Wow ... airport directions WAY off

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Had my first bad .. ney, horrible ... experience with my GO 720. Last Thursday, I flew to Chicago out of the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport in Manchester, NH.

I had never been to that airport before, so I let the TomTom guide me. MHT was listed as one of the POIs, so no problem, right? Wrong!

I can't figure out whether the POI's location was the middle of the runway or someplace else, but where it was not was the terminal entrance. Now, given that airports can be big, I don't expect TomTom to know precisely which terminal or parking lot I need to be in, but I do expect it to take me to the airport's entrance.

Instead, it took me to the back of the airport near some industrial buildings and maintenance sheds -- a part of the airport that bordered the runway, opposite of the terminal and not connected to any terminal access roads whatsoever.

In other words, it was WAY, WAY off.

I haven't yet explored whether you can report POI location errors, but I'm very dismayed that something as signficant as an airport would be so bad. A local gas station, school, or some other business, sure ... but an airport is a pretty common destination.

I was about ready to trade my TomTom in for a Garmin after this blunder.

So ... anyway I can ensure this blatant error is corrected?

When I read the title of the thread, I was expecting to read that it took you somewhere else. But it actually took you to the airport... and how big is the Manchester, N.H., airport?

I'd consider that a minor inconvenience, not a big one. The POI is probably based on the official street address of the airport, or something like that.

Your right bad TomTom -TT1 V3 has same error

I just picked up a TT1 last week and found the same error. TT took you to the site of the old runway (15+ years old) which now used for small private aircraft. Why? I think because your approached the airport from I93 South like I did, which is obviously wrong. If you approach the Manchester airport from Rte 3 south it will direct you to the commercial side via Brown Avenue. Not too impressed. We both have the latest maps V705.1481. Over the weekend TT1 could not locate Kendall Street in Cambridge MA. The street is a minimum of two years old and listed on all other mapping sites. I also discovered a local street near home not showing as dead end, but as a through street. Bottom line appears to be map data and I read (too much lately) else where on the net TT maps around the Northeast are very error prone, but they might be better in other US locations. I like the TT1 features, UI and price, but as an outside sales guy I need more accuracy... bye-bye TomTom

Two points --

One, yes, it took me to the airport, but the back side where I was trapped in a maze of industrial buildings, dead-end streets and chain link fences. If not for the aid of a local official who happened to be at a maintenance shed I ended up at, I might never of found the actual entrance to the airport. It was, without exaggeration, a solid 5-7 minute ride from where I was around the airport's perimeter to the right place. When one has a flight to catch, one cannot endure "close to the airport" as acceptable.

Second, I thought what made the TomTom so much more attractive than other GPS was the MapShare. The location of the airport is wrong, so note it, upload it to MapShare, and it will be right next time. But of the two or so changes I've made so far, none appear in my system -- and I cannot figure out how to update an incorrect POI. So, what good is MapShare? I'm sure it has value somewhere, but I'm a bit frustrated with TomTom at the moment.

It could be that since Mapshare is new, they're still working out the kinks. Do you have your unit preferences set so that it will accept all Mapshare changes made by users? It could be screening out ones that haven't been verified by TomTom.

To edit a POI entry yourself, use Main Menu > Change Preferences > Manage POIs > Edit POI .

I'm in the Southwest, and my maps haven't been wrong once. They seem to have a handle on New York City, too. So the issue may be regional.

Last edited:
To edit a POI entry yourself, use Main Menu > Change Preferences > Manage POIs > Edit POI .

You can't (or at least I can't) edit all POIs that way, only Fire stations, Playing fields, and Schools. Airports, Banks, etc. aren't listed as options.

A few years ago heading to Logan, my TTN took me to Winthrop, looking at runways across the water! A twenty minute drive. Good thing I leave plenty of time to catch flights.

Now, if it is timely, I zoom in on POIs to double check, especially airports.

Last edited:
You can't (or at least I can't) edit all POIs that way, only Fire stations, Playing fields, and Schools. Airports, Banks, etc. aren't listed as options.

Select Map Corrections ->Correct a map error -> Edit POI -> POI in city -> Manchester NH -> Airport -> Pick the Airport and click Select -> Move the POI on the map.

What street address would you use? It looks like 9 Airport Rd., Manchester, NH is where it should be. Let me know and I'll also submit the correction which should make it more likely to get pushed out sooner in a Map Share update.

Select Map Corrections ->Correct a map error -> Edit POI -> POI in city -> Manchester NH -> Airport -> Pick the Airport and click Select -> Move the POI on the map.

What street address would you use? It looks like 9 Airport Rd., Manchester, NH is where it should be. Let me know and I'll also submit the correction which should make it more likely to get pushed out sooner in a Map Share update.

Thanks. I'll try this when I get home tonight and let you know.

CPAScott

Ask a Question