TomTom Home 'Operate my RIDER' won't work

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
I have a rider 2 operating with version 7.901 and TomTom Home version 2.7.3.1894 running on a PC with Vista. The Operate my RIDER module won't work. I've reinstalled a dozen times, sort reset my rider, used the ttgo510-710.clear_flash.exe program - nothing works. TomTom 'support' knows less than I do. Can anyone help please?

You dont mention whether this function work prior to updating to the latest HOME or not.

What map version do you have?

Others have reported that they required getting the latest map version to regain use of this feature.

Cheers!

I have a rider 2 operating with version 7.901 and TomTom Home version 2.7.3.1894 running on a PC with Vista. The Operate my RIDER module won't work. I've reinstalled a dozen times, sort reset my rider, used the ttgo510-710.clear_flash.exe program - nothing works. TomTom 'support' knows less than I do. Can anyone help please?

Having been through a number of things with tech suport lately I know about the "operate my rider" issue.

IT DOESN'T WORK IN THE NEW VERSION OF HOME. The develop guys are working on it and they will have it back and running as soon as possible. Follow my posts. I have lots of stories to tell.........

Hi VentureRider

That is really odd. I have had no trouble at all with my latest version of HOME 2.7.3.1894?????
Please keep us posted.

PC

I've had the same problem since i got my Rider 2 for Christmas 2009. I've talked with TT Customer Support several times over the past year with the last time just a few weeks ago. What they tell me is that the "operate My Device" part of TT Home is a Beta program, and it does not work with all TT devices (like my Rider 2). Reportedly, this part of TT home is constantly updated, but noone knows when it will be modified to work with the TT Rider 2.

I was told to keep trying it after every TT Home update.

In the interim, the TYRE program mentioned in other posts allows me to build itineraries on my PC and download them into my Rider. This program was writtem a fellow MC rider and works well.

Have you updated to the latest maps?

I've seen many posts that Operate MY Rider doesn't work unless you have a recent map, and the latest application (version 7.901).

The latest map is version 855, although you'll probably be OK if your map is a 2009 or later version (eg: 825 or later).

I don't have a RIDER, but it seems like most owners on a recent map version don't have too many problems with the Operate My RIDER program.

I updated the maps once last year while I still had the free update option, and it didn't seem to help. I just checked the North_America_2G folder and the larger files in it are all from 2008. I assume the largest files contain the actual maps.

Can you post (eg: cut&paste) the full error message? This might help us research the problem.

There is a small file that is used for the "operate my rider" feature. I am wondering if you were to remove it from the device (using Explorer) it would reload when you went to update and/or "operate my rider" feature (I have only seen it actually DL when selecting "operate....")

I just purchased an XL340 for my daughter, and when I first went to "operate ...." it downloaded the file.

Sorry, I do not know what the file is called, but perhaps one of our other members can help out there.

MVL - it's not much of an error message. When I click on the "Operate my Device" icon, the program opens, showing an outline of the TT Rider. I then get a TT splash screen which clears and then I get a blu- grey square inside the outline that says "maps not found."

Nothing works and then you have to go back to the main Home screen.

rcacs - Hard to delete a file with out knowing its name. Hope some on can tell me what it is.

"maps not found" usually signifies hacked maps. Did you buy the Rider second hand from Ebay?

If not, try this (only if you remember your Tomtom HOME user/password):

Close HOME
Go to start -> run
Type %appdata% and click OK
Delete the Tomtom subfolder
Reopen HOME
Home will ask you to login again, and will redownload the Operate my Rider emulator file.

Perhaps after the re-download things will work better.

My wife bought this unit from a local Best Buy store, and the map SD card was in a sealed poly case. I sure hope they weren't "hacked." Besides, if they were, won't that affect the operation of the unit even when not connected to TT Home?

I did as you suggested deleted the TT folder and then for good measure deleted emptied the wastebasket. TT home did download a new "operate my device" file, but when I tried to "operate my device", I got the same results - "no maps found" error.

This is really confusing as I note from reading other posts that others seem to be able to use this option, but as I said in my first post, TT costomer service told me just a few weeks ago that this option wouldn't work witht eh Rider 2. I don 't know what/who to believe.

Fortunately, the TYRE program fills my need, but I'm just stubborn enough to try and see this through.

Thansk for your input.

Last edited:
There's a good chance then that your map is too old. What version map do you have? You can find it per these steps.

That is a very old map, and is the cause of your problem. If you look way back to the 2nd post, I alluded to that.

Nobody seems to know what this is, but the "operate" feature is not supported by older maps and at what point the cut off is. My 840 map works.

The most current map is the 855.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm not real thrilled with having to spend another $45 for an updated map, but I guess I'll have to. Will need to wait until payday. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Well, it looks like you all were right. I purchased a new map, version 855, and downloaded it to my Rider 2. Operate my Rider on TT Home now works fine. No more Maps not found error.

While I was at it, I ordered a new 4 GB TopRam SD card, and copied everything over to it. Now I have a functional 4 GB card with lots of room for routes, AND I can sit at my PC and set up itineraries to my hearts content.

I wonder why Customer Service doesn't know this?? :confused:

Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question