Tom Tom through Airport Xray and metal detectors

Can the data in my Tom Tom GPS be damaged by airport xray machines or metal detectors.
A Go 720 with 2 GIG SD card.
I have heard that the metal detctor can damage data but the Xray is OK.
Is this right?

There are many posts here and elsewhere from people using their gps units on planes so I would presume there will be no problems ....

If you DO plan to turn it on:
1. Check with the flight attendants first as not all airlines allow it
2. You probably won't get a gps signal unless you have a window seat

Can the data in my Tom Tom GPS be damaged by airport xray machines or metal detectors.
A Go 720 with 2 GIG SD card.
I have heard that the metal detctor can damage data but the Xray is OK.
Is this right?
I've been through both many times with my TomTom and Garmin hand-held, and never had a problem. Then again, I've never gone through the x-ray with it.

Uh .. what I meant. My GPS units have never had a problem.

I never went through the x-ray. Bad idea. And the TSA folks have zero sense of humor.

I've had lots of problems, mostly related to jet lag from flying across the Pacific in the wrong direction. Even my TomTom knows better than to do that.:p

Your electronics will be just fine.

Thanks , I was not sure about what it might do to an SD memory card .
No I don't want to turn it on in the plane I just want it to arrive undamaged with all the planning data intact .

Last edited:
No worries. I've taken mine on both domestic and international flights. I always take mine in my carry-on bag, same as my laptop. No harm to either. I would never leave anything of value in checked luggage. The vast majority of people who might handle you bag are fine and honest folks, but there have been stories of thefts.

With only 7 kilos of allowed cabin luggage I will just scrape in under weight.
I will take you advice and not leave anything valuable in my checked luggage as far as electronics goes.
We are not even taking real good clothing either as there is no formal nights on this trip .

We are not even taking real good clothing either as there is no formal nights on this trip .
Sounds like a cruise to me! The x-ray of your personal carry-on at the gangway won't bother your SD card or electronics, either. I can't tell you how many times I've run my GPS and cameras through Celebrity's equipment, and never a burp.

Ask a Question