GO920 with old map versus XL335S with new map?

jbs

I've had a GO920 for a couple of years and really love it. I recently bought an XL335S at Costco for $95 as a gift but now don't need it (recipient already went and bought one on their own!). It's unopened and can be returned, but since I'd been thinking about buying a new map for my 920 I wanted to get some advice. To be clear, I've no intent to defraud here, I can easily return the unopened unit to Costco and spend a few bucks less on the maps, but I like Costco and I like TomTom and I know even an unopened device often has to be considered a refurb. If I can avoid returning it I'd like to. So . . .

1. Is it allowed and is it possible if I'm not using the XL335S to move it's map to my GO920

2. If not, is it allowed and is it possible to use the Latest Map Guarantee from my XL355S on my 920. Again, I would not be using the XL335S.

3. Finally, if I were to just use the new device (and perhaps sell the GO920) it seems that I'd gain advanced lane guidance and Fold and Go, but I'd lose the ability to use the remote control, as well as the music and media jukebox. Is that correct? Would most of you generally prefer the 920 over the XL335S? The TomTom comparator tool doesn't include the old Go920 so I can't see how they stack up. The XL335S does not *come* with a remote, but would my GO920 Remote *work* with it? Are the other features similar?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I appreciate it!

--Jason

Jason, the LMG will not work with your 920 so forget that idea, you have 28 days to use LMG with the device it was supplied with.
A 920 running up to date software and maps will provide ALG/ Reality view etc and the FM Tx/ media player will still work as will the handsfree for the phone.

The XL doesn't have Bluetooth so the remote won't work with it period, neither can it conect to a phone and as you have noticed it doesn't have media player of FM Tx.

To be honest I would update the 920 and keep it as its a far more capable device, return the XL for a refund and use that cash to pay for the map update so your 920 has Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View as these features are dependent upon data in the map - Mike

Ask a Question