Windows Vista Problem

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One
Sorry if this has been posted before, I browsed but could not find any related topics...

I have a TomTom One and I was using Windows XP and was having no problems whatsoever...
I upgraded to Windows Vista (fully updated) and now when I try to load Tom Tom Home 2.7 I get the following error message
"Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"

I have uninstalled / rebooted / reinstalled / rebooted but it still will not load..

I have Googled but not been able to find any (helpful) reference to this problem

Thanks for any helf

Keith

Last edited:
I don't have Vista but understand you can run applications in XP compatible mode. Do so for Home.

Home does work on a Vista PC as thats what I use, I would try deleting Home from your PC in total, use the remove software option or the Home uninstaller, then look for any folders Home has left on your PC as it never fully removes itself as I recall, once you have got rid of it try a fresh download and re-install it - Mike

Thanks, deleted "all" a few times still no good..
It works fine on my sons laptop with Vista.... I think I will just use that when I want to update it..

Does Tom Tom have Linux software?

Cheers
Keith

There is something bloody weird here!

Three members from Oz and ALL are having problems with either downloading and running Home or getting the application to run on vista???

I did notice that, I wonder if it could be a regional setting on the PC or the server TomTom are using to send out versions of Home from is different to Europe/ NA etc - Mike

Windows 7 RC

Another Australian user.
I have installed Windows 7 RC, and TomTom Home (2.7.2.1825) does not detect the device, TomTom One Canada 310. Checking in control panel, the device is recognized as connected, as a USB.
I read that having the device connected when starting windows might work, but it didn't.
Running TomTom Home in XP SP3 emulation didn't work.
I have put an image of my WinXP SP3 back on so that I can function.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted before, I browsed but could not find any related topics...

I have a TomTom One and I was using Windows XP and was having no problems whatsoever...
I upgraded to Windows Vista (fully updated) and now when I try to load Tom Tom Home 2.7 I get the following error message
"Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"

I have uninstalled / rebooted / reinstalled / rebooted but it still will not load..

I have Googled but not been able to find any (helpful) reference to this problem

Thanks for any helf

Keith
I have recently bought a GO 730 and have the same problem when I try to run TomTom Home 2.7 application. I called TomTom helpdesk in Australia and the lady on the other side is very helpful and good manner. She had email me a procedure to follow and try to fix the problem. I HAVE NOT TRY THIS YET, as I just receive the email. But would like to post it here and it maybe useful for you.

As follow:

Component returned failure code errors

This error happens when HOME cannot access the Documents folder on the PC.
That can because the user account they are logged in to does not have permission to access the admin Documents, or because Documents has been moved.

If the customer has NOT moved the Documents folder to a new location on their PC:

1. Log in to the Vista Administrator account.
2. Uninstall TomTom HOME.
3. Log out of Administrator account.
4. Log in to a regular Vista user account.
5. Re-install TomTom HOME. The user will be prompted to provide the Admin username & password at the start of the install procedure.
6. If necessary, copy files from HOME’s Download, Backup & FromDevice folders from the Admin user account to new user account.
NOTE: these files must be Copied, not Moved.

If the customer has moved the Documents folder to a new location on their PC:

1. Exit HOME.
2. Move the Documents folder back to its original location.
3. Re-start HOME.
4. In Tools > TomTom HOME Preferences > Folders, create new folders for HOME to use, one for each of the 4 folders it needs. Put these anywhere but in Documents.
5. The user is now free to move Documents anywhere he likes.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

[nsiFile.moveTo]

1. make sure the hard drive of the computer is not full

2. exit HOME

3. rename the HOME Downloads folder

4. re-start HOME

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Others

- disk error check the TomTom device
- disk error check the hard drive of the PC.

If any errors are found and fixed, try HOME again.

If you still get the error, or if the disk error checks find no errors:
- rename the HOME Data folder: …\Documents\TomTom\HOME
- delete the HOME Profile folder: (%appdata%)
- exit and re-start TomTom HOME.

If you still get an error:
- create a new Windows user account.
- install HOME in that new user account.

Good Luck & Cheers!!

I think I know what the problem is... they're Australians who aren't very clever and don't realise that you need to turn the PC on for the software to work :p:p:p

NOTE:- Posted in good humor by a Kiwi who lives in Houston (far, far away!) :D

Ask a Question