XL 335S - No Map Found after update

Hooked up the wife's brand new XL335S to TomTom HOME last night to update the software. Had to go through a couple tries to get everything updated. Now all I get is a "No Maps Found" message when trying to turn on the TomTom. Since customer service was closed last night I did some searching online & tried a couple things w/ no success. Called customer service today & spent a hour on phone working on resolution. They said they would send me a link that would give me instructions. The link was simply instructions to check the disk for errors (which I have done several times) so that was of no help.

• Removed map from TomTom via HOME.
  • Tried to update via Map Guarantee but file is 1.6gb & it says I only have 1.5gb avail. Only have ~50mb of content that is available for removal in HOME. Don't know what is taking up the 400+mb that it says is installed on device (I wouldn't think that the system data would need 400mb).
  • I have two maps on my local PC, both named North_America_P. One is in the Downloads folder & one is in the FromDevice.
  • FromDevice has North_America_P.zip & Downloads has that file inside of a North_America folder (along w/ a activation_map cab file.
  • I have tried to manually update the maps via PC a couple times w/ no luck.

If I format the TomTom via PC will I be able to reinstall all the software or will I have a bricked system? Will it void any warranty? Any help is appreciated as it seems that customer service really doesn't have an idea on how to proceed & I'd like to avoid shipping the TomTom back (purchased from Target online).

* Of course I did not backup anything before updating since that was the first thing we did before using the device.

Last edited:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit using Explorer. NO folders or their files.
3. Connect to Home and it should offer you an application. Download and install.
4. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer; use Home's device disconnect. Then close Home. Make sure the Home icon is not showing in the notification area. If it is, right click and Exit.
5. Connect the unit to the computer. Don't start Home. Use the information here to install the map in your download folder without using Home.
6. Again, disconnect properly and restart.

Does that help?

Not enough disk space to manually install the maps (1.51gb free of 1.91gb total). Says I need another 79.1mb of space. The catch is that if I go into HOME to manage my device I only have 63.1mb of items that I could remove (applications, voices, map overlays, car symbols & shut down images). It's almost like the corrupted map update is holding disk space.

Any other suggestions?

Yes. Use Explorer to format your internal memory. don't use quickformat.

Then, connect the unit to Home. It should offer an application. Accept only that and install. now shut down Home completely (make sure the icon is not showing in the notification area). Then try the manual install again.

If it loads properly, you can again connect to Home and download voices.

Not enough disk space to manually install the maps (1.51gb free of 1.91gb total). Says I need another 79.1mb of space. The catch is that if I go into HOME to manage my device I only have 63.1mb of items that I could remove (applications, voices, map overlays, car symbols & shut down images). It's almost like the corrupted map update is holding disk space.

Any other suggestions?

Home should let you install once you remove all your voices.

If not, try the manual install process here, but remove all the cspeech files from your map install. The cspeech files are for voice commands, and you don't have a microphone on your model.

dhn - You are a savior! It took several hours to complete but our device is fully functional again. Thanks a million times over for your help.

I'm making a backup at the moment to avoid this from happening again in the future. (like I should have initially) :)

mvl - Thanks for taking the time to respond too.

I am really glad to hear that! Trust me, we moderators are almost as frustrated as you 'victims' with the rigamarole some of you are having to go through over what should be a relatively process.

I have also a XL 335 and I can't update my map using "Latest map guarantee" since it keeps saying I need to free some space, I've deleted the old map hoping this would free enough space to no avail! I've done everything except erasing the memory, which I'm worried I might have problems with getting the latest map...

Can anyone help..thank you

Markkk

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. Look at the map folder. Do you see a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files? If so, you can remove them as they're used for Voice Recognition only and your model does not have that functionality.

Wow...that's a quick reply...!!!

Oddly I don't see a map folder on the device and everytime I connect my device to my computer I get a "scan disk" message?

Thanks

I missed the fact you said you removed the old map (I HOPE you backed it up).

Anyway, your new map will be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Same thing.......look at the contents of the compressed map folder using Winrar. If you see the files I mentioned, remove them from the map folder and try the install again.

No, I didn't do a backup. I removed it so I would have more space to install the new map, and under the path you provided the folder is empty.

That is NOT a good thing!

When you get the 'scan disk' message, do you allow Windows Explorer to do it?

I did let windows scan it but it took for ever the last time I ran it so I cancelled it, almost seems to be hung.

I'm running Vista, so I think that's the reason why it's complaining.

Last edited:
Try running Home in XP compatible mode. See if that helps.

If not, afraid you'll have to call support at 866-486-6866 and explain what you did (removing the original map without a backup) and ask that they either offer the 840 map for you or at least the 835 map that you can download and try the process again.

But PLEASE, an Explorer backup first!

In HOME, go to "Update my XL", and accept only the application update. Keep doing that until you get application 9.025. This fixes many issues with USB failures on the Tomtom.

Then quickformat the drive, and then do the update steps again installing everything except voices.

Then you should have space to install your map. (Add traffic/voices -> items on computer -> map)

When you're done, go ahead and install a computer voice.

Ask a Question