XL-S 330 very slow powering up.

My XL-S 330 is very slow to start, it takes about 17 seconds to power up while holding down the power button. Then it takes another 10 seconds to turn on. I've tried the soft reset and it didn't help. Should I try reformatting the card and start all over with a new application download?
Hope for some help for a newbie.
thanx

What is the application version on your unit? (tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version number). Newer applications have returned the speed for turn on to just a couple of seconds. Perhaps you need an update?

What is the application version on your unit? (tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version number). Newer applications have returned the speed for turn on to just a couple of seconds. Perhaps you need an update?
I have V 8.010.
Map V 725.1914

Thanx for the reply

You have the latest application for your device.

If you're holding the power button for 17 seconds, you're doing a hard reset/pin reset each time. That's why it's taking 10 more seconds for the tomtom to start up (it's doing a full reboot).

The tomtom should be going into "sleep" mode when shut off, where it "wakes up" in seconds. So something's not working right. You can try the following steps (try one at a time, only if a prior one doesn't work. Each is more invasive then the prior one).

1) run a clear flash 3 times in a row
2) rename mapsettings.cfg on your map folder and have tomtom auto-generate a new one - you'll lose favorites, etc.
3) remove and reinstall the application
4) Backup your map and do a full reformat

In fact, TomTom considers a 'hard reset' to be 'Return to Factory Defaults'.

TomTom considers a 'soft reset' to be either a pin reset on those models with a reset hole and the holding of the power button for 15-20 seconds on those models without a reset hole.

See this thread from a Brit forum where the matter is discussed.

Last edited:
You have the latest application for your device.

If you're holding the power button for 17 seconds, you're doing a hard reset/pin reset each time. That's why it's taking 10 more seconds for the tomtom to start up (it's doing a full reboot).

The tomtom should be going into "sleep" mode when shut off, where it "wakes up" in seconds. So something's not working right. You can try the following steps (try one at a time, only if a prior one doesn't work. Each is more invasive then the prior one).

1) run a clear flash 3 times in a row
2) rename mapsettings.cfg on your map folder and have tomtom auto-generate a new one - you'll lose favorites, etc.
3) remove and reinstall the application
4) Backup your map and do a full reformat
Thanx for the reply.
I tried the clear flash and the rename mapsettings.cfg.
Then I removed and reinstalled the application.
It actually worked for a while, it started in about 4 seconds. But-- after a couple of restarts it went back to slow boots(the resets, I assume).
I then did the reformat, and restore. No good. I guess the restore only put the original problem back into the TT.
If there aren't any other suggestions, Monday I'll have to send it back for replacement.

Did you copy only the map folder back after the reformat? And let HOME redownload all the applications on its own?

Also, since the 330 only has 32mb ram, it may cause problems if too many things are loaded. Try removing things you don't use (voices, startup/shutdown images, etc). Also, don't show too many POI categories at once.

I have heard posts from others saying that this is normal instability with the 32mb models, and application 8.x. You may end up in a situation where your return/replacement acts the same way.

When powering on hold the button down for a 1-2 seconds to prevent from resetting it. Try the clear flash program as suggested.

While I've heard a couple times that the XL's 32mb ram + 8+ application can be a problem I dont get any of these problems. Powers up in seconds and with updated quickgpsfix's its ready to rock.

I am a minimalist though. I removed the voices I dont like, the car symbols I dont like, I replaced a start up and shut down imagine to bigger ones however (my avator is my startup and shut down imagine).

I've been happy with its functionality, if only Home and the maps didnt suck for me so much I'd be 100% satisfied... :)

Replaced the XL 330

Well, that problem was solved by replacement. The old XL must have been defective.
The new XL starts within a second of clicking on.
What is interesting is that the new application is version 8.014.
I bought the XL from CarToys.com in Seattle Washington. I live in Patchogue, NY (on Long Island)
and when I called for a replacement it was no hassle, and I ordered the new one with an overnight
delivery and I received it the following morning by UPS !! I was amazed !!!
Well, thanx to all for the support
Jonnysy

Good to hear. Maybe Navcore 8.014 is part of the fix. It is only pre-installed on new US tomtom 125/130/330 models, not offered by home. It's only supposed difference is its support of the US traffic receiver, maybe it fixes this issue too.

If anyone lost that version and needs it, it can be downloaded here for the ONE and the XL.

Ask a Question