XL Live IQ does not give fastest route

MMN

TomTom Model(s)
XL Live IQ Europe
My TomTom is set to the fastest route; maps are up-to-date; I am traveling in the Netherlands (Live service provided) on back roads where I am very familiar with the lay-out. At a T-junction it tells me to go right (ETA 15:44) which is the long and slow way around. I turn left. Immediate recalculation. Now the ETA is 15:42!! What is going on here? Am I missing something or does my TomTom Live IQ have rigor mortis or a low IQ? Can anybody enlighten me? Thanks! (By the way tags like XL and IQ are not accepted as being too short)

Perhaps there is an incorrect turn restriction on the map. Do a prepare route from immediately before the left to immediately after it, and see if the Tomtom will take the turn.

The fact you can occasionally find a faster route than the computed one isn't unheard of. There is no consumer device that can sample every possible road combination for every route. There's a trade-off for fast calculation. I don't know of anyone who's used a pnd for any length of time that hasn't seen the estimated time of arrival fall at some time when taking a "detour" from the recommended route. It happens.

Again

I accept that at times one can find a "better" route than proposed by a SatNav. My point was, and I had the same experience at that very same intersection every time, that not only did I find a better route, but ( and this is very important) my TomTom agreed with me *afterwards*! So why does it not suggest the better route in the first place, as apparently it is not a freak occurrence?

I checked it as you suggested. My TomTom did not object to taking that turn. Thanks for the suggestion.

Usually with IQroutes, the detours rarely find a better route. One exception is a small-road-class issue which the routes algorithm causes problems on. If you post the location of the turn, I can tell you what's going on.

Ask a Question