XL in Win 7 - device not recognised

TomTom Model(s)
xl
Hello,

I have a TomTom XL and recently re-installed Windows 7 on my computer. However now when I attempt to update my GPS, it says 'USB device not recognised.'

I have tried re-setting the GPS. I have also tried using a different cable to connect the GPS to the PC. I have also downloaded all of the latest windows updates.

I haven't been able to find my model number yet...I think that I am going to have to pull the GPS apart to find it?!

Any help is much appreciated. My specs are below.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Pentium P6200 @ 2.13GHz 87 °C
Arrandale 32nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1668 (CPU) 81 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BEVT-60A23T0 (SATA) 48 °C
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW TS-L633R
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Ok I just looked at TomTom home on my desktop.

When I clicked 'read the manual for my device' it says that the device is a XL 30.

A stupid question perhaps but does your invoice show the model type?

Try resetting the unt by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds (unless your unit has a dedicated reset hole) and try connecting again.You should be using the cable that came with the unit. Also, connect to a usb port on the back, not the front, of the computer.

Did you ever make a backup of the contents of the unit? If so, you'll see a text file called ttgo.bif that will show the model.

A stupid question perhaps but does your invoice show the model type?

Try resetting the unt by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds (unless your unit has a dedicated reset hole) and try connecting again.You should be using the cable that came with the unit. Also, connect to a usb port on the back, not the front, of the computer.

Tried this but no luck unfortunately. And the only receipt I have is the credit card statement.

Try running Home 2 in XP compatible mode. Also make sure you are using the cable that came with the device and are using a usb port on the back of the computer.

Also, reset the unit. Either by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole on the bottom.

Ask a Question