TomTom XL325 S hates me...

and the feeling is beginning to become mutual. *sigh* ...hooray for my shiny new Christmas present! ...not hooray for all the problems I've had. I apologize in advance if this has been posted and answered already, but I couldn't find anything with the search function, and frankly, my patience with this device is wearing thin. :mad:
Ok, quick run down, like I said, XL325 S, got it today, immediately grabbed it and hooked it up to my laptop (running a MacBook Pro v10.6.5, if it matters) to play around and see what that little baby had. Well apparently it was either possessed by evil demons, Home is retarded, or I'm an idiot, because something happened with the map, I tried updating it, it didn't install properly, had that "cannot use ____ map with this device" crap, figured out the answer after reading many MANY posts on here (thank you, by the way! :) ), and now...after almost 20 hours of frustration, I can't get the map to install to my device because Home keeps deciding that I've disconnected my GPS...LIARS!
Ugh...I apologize for the tirade and my verbose nature, but I'm really, REALLY aggravated, and I'm about ready to throw that spiffy new GPS out the window. Anyway, is there something I can do to make Home stop lying? Thank you guys for having this forum...I've been scouring it for answers all night, and found most of them.

Well apparently it was either possessed by evil demons, Home is retarded, or I'm an idiot.
It won't contain any demons and I very much much doubt you are an idiot which only leaves one possibility, calling "home retarded" though is something I would consider as a complement as its as good as useless as far as I am concerned.

Reset the TomTom, if its got a reset hole in the base give that a prod with a stylus/ pin if there is no dedicated reset switch press and hold the on/ off button until the device restarts with a drum roll then connect it to the PC and see if Home recognises it - Mike

Thanks for the reply...I keep resetting the #@@!#$!!! piece of *#@! and then Home sees it again...but when I try to add the map, the stupid thing goes about halfway before it decides that I've removed the device again...I got cline.dat to transfer, but after that, I didn't have enough room, because I guess Home didn't feel like picking up where it left off, so it said I needed to delete things...needless to say, now I'm trying to manually xfer it all over, but I have to xfer the zip file, because it won't let me unzip and go file by file.
This thing is looking more and more like a paperweight with each passing moment.

So just a quick update...as the file was being transferred over to TomTom, I got an error message saying the disk had been ejected improperly and the transfer couldn't finish...attempting to start manually transferring the files again only started a new transfer, it didn't pick up where it left off...so I went to sleep for a couple hours (read; 2 whole hours...ughhhh), and I'm now trying to get the map on there again with the Home application...it's working so far...but we shall see.

Woah. Ok...so, I hate to think that one of you fabulous super mods were wrong, but I think my TomTom was temporarily possessed by demons. Just finished up installing my map, adding some fun voices, and backing it the heck up! I don't know what all the ridiculousness was about last night, but it works now...thank you guys (again) for being a source of actual answers to my questions...I definitely would've thrown this thing out the window had it not been for this website. <3

Having this same problem with my iMac! It keeps telling me that my device has been disconnected. Now my TT (same model) has no maps and won't work. I've tried for 3 hours And it keeps telling me that I am disconnecting the unit. Did you just keep trying? Please help. I'm ready to quit. A Garmin is starting to look so much better with each passing attempt.

Okay, so after hours of busy signals trying to connect with Customer Support and eventually ending up with a "Red X of Death" I returned my TomTom. I bought. Garmin Nuvi 265. It worked perfectly out of the box and installed all updates via computer with ease. All in about 45 minutes. Sorry TomTom! You lost another customer. At the rate these posts are being made, you'll be out of business. You had better get on the ball and fix your products!!!

Some XL 325S models were shipped with buggy software that causes read/write errors on the internal flash memory.

Problem is, HOME tells you to upgrade your map, before telling you to upgrade software.

If you upgrade the map first, the attempt to write the map to flash memory gets corrupted, just like you experienced.

What you need to do is decline any map updates, then application repeatedly (it will recommend a device reboot after each map install) until Tomtom says no new applications are available. Then disconnect and restart the Tomtom one more time.

After that, then you can begin the map update and it should succeed.

Ask a Question