Newbie Vista compatibility problem?

I got a TT720 in Dec 2007 (1st GPS). When I first got it, I tried connecting to my computer running Vista and got a dialog "Might be a problem with some files on this device or disk", with the options to "Scan and Fix" or "Continue without Scanning" 1st I tried to backup the TT without scanning, and this failed with a read/write error on a file, so I tried fixing. After that the TT was unusable (I wish I had found this forum sooner). After several failed ttempts working with TT support to fix it, I took it back to the store, and they exchanged it (they could not fix it, and I had a service agreement). I got the same error with the new unit, but did not scan. However, when I connected it to an older XP machine, everything work OK, and have been using it with that machine. When I contacted TT support, they said that there were some compatibility issues with Vista, and should be fixed soon. (I can still connect, and read OK with Vista, just have not written anything). I am going to retire the XP machine soon (finally got most all of the functions running on Vista, but that is for another forum :), but need to get TT working first (last app). I just updated to 8 hoping that would fix it, but it is still the same. I am worried that I will brick it again if I scan and fix. (turn it into a battery operated brick). I think that I have everything backed up on the XP machine (Home and explorer).

I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks

I do not think my problems have anything to do with Vista. Last night the TT got into essentially the same mode as the original lockup. It would turn on, go to the first splash screen then freeze. The pin reset would turn it off, otherwise, no response. The only difference this time was that it would connect to the computer. When I tried to restore (either from Home, or Explorer), it failed writing a file (different files, but would not complete the restore). Since I did not seem to have many options, I reformatted the internal memory. Home installed the application, and I restored my map (had copies on my computer, because I had upgraded). Everything seems to be working OK now, even from Vista. My best guess is that the problem(s) might be related to the amount of free memory, even though everything said there was memory available. I had not been using an SD card, because with my problems, I had not loaded much on the unit.

The problem is not vista. You are just pulling tomtom off the cradle instead of using safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar or disconnect device in tomtom HOME. Windows uses caching and keeps a lot of stuff in the ram. When you remove your device without telling windows about it, there are files that don't get written down properly thus the ugly scan disk messages.

Now when you let windows fix the problem using scandisk, everything is written back using DOS format instead of unix (linux in this case) and your tomtom gets hosed. Its not really bricked, you have just messed up the ttsystem file and you can fix it by placing your device on the usb cradle and turning it on and it will connect to your computer. Now do a restore to your backup that was working. You can always use windows explorer to replace the files in the root directory from your backup and it will most certainly bring it back.
HTH:D

Thanks for the reply. I seem to have a knack for encountering strange computer problems, and this might be another one.

I know that devices need to be removed properly, and always do so. (I usually use Home) Also, I got this error the first time I connect 2 different units to my computer. (Only, used scandisk on the first one. I will not do that again, at least I learned something :) Finally, I could not restore, either from Home, or using Explorer to write the files, because I got an error, and the copying quit. All of these problems seemed to clear up when I reformatted the memory. I would still like to figure out what caused the problem, but for now it is working.

Probably not related BUT I had some problems when I first tried to install TTHome on my Computer running Vista. TT support was unable to help after a number of calls. I found the program that was causing the issues with Vista was "STOPzilla" I "uninstalled" and that was the end of MY problems. I notified support so they could log it.

Sidney

Thanks, I had not really thought of interaction between applications, or device I might have installed. I will have to play with that a little.

Thus far, I have been very frustrated and disappointed by TT support. (Since finding this forum, I have found it to be a much better source of information. ) TT support might be very good on most problems, but were not on this one. When I was able to get a response, there was either no information, or it was contradictory.

Thanks,
Ken

Ask a Question