Xl325-se

Any places out there that can give you better details in regards to specs across different TomTom Models? Garmin does a very good job of it on their site and wonder if there is anything similar like that for TomTom models. I just can't seem to get very good detailed specs on the tomtom site.

Just bought the XL325-SE from wal-mart.com. Got a good deal I believe but prices are confusing me.
Couple examples from wal-mart.com
-TomTom 125SE right now on Walmart.com is $59. But if you look up the 125 w/ no SE after it, it costs $98. Generally SE models for just about anything you think SE (special edition?) will have more features so why does the SE model cost $40 less?
-On the model I bought XL325SE right now for $89. The model that just says XL325 says normal cost is $119. Again why is a SE model cheaper than the plain model (besides the obvious black friday prices)?

If you go to the tomtom site, it says XL325 is $200 and XL325S is $250. Only difference I could find was S has text to speech.

I guess what I am trying to find out is the differences between the SE and non-SE models.

Also thinking about using this on my motorcyle. Anyway to hardwire it to the bike?

Thanks for any help.

I'm new here so take my reply accordingly. I believe the reason the two SE (special edition) models are listed cheaper than the non-SE models on Walmart is that these are Black Friday WalMart specials for that day only. Just guessing on this part, but maybe the SE version is available only for the WalMart single day sale. I bought the XL325 SE and on the box it says "Special Edition Bonus: spoken street names".
Another comment on the one I got, Contrary to a "What's in the box" I found on-line, the only doc included was a small "User Guide" booklet. If you dig around the TomTom web site, you can find the full (very long) manual and an "easy setup" mini-poster. It also says there's a CD included but there wasn't. I am guessing it was just the TomTom Home application that can be downloaded from their site.

The 125 and 325 have very limited maps with emergency-only POI (points-of-interest). The 125S and 325S added text to speech. The 125SE and 325se are Walmart-only editions, that added both text to speech and a mid-range POI database.

MVL,
Can you explain a little further on what you mean by emergency POI, midrange POI and limited maps?

I guess when it comes to maps as long as it is U.S., that is all I need. Found it interesting on the tomtom site you can buy a single US map for $70 (I believe), or 1 map per quarter for a year for $10 each ($40 total). So why the $240 difference, if I were to do a single update per quarter as opposed to the Map Update service.

On the POI I found this under the 325S on the TomTom site. You have to click on the Functionalities Tab, then Best Maps, then Points of Interest. If the 325 & 325S have only emergency POI, could the TomTom site be incorrect or misleading?
"Your pre-installed maps have Points of Interest from gas stations to hotels, so you are sure to find what you want."

I can kinda see gas stations and hotels as emergency in case of breakdowns and what not, but I think of emergencies of more like police and hospitals though. That would seem to fall under the Help Me function (which might also be POI's?)

TomTom XL 325?S - All-in-one navigation - TomTom GPS sat nav

Also walmart.com shows just the 325 as having millions of POI's. Could the walmart description is incorrect or misleading?
"Preloaded Points of Interest: Easily find millions of gas stations, restaurants, hotels and more on your route"

Walmart.com: TomTom 4.3" XL 325 GPS Navigation System: GPS & Navigation

Since you mentioned the 325SE has midrange POI, how many POI's are possible on the TomTom's?

What are the differences between the 325SE and the 330S?

Thanks in helping to clear up the confusion.

Sorry, the 325S is a brand new model, I have not been able to see it first hand.

The 125 from Christmas season 2008 was reported to have nearly no POIs on it (just emergency/help me places - doctors, hospitals, police/fire), and everything I've heard said the 325 would be the same. The 125SE and 325SE were advertised to have "millions of POIs" so I assumed there was an upgrade, but perhaps the 325S got it also. But since I haven't seen a 125, 325, nor 335 in person, I'm only going by other member's posts.

I'd normally trust the Tomtom website more than myself, but they've been mistaken a few times lately. For example, they say "Bluetooth connection for access to TomTom PLUS Services only" on the 530S/540S, when in fact I saw them in person and they have no bluetooth nor PLUS services at all.

The mid-range POIs add restaurants and some stores, and is available on units with the USA&Canada maps and the North_America_2GB maps. These would be the 130/330/530/630/720/730/740 models.

The high end POIs are on the North America and USA/Canada/Mex maps. It adds almost every major store. These are on the 140/340/920/930 models.

Thanks MVL.

Do you know what are the differences between the 325SE and the 330S?

I haven't gotten the unit yet but based on what others are reporting, I am just hoping to avoid buyers remorse.

Based on the Tomtom press release, the only difference appears to be the included map.

- The 330S's map includes Canada, the 325SE doesn't.
- As mentioned below, there's probably a difference in the POI file but I can't tell without seeing a 325SE first hand.

Ask a Question