XL Map Cannot Be Used/Not Found

TomTom Model(s)
XL
Hi,

I had to replace my TomTom XL and did not know that they had maps specific to the device. The new TomTom was horrendous - wrong directions, wrong street names, took forever to find a signal, etc. My old one was not like that at all. So when I updated the new one from TomTom Home, of course it overrode the map on the device, which then caused the "you cannot use this map with this device" error when I turned it on later and needed to use it. :thumb: I'm sure you've never heard of that, lol.

So because my brilliance knows no bounds, I deleted the map from the device, not realizing there was no backup that included the correct map . How do I get the device-specific map? TomTom Home says there are no updates. I tried resetting with the button on the unit, but there is no change.

Other than purchasing a map, is there any option for correcting this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Did you log into Home with a NEW email address for the new unit? You should have. What is the new model tomtom that you got? You may have to call CS at 866-486-6866 and explain the situation. They do have the capacity of adding (back) the map to your account.

And when you say you 'updated the new one....' are you saying you DID update the map on the new unit? If so, you should find it in compressed format here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Use Windows Explorer to see if indeed it's there. If so, it can be re-installed. Report back your findings.

No, I did not use a new email address when I got the new unit -- I didn't know. :(And I updated the new one by going into TomTom Home and using Manage/install from PC. I'm pretty sure what was on the PC at that point was from the old TomTom. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, because in my mind the old TomTom worked well, and this one was not the same, so I very likely figured I had found a way to get the old level of service back. I had no idea how much trouble that caused, which is why I got the cannot use this map error.

The unit is the same as my old one -- XL.

Before calling CS, try this ........

Connect to tomtom.com and create a new user id/password for the new unit (have the unit connected to the computer at the time).

Then, once done, start Home and log in with the new email address.

Initially try Home's Tools-->Latest Map Guarantee and see if a new map is offered.

If not, try 'Update my Computer' (NOT Manage Contents....)

See if a new map is offered that way.

If no luck, call CS at the number I provided.

It says the guarantee does not apply to the map installed on my device. (Which is no map installed. Yay.). I will call CS and update you guys as to what they say. Thanks! :)

And I take it that even though the computer looks at the XL as a storage device, that deleted map file wouldn't be stored in my recycle bin or something, right? No one knows where it puts the deleted files?

Sorry, files deleted from an external drive don't usually go into the recycle bin (that's just the way Microsoft designed Windows).

So just to get this straight in my mind....
You didn't do an "Update my device" in Home (which would have downloaded a new map from TT's servers (if you bought one...)), but you got Home to COPY the old TomTom's map from your PC to the new TomTom, using one of the other options in Home (possibly "Add Traffic, Voices etc" then "Items on my computer")

Is that what you did?

Andy -
They do wind up in the recycle bin on mine. I rarely delete things directly from the TomTom, but all of my thumb drive photos, etc., wind up in the root recycle bin of the PC. The Mac, on the other hand, keeps local recycle bins on external devices, and they get filled up quickly with an invisible bunch of files that have to be emptied. Windows does seem to keep these files.

Andy -
They do wind up in the recycle bin on mine..

Hmmm, interesting... Maybe it's different on newer versions of Windows?

On my Win XP, if I delete a file off a TomTom, that's it... gone

Dunno - I'm still on XP, too, but I can see stuff in my recycle bin from the "D" drive, which on this single drive netbook is always 'external'. I see stuff from both my camera and my Garmin handheld there.

Ask a Question