XXL 540 S and XXL 540 TM

Please let me know whether there are any differences between the XXL 540 S model and the XXL 540 TM model.

The reason I asked because I ordered an XXL 540 TM from Amazon. When I updated the unit tonight (I received it this morning) I think the unit was fully charged, because the light was green (or blue, I forget) when I tried to charge the unit. Is this normal, or the unit was used? I ordered it new and it was marked on the receipt of the order by Amazon as "new".

One time after some item was downloaded, it said this item would be installed in the memory card and it did. I thought the XXL 540 TM did not has a memory card. TomTom home downloaded and installed things a few times then said no more updates.

However, after the initial update, I put the promotion (activation) code in. I think because of this TomTom Home checked again and said there are detailed maps seamlessly covering U.S., Canada and Mexico and asked whether I wanted it installed now or later. The size is 1664.3 MB and I only had 17.9 MB left in the unit, so I clicked "later". It also said the detailed map was available on line and all I have to do is go to TomTom home.

I checked the unit following some instructions in TomTom Home and found that my unit is a LLX 540 S and not LLX 540 TM.

I don't understand why and don't think Amazon did it intentionally. My only guess is that it is possible that I did not put the activation code of the unit in from the beginning and TomTom Home thought my unit was a LLX 540 S. It also let me update "one time only" before the activation code.

Please advise whether Amazon made a mistake and sent me the wrong unit or because of my mistake by not put the activation code in from the beginning. Thank you.

Last edited:
big difference

540s standard tomtom 5 inch screen
540tm same as above but with lifetime traffic and map updates.
look at the bottom edge of your unit and there is info there
]first thing you want to do is to use tomtom home to make a backup of your unit before updating anything
check your slip of paper that was mailed with your unit from amazon it will tell you the model too

Last edited:
Thank you, Bristolman and Danvo, for your help. Now I know I have the right unit that I ordered.

I now have another problem. After I finished successfully updating the unit (one time only), I typed in the activation code. TomTom Home checked again and found the "Detailed Map Seamlessly Covering the USA, Canada and Mexico - Version 860.3121 - which is 1664 MB" and said "This item needs to be downloaded".

I checked my unit and found it only had 17.9 MB free.

This morning I went ahead to click "Update and Install" the new detailed map (1664 MB) thinking it would replace the old one in my unit.

After about 10 seconds or so it stopped and the following message appeared on the computer at TomTom Home site:

ERROR: 2152398862/#http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...7xudu70EUz2 FIBiavOb3sTkPLY9Vo0A/cmqV+UqhXQ=: Error from server: The connection to the TomTom server timed out.
The connection to the TomTom server timed out.
Error code: 2152398862 (NS_ERROR_NET_TIMEOUT)
URL: http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...r7xudu70EUz2 FIBiavOb3sTkPLY9Vo0A/cmqV+UqhXQ=
Additional information: info = [object]
info.method = [string] GET
info.resumeOffset = [number] 0
info.resumeDownloadEnabled = [boolean] true
info.entityID = [string] %22dc7fce940b5c684a2b47b59511ca3d49:1289957791%22/1745181777/Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:45:25 GMT
info.file = [string] C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip
info.metaFile = [string] C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\c157d49a3cd237e8385c29500af993ad.tmp.meta
info.tempFile = [string] C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\c157d49a3cd237e8385c29500af993ad.tmp

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:77
return new ServerError(message, status, uri, undefined, additionalInfo);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:112
return NetUtil.exceptionForStatusCode(aStatus, aChannel.URI.spec, additionalInfo);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:363
exception = NetUtil.isRequestSuccess(this._channel, aStatus, this._getRequestInfo());

Time: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:48:19 GMT

Please let me know what went wrong and what should I do to correct this. Thank you very much.:(:confused:

PS: I did backup the new software when the unit was just taken out of the box and I did backup the first update before the activation code was keyed in.

Last edited:
My first thought would be to try the download again.

But check the following........

Look here: c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\ to see if indeed the map was downloaded. If you don't see the compressed file there, then look at the \Downloads\Temp\ folder. If you see anything there, delete it and then try the download again.

Thanh you, DHN, To be sure that I will do the right thing this time, is it possible to delete everything I have in the unit now, restore the original software that I backed-up when I just took the unit out of the box, key in the activation code and start from the beginning. I understand that to do this I have to use another email address. Is that right? and another email address on the same computer?

I read in a few posts you suggest to download the software into the computer then install from this download. How can I do that, because TomTom Home always suggests to connect the unit into the computer.

I'm not sure deleting stuff on your unit would resolve a timeout error to the server.

I would delete anything you find here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Temp\

IF you don't find the downloaded map here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

If you don't find anything in the Temporary folder then I'd still try to download the map again.

Information on how to install a downloaded map without using Home can be found here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

DHN:

I found the Maps folder but there is nohing in it. I deleted all the temporary files.

However, the same detailed map appears in TomTom Home when I connected my unit which says update and intall. I tried before and that was what I got in the red ink message I posted earlier.

What should I do now? Try to click on "Update and Install" again. For your information, this file is 1664 MB and my unit only has 17.9 MB free. Thank you.

You aren't on a Mac by any chance, are you?

You do have an Explorer backup of the previous map?

If so, (do NOT do this without a map backup!) reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Connect to Home. Accept an application that will be offered. Don't accept any other items offered. Install the application, disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Now restart the unit. (You'll get a 'no maps found') and connect to Home. See if you can update the map now.

Check to see how much space you have on your PC hard drive. I have a PC that was about maxed out and hooked up my 550 TM, and received the same error. Then tried download on my laptop and it worked fine - but it takes a LONG time to download. Several times it timed out, but just reconnect and it will continue where it timed out.

Hi, here I am again after a long day trying to update and set up my new XXL 540 TM. I want to thank everybody for having helped me. I appreciate all your help very much.

I had trouble at first as you can see in the TomTom Home report in the red ink area above. I called the TT Customer Rep who asked me to read a part of the error report to her (it was hard to read because of all the numbers and complicated things after the error number. However, she understood and even read a few letters before I read them. Then she asked me whether I had my firewall and antivirus on. I did so she told me to disable them. She told me to delete a few folders like TomTom in the computer and map folder in the GPS saying when I did the updating the new ones would be installed. She also told me that during the time TomTom Home downloaded files to my computer then installed in the unit I should not let the computer go to sleep because it would interfere with the downloading and installing.

I followed her instructions and downloaded the map successfully even it took a little more than five hours. During this time I dared not leave the computer alone a long time for fear it would hibernate and the downloading would be interrupted. There was not any time-out the whole time.

I turned the GPS on inside the house and the street where I live appeared on the screen very clearly. I really love the screen of this series. I will try to plan a trip to a place about 80 miles from my house to see how and where the unit would take me. Thanks again, all of you.

PS - I still have 86.5 MB free in the unit. There are Richard and two other female computer voices and I chose Richard. The Customer Service Rep advised me not to delete any of the voices. I will check to see whether they have any foreign language in the unit. If there is then I will have to ask you to show me how to delete them.:)

Ask a Question