Wow, this is ridiculous (8.15 related)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
On Sept 17 of this year I purchased map version 8.10 and was very excited to have new maps, ALG, etc. I paid a healthy $129.99 for the maps.

Now I see that TT has released 8.15 as of Nov 11 and has also lowered the price to $109.99. I called TT support and expressed my displeasure with this situation and they of course inform me that they only have a 30 day map guarantee. All of this despite releasing a new map less than 2 months after a big release AND lowering the price $20.

Anyone find this absurd? I specifically waited for a version 8 map (I was on 7.10) so I can get the new content and ALG. Tom Tom can't even cut me break and give me a courtesy upgrade which I find ridiculous.

On Sept 17 of this year I purchased map version 8.10 and was very excited to have new maps, ALG, etc. I paid a healthy $129.99 for the maps.

Now I see that TT has released 8.15 as of Nov 11 and has also lowered the price to $109.99. I called TT support and expressed my displeasure with this situation and they of course inform me that they only have a 30 day map guarantee. All of this despite releasing a new map less than 2 months after a big release AND lowering the price $20.

Anyone find this absurd? I specifically waited for a version 8 map (I was on 7.10) so I can get the new content and ALG. Tom Tom can't even cut me break and give me a courtesy upgrade which I find ridiculous.

I don't blame you for being upset but if you look at the size of you 8.10 map compaired to the size of the 8.15 I don't think you are missing anything, just MOP

For a mater of fact you might even have a better map in the 8.10 ??

The latest map guarantee applies to new device purchases only, and does not apply to straight map purchases. You SHOULD be able to get the new 8.15 without cost at this point. Call them back and make it clear you are not talking about the latest map guarantee.

The latest map guarantee applies to new device purchases only, and does not apply to straight map purchases. You SHOULD be able to get the new 8.15 without cost at this point. Call them back and make it clear you are not talking about the latest map guarantee.

I've just sent them an email, we'll see what they say. I even spoke to a supervisor on the phone and he was no help at all. Two main things that bother me here are:

1. It's been less than 2 months since I shelled out $130 for a map.
2. The new map is $20 cheaper, which makes NO sense (it's not like they're having a map clearance sale like over the summer before 8.x was released).

You think I might have some recourse here? In my account it says I can download my map until Sept of 2009, but they mean my V 8.10 map which I already have backed up.

I've just sent them an email, we'll see what they say. I even spoke to a supervisor on the phone and he was no help at all. Two main things that bother me here are:

1. It's been less than 2 months since I shelled out $130 for a map.
2. The new map is $20 cheaper, which makes NO sense (it's not like they're having a map clearance sale like over the summer before 8.x was released).

You think I might have some recourse here? In my account it says I can download my map until Sept of 2009, but they mean my V 8.10 map which I already have backed up.

Ohh that's right! Doesn't TomTom usually deeply discount maps to almost 50% when they are about to release a map? I wonder if this map upgrade includes ANY road updates. It seems like they pushed it out for the new IQ routing.. But I highly doubt that. I do see they integrated mapshare updates into it.

Also, this map being so new, yesterday I already had to download mapshare updates, and the number is up to 5426 corrections.

Lesson learnt.
Must wait for more than 2 months to buy map and keep all fingers crossed that they won't release another one within next 2 months and also hope the price will be higher.

Lesson learnt.
Must wait for more than 2 months to buy map and keep all fingers crossed that they won't release another one within next 2 months and also hope the price will be higher.

They SERIOUSLY need to set up the yearly subscriptions in North America also instead of just Europe! I find it ridiculous as well that one would pay so much money for a map, just so another one comes out in a VERY short amount of time, AND the new one being cheaper!!! I didn't pay for my 810 map, I got it through LMG, but it DID drive me insane to find out that only 13 days later a newer map was released, which is why I gave TomTom a piece of my mind, and then they finally gave in and gave me another free upgrade to the latest map yesterday.

I too find it a little bogus that after downloading NA Maps v815, chances are that it will be my last outside of a pirated version ( I would rather not ). I just bought my 920 2 months ago and already they have had 3 version 8.05 and v810 and now v815 and my 920 came with 7.something maps.

However every time when I called them so far they attached both 810 and 815 to my tomtom account. So I can complain too much.

But after this I think I will have to pay for my next map upgrade which I doubt I will do due to the price tag for accuracy that I will not get in a device that was purchased less then 6/8 months prior.

MC

Even after talking to a supervisior today they refuse to give me the upgrade on a unit I have only had 3 weeks. To make me feel better they informed me that there was very little data update in 8.15 and that it was mainly for functionality in older units. Which turnip truck does he think I just fell off?

I guess I could return my unit and buy another but they have gone off sale and it would cost me another $100. I don't think it's worth it! :mad:

And it continues with these people...

I am out of luck. I spend $20 more than I had to for an older map. So ridiculous. Tom Tom is definitely not earning a repeat customer here. Content of the email I was sent today:

"Dear Chad,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding map updates. We understand your frustration, however, we cannot provide a free update for the map that you purchased several months ago in September.

Our map files do not carry an update warranty. We may, however, provide an updated map as a courtesy if the file was purchased within 14 days of the new map release. As it has been almost 2 months since this was purchased, any further map updates desired will need to be bought. Please note, your device will function normally if you choose not to update the map again at this time. Since many map issues can be resolved through Map Share, we recommend updating the maps on you're device approximately once a year.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Erica
TomTom Customer Support"

Funny how they say a "map purchased several months ago in September". Umm, last I checked Sept 17 was less than 2 months ago.

Which was the exact day I bought my 8.10 map. I don't suppose it's any comfort to know that if we were in Europe and could partake of the subscription series offered Europeans, we could get a 8.15 map for about $15.

Nah, didn't think so ...........:eek: :rolleyes:

New maps much too expensive

I got the notice for the new maps and was shocked to see they cost $109 for North America. I sent this message to Tomtom using my acocunt on their website:

"$109 for a map is MUCH TOO expensive! I would consider that price for a one year subscription with quarterly updates, but no way will I buy one map for $109. At that price, I'll go two years on a map then just buy a new GPS unit. Good ones are available for $250 and have the latest map, so that way I get a new map AND a new unit every two years. The old unit becomes a spare or a gift. And, if TomTom maps are still $109 a year from now, I won't be buying another Tomtom, instead I'll look at a Garmin or a Magellan, or perhaps some other brand with decent map pricing.

I thought Map share would reduce map prices, since 10's of thousands of us (including me) are helping you improve the maps. I feel cheated, and if I can't buy a map of North America for $50, I'm not getting another Tomtom."

Yes, I'm ticked, and I mean it about switching brands. I've used TT for about 5 years, but I don't feel like I'm really benefiting from all the Mapshare corrections I've turn in.

Doesn't TomTom update their maps four times a year now? It also seems like they discount their maps at least once or twice a year. The last time was their Summer Sales promo when all maps were 30% off.

A question for dhn- Can you make a one time purchase of the map update at the discounted rate or do you have to pay for all updates for the year which breaks down to about $15 per quarter? I wonder why this is Europe only.

Keep in mind not everyone had version 8 maps. Us ONE owners don't have one. The latest would be a 7.xx map.

I got the notice for the new maps and was shocked to see they cost $109 for North America. I sent this message to Tomtom using my acocunt on their website:

"$109 for a map is MUCH TOO expensive! I would consider that price for a one year subscription with quarterly updates, but no way will I buy one map for $109. At that price, I'll go two years on a map then just buy a new GPS unit. Good ones are available for $250 and have the latest map, so that way I get a new map AND a new unit every two years. The old unit becomes a spare or a gift. And, if TomTom maps are still $109 a year from now, I won't be buying another Tomtom, instead I'll look at a Garmin or a Magellan, or perhaps some other brand with decent map pricing.

I thought Map share would reduce map prices, since 10's of thousands of us (including me) are helping you improve the maps. I feel cheated, and if I can't buy a map of North America for $50, I'm not getting another Tomtom."

Yes, I'm ticked, and I mean it about switching brands. I've used TT for about 5 years, but I don't feel like I'm really benefiting from all the Mapshare corrections I've turn in.
I'm still on v6.05 maps LOL.

Doesn't TomTom update their maps four times a year now? It also seems like they discount their maps at least once or twice a year. The last time was their Summer Sales promo when all maps were 30% off.

A question for dhn- Can you make a one time purchase of the map update at the discounted rate or do you have to pay for all updates for the year which breaks down to about $15 per quarter? I wonder why this is Europe only.

If you are in NA, you are S.O.L when it comes to subscriptions. They may offer older maps at a discount prior to releasing new ones. To my knowledge, they did NOT discount NA 810 prior to releasing NA 815

Interesting update

I just got the following email in my inbox:

"Dear Mr Chad,

A new map of North America v: 815 is now in your account and is ready to be downloaded and installed to your device. For help with this process, please visit www.tomtom.com/6930

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thank you again for choosing TomTom.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I need to get my 720 from my car so I can verify this is true. I'll report back.

I downloaded and installed the 815.2019 map this afternoon.

Anybody has any idea what the eMail received just now means?
To:
Subject: Compensation for 'Map of North America v8.15' subscription.
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 01:13:04 +0100 (CET)

The smart choice in personal navigation

Dear Arno,

Due to a technical reasons, 'Map of North America v8.15' has been temporarily unavailable. To compensate for this inconvenience we have granted you a compensation product of the same subscription. This compensation product will give you access to your subscription for an additional period (equal to the duration of the outage) at the end of your normal subscription.

Map of North America v8.15 USD 109,95
Compensation discount - USD 109,95
Total USD 0,00

Best regards, TomTom

Edit profile Privacy Policy Support
This is a service message. Please do not respond to this message.
Checking Maps with HOME I see that I got a much smaller 815 map than the 805 (and they offer for me to buy the 805 in EUROs although it is on my computer).

View attachment 2256

Wonder if it is the same game that played with the small W&CE_2GB map that came bundled with my unit and where LMG insisted that I had the latest map while I knew from the UK that latest map was the 805.

I wonder if other 930 users have a different 815 map than the 2019.

Last edited:
I don't understand what all the complaining is about. A new map came out 2 months after the map update was purchased. Hello? Map updates are release quarterly from TeleAtlas (so of coarse a new map is going to be release a couple months or sooner after you buy a map). I think it's great that TT is constantly providing updated maps. And while it might me nice if TT gave away free maps, the market doesn't work that way.

Ask a Question