XP and Vista Autorun Problem

When I connect my TomTom One V3 to my computers - one Vista and one XP, why does TomTom Home want to download and install itself every time I select "Run" from the Windows autorun dialog? TomTom Home 2.5 is already installed on both. Thank you.

First in Home's Preferences, do you have it checked such that Home will start as soon as the unit is connected to the computer? If so, uncheck that, exit Home. Connect unit to computer. Start Home using the desktop icon. Does it still try to dl another instance of Home?

If yes, can you try to uninstall Home from your computer. Re-install. Does that help?

If not, there is a text file in the root of the unit called autorun.inf. Can you post the contents here, please?

Home is not selected to start when Windows starts.

If I connect my device to the computer and start Home as suggested, everything does work. However, I must still cancel the Windows Autorun dialog box. If I do not start Home first and just select "Run" form the Windows Autorun dialog, it wants to download install Home instead of just running it.

Uninstall and re-install does not help.

Here is the autorun.inf from the root of my device:

[autorun]
action=Run TomTom HOME
open=InstallTomTomHOME.exe
label=TomTom
icon=tomtom.ico
[DeviceInstall]
#This section is empty; autorun will not install device drivers to your PC.

Thanks again!

Put a # symbol at the front of the line that starts with 'open' so that the line will now look like this:

#open=InstallTomTomHOME.exe

Save the file and start again. Still trying to dl Home again?

I get it!

Thank you for the help, dhn! I rem'd the line as you suggested, but the Windows Autorun dialog kept popping up with no option to run Home. That is when it hit me that TomTom recommends Home to start with Windows and the executable is not on the device - only the installer. So I did this:

[autorun]
action=Run TomTom HOME
#open=InstallTomTomHOME.exe
open="C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOME.exe"
label=TomTom
icon=tomtom.ico
[DeviceInstall]
#This section is empty; autorun will not install device drivers to your PC.

I changed the open line to look in my local program directory to run Home instead of install it from my device. This is on XP of course. Now I gotta figure out how to script the INF to work the same in Vista with two separate open commands since the program directory is different in Vista.

Thanks for the info guys, I've been struggling with this same problem. I was going about it all wrong though (trying to edit the xp autorun screen). This makes my life that much easier.

CaptMacKnight - I admit I know next to nothing about Vista but can't you just install Home in the same location as your XP machine?

May I recommend that you disable Auto-Run altogether? There are viruses spreading throughout corporate and home networks via USB drives and network shares, taking advantage of the autorun feature.

For safety I have disabled auto-run together. In fact Microsoft had to come out with an autorun disable critical update recently because their auto-run disable config didn't work properly and really didn't shut it down.

So now I manually start TT Home when I connect my GPS. Much safer this way.

default program in vista

When I connect my TomTom One V3 to my computers - one Vista and one XP, why does TomTom Home want to download and install itself every time I select "Run" from the Windows autorun dialog? TomTom Home 2.5 is already installed on both. Thank you.

Open start and go to default programs on right go to change autoplay settings and correct the autorun software setting

Ask a Question