XL 340s Not finding updates

T5i

I just got a xl340s for Christmas and I've been trying to update it. First attempt it froze every time I turned it on. So I went to the TomTom website and did the remove application and reinstall application. After that my computer couldn't recognize the GPS. I restarted the computer and It now recognizes it.

I open HOME and click Update my One XL. (Its not a ONE XL.) But it doesn't find any updates even when I removed the application.

Is there a way I can force an application update?
How can I fix this?

Edit: It doesn't ask me if I would like to connect to 'Computer'.

Edit2: Now every time I click check for updates, I get an error saying "The Connection to the TomTom server timed out"

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF!

Did you read the announcement at the top of the forum you've logged into? If not please do so, especially point number 1.

Welcome to TTF!

Did you read the announcement at the top of the forum you've logged into? If not please do so, especially point number 1.

Dang. Should have looked here before going on the TomTom website. I made the second DownloadOLD folder. Can I get anything from there?

Well, if you did rename it as downloadOLD, then you should be able to start fresh with new downloads as it should recreate the folder. But you have made your Explorer backup, right?? :)

I just got a xl340s for Christmas and I've been trying to update it. First attempt it froze every time I turned it on. So I went to the TomTom website and did the remove application and reinstall application. After that my computer couldn't recognize the GPS. I restarted the computer and It now recognizes it.

I open HOME and click Update my One XL. (Its not a ONE XL.) But it doesn't find any updates even when I removed the application.

Is there a way I can force an application update?
How can I fix this?

Edit: It doesn't ask me if I would like to connect to 'Computer'.

Edit2: Now every time I click check for updates, I get an error saying "The Connection to the TomTom server timed out"

Very Very Important!
Back up your current map first.
Then:Click on "Tools" and "Use latest map guarantee."
Works for me.
I was getting the same error becofre I did the above.

But you have made your Explorer backup, right?? :)

I wish. I looked in the Download folder and didnt see anything.

I'm heading to Radio Shack tomorrow to exchange it. This time I'm going to back it up as soon as I plug it into my computer.

Thanks for your help dhn. Even though my problem wasn't fixed I found a good resource for troubleshooting.

Very Very Important!
Back up your current map first.
Then:Click on "Tools" and "Use latest map guarantee."
Works for me.
I was getting the same error becofre I did the above.

I tried that. It said I had a map available so I downloaded it but it still wasn't working.

I wish. I looked in the Download folder and didn't see anything.

I'm heading to Radio Shack tomorrow to exchange it. This time I'm going to back it up as soon as I plug it into my computer.

Thanks for your help dhn. Even though my problem wasn't fixed I found a good resource for troubleshooting.

Let us know how it goes.
Remember.......The very FIRST thing you should do is back up your map to a safe place before you even begin to tinker. That way you can always go back to the manufacturers original configuration that works out of the box. And never ever never download BETA updates. Let some other poor soul be their guinea pig.first.

I went to Radio Shack and exchanged it. Now it works great. I just got back from a trip to Indiana and used it the whole way. Loved it. Yesterday, I got home and updated it.

When I got the first 340 for Christmas I made an account and linked it to that 340. Now it wont let me switch to the one I just exchanged it for. Do I have to call Customer service to get it switched?

Also, when I try to use the latest map guarantee it comes up with an error saying that C:\Users\<username>\Documents\TomTom\Download\complete\map\USA_Canada_Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip is an invalid file.

Create a new email address account for the new unit. It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper format of (e-mail address removed)

Rename the download folder to downloadOLD and you should be able to again get the LMG for the new unit.

Create a new email address account for the new unit. It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper format of (e-mail address removed)

Rename the download folder to downloadOLD and you should be able to again get the LMG for the new unit.

They both worked. Thanks. But now after I downloaded the new map I can't install it because it says theres not enough room. I still need 960kb. I deleted a couple car Icons.What else can I delete on the TomTom without screwing it up?

Remove all voices from the unit and try the install again. You can add back voices later.

Remove all voices from the unit and try the install again. You can add back voices later.

Alright. I got the map update. Now I can't use the voice I was using before, Susan. I can't find her in the back up made either. Does anyone have a file I can download to get her back? Is it somewhere else in the file?

Actuall I just realized that I don't have the data1.chk/.vif through data5.chk/vif voice files.

Could someone send them to me?

Will it connect to Tomtom HOME now? If not, try a reset and try connecting again.

If it connects, go to "Add voices" in Tomtom HOME, otherwise just download from the link in this thread.

Ask a Question