Xxl 540 tm

I hope this is the correct section for my XXL 540 TM

We mainly use the TT in the Pedestrian mode here in NYC. However, we have noticed that the battery appears to run down quite rapidly.
I don't know if anyone else uses this TT 540 TM in the pedestrian mode, but would you know if it is normal for the battery to run down quite rapidly?
We bought it several months ago and don't believe the battery could be going "dead" so soon.
Is there any way we can replace the battery in this unit? I notice a battery can be purchased at
Extended Life Battery for The TomTom XXL 540TM

Any help would be appreciated.
Alice

P.S. We do have a New Trent power pack for emergencies, which can be attached to the TT for extra power/usage.

Last edited:
We mainly use the TT in the Pedestrian mode here in NYC. However, we have noticed that the battery appears to run down quite rapidly.
Depending upon your screen brightness, much more than about 2 hours is par for the course on that model.

Is there any way we can replace the battery in this unit? I notice a battery can be purchased at
Extended Life Battery for The TomTom XXL 540TM
Don't waste your money on that one. In fact, if memory serves, that isn't even as many mAh as the original battery. It certainly is NOT 'extended' life at 1100mAh.

P.S. We do have a New Trent power pack for emergencies, which can be attached to the TT for extra power/usage.
And that would have been my #1 suggestion. There are several of these out there with some serious capacity, and hooking up via the USB mini-B connection is easily accomplished.

I notice when I charge the TT (via AC charger), that the power indicator in upper right of the the TT screen has a green gauge. However, I never see the that gauge go all the way to the left (which I believe would indicate a FULL charge). It always leaves a little space on left side that is not green.
Is this the norm? Or is it supposed to fill-in completely with the green color gauge.

P.S. I downloaded the newest map updates last night and was quite disturbed that the download took over 5 hours.
I still do not know why TT does not offer us the choice of whether to not only download the USA maps, but also Mexico and Canada. We should be able to download only the USA map.
Why does the download automatically download/install maps of Mexico and Canada? We will never, ever, use those maps! It takes a long time to download them and they are taking up a lot of the space on the TT.
Does anyone else feel the same. I passed this on to TT but doublt they will do anything about it.
Since we mainly use it only in the pedestrian mode, don't think I will update again.
I like the TT, but do not like the download!

Last edited:
I notice when I charge the TT (via AC charger), that the power indicator in upper right of the the TT screen has a green gauge. However, I never see the that gauge go all the way to the left (which I believe would indicate a FULL charge). It always leaves a little space on left side that is not green.
Is this the norm?
Yes - it's a quirk of the firmware that it always shows a charge one tick less than maximum.

P.S. I downloaded the newest map updates last night and was quite disturbed that the download took over 5 hours.
I still do not know why TT does not offer us the choice of whether to not only download the USA maps, but also Mexico and Canada. We should be able to download only the USA map.
Each model has its own map "bundle". Of your 5 hours, a fairly small portion was represented by Canada/Mexico. The Mexican coverage is actually quite small, and doesn't cover any of the places that I visit. Anyway, be aware that they're not separate maps (it's all one big map) - they're not sending you three of them.

No idea why it took you 5 hours - usually doesn't. When I updated last time, I think it took about 30 minutes to actually D/L the map, and then the PC began working the data over to the TT. What kind of connection do you have?

Have a speed test that might be of interest, too. Go to this link -> http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Select New York, and tell us what kinds of numbers you get.

Last edited:
Re:
No idea why it took you 5 hours - usually doesn't. When I updated last time, I think it took about 30 minutes to actually D/L the map, and then the PC began working the data over to the TT. What kind of connection do you have?

I believe the size of the download USA/Canada/Mexico version 865.3254 - was 1,704,280 KB (which I believe is GB).
My download speed is 768 kbps to1Mbps, usually the 1 Mbps

Last edited by a moderator:
PS - Please be aware that all of these numbers which they give us - ie - the IP/ the modem provider/ Speed testing sites/ Router capabilities; etc. are in BITS/

NOT bytes.

It takes 8 BITS to make one BYTE. And 1024 BYTES to make one MEG. And 1,024 megs to make One Gig.

An intentional confusion is being done... The 'testmy.net' site does list all of their numbers in KB's next to the larger numbers...

But if you test for example at: 7.0 Mb/s - we would divide that number by 8 to arrive at: .875 MB's or a little more than 3/4 of a meg per second.

This is really intentional confusion on the part of a lot of various manufacturers, and providers... For example; a Comcast High Speed Maximum download of 20Mb - is actually a grand total max of: 2.5 Megs per second...

D.

Last edited:
I believe the size of the download USA/Canada/Mexico version 865.3254 - was 1,704,280 KB (which I believe is GB).
Yes, that would be about right.
My download speed is 768 kbps to1Mbps, usually the 1 Mbps
Oh. Well, that would explain it, wouldn't it? My faster download can no doubt be attributed to something more on the order of 10Mb/s (basic Comast cable modem speed).

1,704,280,000 x 8 = 13,634,240,000 kilobits.

13,634,280,000 / 1,000,000 = 13,634 seconds = 227 minutes

... and assumes no overhead at all. Add a bit, and you're up in the 5 hour range very quickly.

Well - as I noted - the majority of what you downloaded was U.S. Playing around with 1.7GB files is what it is, based upon your connection speed.

Why does the download automatically download/install maps of Mexico and Canada? We will never, ever, use those maps! It takes a long time to download them and they are taking up a lot of the space on the TT.

The reason I purchased my TT was that the lifetime maps included US and Canada. I travel in Canada frequently. Know what you buy before you buy.

Ask a Question