplying enough current to do the job.
Cig adapters rated at 1.2A or better easy to find, and the separate cables with Mini-B ends are still about a dime a dozen out there, so I'd replace what you have with a new one to see if that doesn't resolve it. Mains charger working fine, so we know device and its connector is fine. That only leaves the adapter/cable you've been using in the vehicle as the culprit.

Thanks again for the advice - I will get a new adapter & cable ASAP, and see if that resolves the problem.

Ask a Question