Vista error? Scan and fix.

First of all hello, new here.

I just got this TomTom ONE, it was given to me like an hour ago. When I hooked it up to my laptop, which is using Vista Home this came up.

Do you want to scan and fix TomTom (G:)?

Is there something wrong, and if so how do I fix it? I just tried doing a factory reset but that did nothing. I cannot access the TomTom directly through windows explorer, but it does seem to work with the TomTom Home software.

Can I format the memory or something to fix this issue?

Also, what kind of TomTom is this? The model number below it is N14644, I think it's old (1st gen?) but, not sure. Someone gave it to my grandma but she didn't understand it, and never used it so she gave it to me.

Another question is, is it a good idea to buy the 720 map, I notice a lot of the streets near me say unknown.

Thanks!

KN

The "Scan and Fix?" window is essentially a prettier version of older versions of Windows' Check Disk/Scan Disk utilities. Vista thinks there might be some corrupt data or what not on the TomTom (which it just thinks is a USB drive) and wants your permission to fix the problems. Usually there is not a problem, or just some corrupt files that weren't fully deleted like Vista thinks they should have been. The best thing to do is to just let Vista "scan and fix" the unit. I have never EVER seen the check disk utility damage any files, and I work in lab support. If a file is broken, it was broken before the utility was run.

One 'problem' is the naming convention used in TomTom's software where certain files have an extension of .chk. In Windows' world, that extension is reflective of corrupt or loose file chains. But, with the linux coding, the file is not that and, indeed, the removal of the data.chk file will cause the functionality to cease.

One 'problem' is the naming convention used in TomTom's software where certain files have an extension of .chk. In Windows' world, that extension is reflective of corrupt or loose file chains. But, with the linux coding, the file is not that and, indeed, the removal of the data.chk file will cause the functionality to cease.

Yup, Don't scan and fix, cancel it i have done it and it messes things up. If anyone knows how to remove or disable the scan and fix from Vista please fill me in what a PITA!

A year late and quite likely a few dollars short, but I stumbled across this thread briefly before discovering the actual solution myself. This problem isn't unique to TomTom - it happens with Garmins, iPods, and just about any other flash-based device. The solution is very simple, and outlined here:

Resolve Vista Scan and Fix Error When Plugging in IPOD or other Devices

(Note: Not my site, but I've done the fix on my own TomTom GO 920(T) and it worked just fine...)

Ask a Question