Wow, this is ridiculous (8.15 related)

I don't understand what all the complaining is about. A new map came out 2 months after the map update was purchased. Hello? Map updates are release quarterly from TeleAtlas (so of coarse a new map is going to be release a couple months or sooner after you buy a map). I think it's great that TT is constantly providing updated maps. And while it might me nice if TT gave away free maps, the market doesn't work that way.

Last I checked, 2 MONTHS does NOT equal 1/4 (quarter) so umm, we do have room to complain. Not only that, there was no map sale at all with 810. What the heck is TomTom doing?? :confused:

I downloaded and installed the 815.2019 map this afternoon.

Anybody has any idea what the eMail received just now means?

Checking Maps with HOME I see that I got a much smaller 815 map than the 805 (and they offer for me to buy the 805 in EUROs although it is on my computer).

View attachment 2256

Wonder if it is the same game that played with the small W&CE_2GB map that came bundled with my unit and where LMG insisted that I had the latest map while I knew from the UK that latest map was the 805.

I wonder if other 930 users have a different 815 map than the 2019.

Like I said in an earlier post, ignore that email. They send that when ever they give you a free map upgrade through tech support. I too receievd about 9 of those emails for map 815 and have also received 2 of those exact emails when I got my 810 map through LMG by calling tech support. Ignore the emails!

Last I checked, 2 MONTHS does NOT equal 1/4 (quarter) so umm, we do have room to complain. Not only that, there was no map sale at all with 810. What the heck is TomTom doing?? :confused:

?? I said TeleAtlas releases updates once a quarter (that's the map database TomTom uses to create thier maps). So it is nice to see TomTom update maps a few times throughout the year (rather than an annual update like many other map programs). But that's not the point.

The map was purchased and it wasn't until two months after that purchase, that new version came out. That's like 60 days, as in twice the GPS map guarantee or 4 times the Map Purchase guarantee. So I don't see the problem. Our maps will always be out of date a few months after getting it, due to TomTom is good about putting out updates.

You are missing the point.

The same timing difference of maps would result in a user paying about $13 US for the updated map in Europe as TomTom offers subscriptions for map updates there; in NA, the update is over $100 US for the same 2-month old map.

As long as they are working out for you in your area then it's cool.

Many members's houses still don't exist according to TomTom.
I"m not too anal. Yes it took me a while to find a faster (probably shorter too) route to the airport and only because I looked at the 2009 paper map but other than that, i'm not too anal. The GPS is a guidance not god so even if it has a few errors (like directing me to a enclosed neighbourhood for a restaurant that's in a mall opposite the street) won't piss me off.

I don't understand what all the complaining is about. A new map came out 2 months after the map update was purchased. Hello? Map updates are release quarterly from TeleAtlas (so of coarse a new map is going to be release a couple months or sooner after you buy a map). I think it's great that TT is constantly providing updated maps. And while it might me nice if TT gave away free maps, the market doesn't work that way.

Well actually it was quite a bit less than 2 months, so you're wrong. Additionally the maps were a full $20 cheaper which really pissed me off. All is well now though, I've got the new map version free of charge. Trust me if you've dealt with the the crap I have with TomTom you would be ranting as well.

So how are the new 8.15 maps? Has Tele Atlas vastly improved any areas (Canada, rural areas, etc) that may have been improved by MapShare corrections?

don't know about the POI database, but in term of street-wise, v815 is definitely better as more roads added.

I was formerly on 8.10 and now 8.15 and haven't noticed a difference in my area. I'll be taking a Thanksgiving road trip though so we'll see then.

The one thing that is different is my POI database. Currently I'm running 8.15 maps with the standard POI db for my 720. I previously was using 8.10 maps with the 8.10 POI db from the GO920. This POI db is vastly smaller (like 1/3 the size) of the 920 poi. There still seems to be many businesses lacking.

I guess my Issue with 8.15 map is that it is over 200 MB smaller than 8.10 ( not sure if that is just in the POI ? ) It causes the voice to studder when using 8.15 map & 8.30 app.

So what I am thinking of doing is reverted back to 8.10 for NA & 8.15 for W/C EU on app 8.30, Unless someone can show me a benefit of using the 8.15 N/A Map over the 8.10,

I won't need the W/C EU for some time and by then hopefully TT will have the studdering problem fixed.

The same timing difference of maps would result in a user paying about $13 US for the updated map in Europe as TomTom offers subscriptions for map updates there; in NA, the update is over $100 US for the same 2-month old map.

Does the European subscription include NA Maps over there also ? If so, I wonder if registering an account on a European website with a European email address would get access to the subscription. I have some friends over there who could set it up for me.

I guess my Issue with 8.15 map is that it is over 200 MB smaller than 8.10 ( not sure if that is just in the POI ? ) It causes the voice to studder when using 8.15 map & 8.30 app.

So what I am thinking of doing is reverted back to 8.10 for NA & 8.15 for W/C EU on app 8.30, Unless someone can show me a benefit of using the 8.15 N/A Map over the 8.10,

I won't need the W/C EU for some time and by then hopefully TT will have the studdering problem fixed.

Mine was stuttering this morning; a pin reset seems to have resolved that with my computer voice.

On Sept 17 of this year I purchased map version 8.10 and was very excited to have new maps, ALG, etc. I paid a healthy $129.99 for the maps.

Now I see that TT has released 8.15 as of Nov 11 and has also lowered the price to $109.99. I called TT support and expressed my displeasure with this situation and they of course inform me that they only have a 30 day map guarantee. All of this despite releasing a new map less than 2 months after a big release AND lowering the price $20.

Anyone find this absurd? I specifically waited for a version 8 map (I was on 7.10) so I can get the new content and ALG. Tom Tom can't even cut me break and give me a courtesy upgrade which I find ridiculous.

Since they release a map every quarter (about once every 3 months) it's to be expected that a new map might be out of date in two months (unless you bought it right when it came out). No one expects you to buy every map; the map you've got probably is current enough if you buy once every 18 months or so.

What *is* unfortunate is that you can't take advantage of the newest features without the newest map. That's worth pointing out to TomTom.

Since they release a map every quarter (about once every 3 months) it's to be expected that a new map might be out of date in two months (unless you bought it right when it came out). No one expects you to buy every map; the map you've got probably is current enough if you buy once every 18 months or so.

What *is* unfortunate is that you can't take advantage of the newest features without the newest map. That's worth pointing out to TomTom.

A subscription method is the only way to solve this problem. Paying over $100 every few months is WAYYYYY too much money for nearly anyone, especially NOT knowing if the update will benefit you. Many people's houses/neighborhoods don't exist according to TomTom's map, and the user will not know if the next update will fix this issue.

Not everybody knows about these forums or knows someone with a TomTom with the newest map to test out the new map and see if their house is included in the newest map. Searching TeleAtlas (also not everyone knows about) can maybe give an idea of what the next map will look like, but again isn't 100% certain.

I was shocked to begin with that you even had to pay for ANY maps in the first place. When I originally bought my XL, I thought I was good to go and that's the end of it. I guess this is the cost of "free GPS service"

We all need to let TomTom know our feelings and also that we DO support a subscription plan here in NA.

I agree that a subscription based system would be great.

Well actually it was quite a bit less than 2 months, so you're wrong. Additionally the maps were a full $20 cheaper which really pissed me off. All is well now though, I've got the new map version free of charge. Trust me if you've dealt with the the crap I have with TomTom you would be ranting as well.

OK, 6 days less than 2 months....

On Sept 17 of this year I purchased map version 8.10 and was very excited to have new maps, ALG, etc. I paid a healthy $129.99 for the maps.

Now I see that TT has released 8.15 as of Nov 11 and has also lowered the price to $109.99.

But I do see your point about the price change...

Since Tele Atlas powers Google Maps now, I have been using that to check up on their coverage and accuracy before getting a new TomTom map update.

Now of course, google servers have slightly more storage space than my TomTom's internal memory - so the maps won't be exactly the same between TomTom and Google Maps, but I've found that they are pretty darn close. I'm just saying that it's a good rough gauge of how the new TT maps will cover your area.

Anyone else using Google maps for comparison?

Ask a Question