Won't operate after update, not sure exact model

Hi - I'm not sure of the exact model number of my Tomtom GPS, here's what's on the bottom of the unit:
TOMTOM (hands) XL
(checkmark) N14644
Canada310

I installed Tomtom home on my PC, did an update and now the unit won't operate. Holding down the power button for about 2 or 3 seconds brings up the Tomtom splash screen and drum sound. Then it changes to a blue screen with the GPS in the upper left, "Tomtom XL" in the upper right and the moving yellow bar across the bottom. Then the a TomTom graphic comes up and stays on indefinitely. I have to hold the power button for 15 seconds to turn it off.

I tried to do a restore from theTomtom home program but it didn't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks -

If your model has a reset hole, try a pin reset. If it doesn't, hold the power button for about 20 seconds and then see if it connects ok.

Thanks dhn - I looked for a pin reset hole but didn't find one. Is there another way to achieve the same result as a pin/paper clip reset on units without that feature?

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks -

Thanks dhn - When I hold the power button down for about 20 seconds I get the graphic of the hands with the drums and then a text screen for about 10 seconds. Next the blue screen with the GPS in the upper left, "Tomtom XL" in the upper right and the moving yellow bar across the bottom. Finally the graphic appears like I'm looking over the dashboard of a car and the words "TOMTOM (hands logo) XL" in the lower right. That's where it hangs.

Problem solved! But it took 2 calls to Tom Tom support to fix the unit. Here's what I found out:

Apparently I did an update with V1.5 of TomTom Home software and this updated my unit with the wrong application. I should have used the latest version (V2.5) but I couldn't get it to run on my PC. The rep told me this is not uncommon. She pointed me to a link for the previous version, V2.3 I think. Using this version I reinstalled the application and everything is back to normal.

And from the serial number on the unit I found out I have a model XL330.

Thanks dhn for your help.

Ask a Question