XL IQ Routes? edition? Europe - Latest map guarantee

Reading the advertising blurb you would think this was a cast iron guarantee would you not? However, in practice I am unable to do the map update even though it says I am entitled to this map as there will not be enough space in the device. Of course clearing out the unused languages is no help as the additional space required is far in excess of a a few sound files. The map selected does not have regions so I have no options on that front.

Has anyone resolved this issue either technically or legally?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Ok let us know what happens as I have the same problem!

Currently I have decided to stick with the preinstalled old map I've got as I want to fit everything on the one device.

OK, an update. Just to double check I went back and did the TT Home check for maps etc. It found the same Europe map but this time it had regions. So, having read the forums notes on how to back up the whole device, I did that first then I installed the region I would normally use (Northern Europe) and let it to download. That worked OK and after another backup I wondered if it would let me install another region. Seems the answer is 'No'.

Perhaps Ben you could have another go after backing up the whole think first. that way you can revert to the original settings/maps etc if you do decide to download.

For now I am reasonably happy, the maps missing are of no real interest to me, Italy is the only one I would like but I have that on the originally installed which I can use albeit not up to date.

So I will have no need to contact TT after all.

I am a trifle disappointed with the small storage space in this day and age - did the cost cutting really have to chop out that memory?

You live and learn I guess.

Hi Ian,

I was about to post on this as I did the same thing, I plugged it in and this time it said "this map fits on your device" and it gave me an option of four regions to select. So I chose Western Europe as I am in the UK and anticipate driving in France, Ireland..then after about 30 mins it appears to have downloaded the new map successfully. I assume it's the IQ routes version?

I still think it's unreasonable that you can't upload the entire Europe to the device. and I'm not sure how to change regions if I ever did go further afield. I think what it says though is you are entitled to the map for the whole of Europe, so the idea is if you wanted Italy for example you could go back in to HOME and change the map section you are using.

Still it's good to know the bug seems to have been fixed.

Last edited:
Ok I've discovered that if you go to "Manage My Device" in HOME it gives you an option to "change map zone" and it's very easy to switch between the four zones (so can have any country you want).

Good stuff!

I can tell the map is different because it contains wooded areas for forests which I didn't notice before.

Bought my Tom Tom after the Garmin broke when trying to download updates, and was thinking I had made a mistake getting a tom tom because of this problem so I'm glad it's been resolved.

Only thing I'm not keen on with Tom Tom is they only seem to have user generated waypoints whereas the Garmin has AA points of interest and purchasable software.

New Map

The size of our maps continually increases as we add more details such as new roads and other features.

In the recent past, due to size restraints, we have been forced to be selective about the amount of rich data such as lakes, forests and other landmarks we could include in order to provide a map which would fit on your device. To solve this, TomTom HOME has divided the map into 3 or 4 more manageable sections, called map zones. A map zone contains the same level of detail as a complete map, however is smaller in size and so will easily fit on your TomTom device.
This was the info I got from TomTom. With your device connected and logged on to computer, have a look what is installed on your TomTom device. Expand the + sign adjacent to MAPS , there should be a reference tp MAP ZONES. For Europe you will have the choice of 4 zones Northern Etc. . Check the size of them and select the zone that you want. Takes a while to download the zone but you can revert to whatever zone as & when.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Very important topic since this could be a serious issue for the ones who bought this device (haven't bought mine yet). It is essential to the product that you be able to change the regions at any time!

Anyway, I have two questions:

1) Which are the zones, and how are they divided (more or less, I mean... I live in northern Italy, so I would like to have at any time France, Austria, Germany, Croatia, etc)

2) Since obviously each regions is much smaller than 2gb (as the full Europe is 2,2gb), is it possible to have more than 1 region at the device at any time?

Thanks!

I do know that Italy and Germany are not both in the Europe-West map. Italy is, France is, Germany is not.
Sounds like something from the recent World Cup football, although you did the correct thing to miss out my home nation as they shouldn't have gone there in the first place based on the performance!

Only one zonal map will fit on the device, you are free to download all four to your PC, but its a backward step compared to the comprhensive mapping the device was supplied with when you purchased it - Mike

Map Update refund

After a lot of arguments I have managed to get assurance that my Map Update subscription will be refunded. I now cannot navigate across to Austria from the UK if I used the new maps. I am sticking with my old map and getting rid when the Live expires. It took a legal threat before I was taken seriusly! Very poor.:mad:

Support is Rubbish! :-(

Hi had problems from the day i bought my TT 520 :(

First i couldn't update the maps, and when i did they are still rubbish and out-of-date

i work in and around the south west, and if i have to go anywhere where the houses or estates are less than 10 years old (YES! Ten years) the post codes arent on the system? and the streets etc not on the map? :mad:

If that wasn't bad enough, the safty camera warnings are back to front :confused: or totally miss them all together, even cameras that have been there years, don't show up :confused:

I now have to use a Snooper for cameras, and a laptop for lots of the addresse

i spent months trying to get TomTom support to sort it
but they just fob you off :mad:

i wasted months sending them stuff, but i might as well give it to my dog to sort out :D

i'm now going to get a new one, but unless they've sorted the support and the problems, it will be a cheap one from someone else, can't be any worse?

Grant, if you are willing to spend a little time I am sure we can get your 520 working as it should be, most of the issues you mention can be resolved.
Lets start by understanding what you have currently got installed to the 520, switch it on (not connected to a PC), tap the sat strength meter (lower right corner of the screen) followed by the version box, the resultant screen contains lots of information about your unit, I am interested in the bits in bold:

App A.XYZ.12345
Map UK & ROI v123.1234

If the maps are up to date we can try to update the postcode data as that will be around four years old and doesn't get updated with a map! ClickHere to download the latest postcode data to your PC. Post back with the above information and we can work from there.

Safety Cameras from TomTom in the UK are well known to be little more than a joke, its a shame they even still sucker people in to using them, you say its coverage around Bristol is poor, I know coverage around most of the UK is pathetic. There is an answer though, consider loading pocketgpsworld.com Speed Camera data to your 520, once its set up (all of five minutes) the device will actually speak out the type of camera and associated speed limit, it also includes locations where mobile speed cameras are known to opperate from, its that accurate that should you report a camera thats not in the database you can get a free lifetime membership.

Ask a Question