Wireless Data Services One XL & Blackberry 8520

Hi, I've just upgraded my phone to a new Blackberry 8520. I've got unlimited internet so now want to make the most of the traffic and speed camera updates on my One XL. The Blackberry doesn't seem to be supported though:(.
Is there anyway around this? Does anyone know the manual settings required?
I'm on Virgin, and I know most of the settings:-

APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: user
Password: (leave blank)
automatic IP
automatic DNS
Dial: ???

This is where I get stuck! The above settings have been confirmed by Virgin Mobile, I'm hoping I just need to find the dial settings and I'm away. Can anyone help?

Andy T

You need to make the phone "discoverable", then in the ONE XL's menu you can go to the PLUS services screen and it should ask you to pair/search for a phone. When you get the list of carriers, choose "other" and you can enter the configuration you posted.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The phone is connecting to my TomTom, and I've already done as you described and entered the APN, Username, etc settings, the one setting I'm missing is the 'Dial' settings.
I'm not sure what these should be. I've tried using different phone models to see if I can get something to work, they each seem to have a different 'Dial' setting.

If anyone knows the settings for the Blackberry 8520, I'd be V. grateful.:)

Does the pre-populated dial value not work (I think it's *99# or something like that)?

What % of pairing does the device get to before erroring? Last time a paired a phone (a month ago) to my 930, there was a bug on the "optional submit settings" server and saying yes causes the pairing to fail. Saying no was successful.

If you get to 65% or higher in the pairing process, then your configurations settings are working fine.

I get to 65%, and I get a message flashing up on my blackberry saying 'successfully paired with TomTom One XL' while the Tom Tom is checking wireless settings, but then the Tom Tom says 'unable to set up your wireless data connection. Do you want to try another phone model or setup manually'. I setup manually, with the settings in my original post.
The dial settings currently on my Tom Tom are: *99*1*1*1#
The login script I have is: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","goto.virginmobile.uk"

This is as far as I get.:(

when you enter those settings below, there should be another progress bar for the data connection step. Does the second bar make it to 65% too?

Hi there,
I've tried to note the steps take. I've removed the phone pairing and started from scratch.

manage phones
start searching for Bluetooth phones
:Yes
confirm connection to Andy's
100%
This phone may now be used, found Wireless Data connection
:Continue
To use TomTom services, setup wireless data connection
enter 0000 password
:accept connection (blackberry)
Select phone model
:Other
checking wireles data settings
select country
:UK
Select Provider
:Virgin mobile
accept request
:yes (blackberry)
Unable to setup wireless data connection. Try another or manual setup
:Manual
:goto.virginmobile.uk
:eek:k
:user
DHCP
:auto
DNS
:auto
:*99*1*1*1#
:at+cgdcont=1,"IP","goto.virginmobile.uk"
65%
:accept connection (blackberry)
Unable to setup wireless data. Change settings?
:No
setup cancelled
:continue

tomtom services
tomtom weather
you need to setup a wireless data connection

This is as far as I get, and I keep going around in circles. I've tried selecting all the available Blackberry models, even this doesnt work. Getting frustrated now. I've paid for the traffic updates but can't use them. Would have come in really handy at the weekend and could have avoided being stuck in traffic caused by an accident!

Any assistance or workarounds would be greatfully received.

Andy T

Seems like you're doing everything properly.

A couple questions:
- Can you get applications on your phone to see the internet (eg mobile opera)? That would prove that you have data activated properly.
- I saw a post where someone had to update their blackberry's app to the latest version to get data fixed. Are you on the latest Blackberry firmware/OS?

Hi, yes I have internet access working on my phone, can browse the internet, am getting email etc.
I updated the OS on the phone in the first week I had it, I'm assuming it's still the latest version but I will check.

What I've noticed is that when you select a different phone model, the dial settings change for each model. This seems to be the key, as far as my limited understanding is concerned anyway.

I've still got my old phone, so I can use this, but it means swapping the SIM to get the updates. Not ideal.

Ask a Question