Why the differance in POI results

TomTom Model(s)
Via 1535TM
I have two TomTom gps. The first one is a XXL540TM and a VIA1535TM. I can find the Ramada Inn in Poway, CA on my VIA and my 2007 Nextel (very cheep) gps. But it is not on my XXL. Don't they have the same data base? I find other Hotels in Poway but not the Ramada that has been there for years. Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Your Via 1535 has more memory, and hence, a larger POI database included with its map than your XXL540.

So you are telling me my cheap 2007 Nextel GPS that I payed less the $80.00 back in 2007 has more memory (thus more POIs) then my 2011 Tomtom XXL540TM that I payed $200.00 for? If it have some hotel that looks like the Bates Motel, but not the Ramada Inn? Hum, Not a great marketing ID.

No, I'm saying that every manufacturer is selective about WHICH POI are included due to memory constraints. The POI selection for your 540 is necessarily limited due to its memory size (half that of your 1535), and you just don't happen to like the set they selected. Given your example, guess I can't blame you. But there's a reason why your 1535 will give better results .. it has a MUCH larger POI set than your 540. Since I don't own your Nextel, I can't say what the mix of POI is that was used for that one .. I don't even know how much memory it has.

Frankly, I'm astounded that you have a 'Nextel' GPS. I've never heard of that. However, having worked with Nextel (RIP - curse you, Sprint!) for some years, I would understand if you're referring to mapping software with POI set on a Nextel cell phone? If so, you do understand that it goes out to the network (much like a current smart phone or TomTom Live unit) to get that information, right?

I made a mistake, it is a Nextar P3 gps. I am finding out that it is hard to figure out what someone buys today. Your company makes it difficult to see what is the difference between yours and other produces. They all sound alike. I had bought a TT XXL550 and did not like it at all. I took it back the next day. The next GPS I buy I will take a long look. I do like some of both of my TT gps. Does anyone make a GPS that you can use your PC to program it. I have Streets and trips and would like the two to work together. Thanks for the info on my GPSs. I thought my 540 was more them what it is.

The biggest problem with the Via1535tm is that it clears all saved favorites when you update. It shouldn't do that.

It's not "my company". I'm just an end user like you are. The only difference is that the guy who owns this forum stuck a "Moderator" tag next to my name.

As for your favorites getting cleared, you can always take a moment using MyTomTom's "Manage Content" feature to save your favorites to your PC .. and then you can load them back whenever you need to do so, though I never have the issue you describe with my Via 1535. Only a 'Factory reset' should clear them.

I'm not clear what you mean by "use your PC to program it". Program what, in particular? Your 540 (which I agree is superior to the 550 in several respects) has all kinds of options for sending things to it from your PC. What are you wanting to do, exactly? Not even Garmin (ala Streets & Trips) will allow the saving of a specific routing to their GPS. You can send waypoints and POI and the like, but you can do that with a TomTom, too. Your 540 actually has a couple of better features than your 1535 in that regard (e.g., 'itineraries').

Thanks for all the help. I thought someone would have figured out how to us a pc to program a gps. I do like that I can download IPOs for my 540, but not available for the VIA1535TM. And the 540 doesn't clear favorites as the 1535. I will see how your suggestion goes. Both are very slow when upgrading. And to get them to finish upgrading I must open my pc up to viruses by shutting down my firewall. What is the top of the line gps by TT, one with all the bells and whistles?

The biggest problem with the Via1535tm is that it clears all saved favorites when you update. It shouldn't do that.

No it shouldn't. But that's not normal for that device either, many other people do not experience it. So there must have been some specific fault or set of circumstances in your case.

I thought someone would have figured out how to us a pc to program a gps. I do like that I can download IPOs for my 540, but not available for the VIA1535TM.

I don' t understand what you are saying here... ANY third-party POIs that you have added to your 540 can also be added to your VIA. The older models use TomTom Home, the newer models such as the VIA range use MyTomTom, but both can add your own POIs very simply.

I do like that I can download IPOs for my 540, but not available for the VIA1535TM.
As I noted earlier, and Andy has reiterated, that's not true. MyTomTom allows for the addition of custom POI to your Via 1535 in the same format (*.ov2 + *.bmp for icons) as your 540.

And to get them to finish upgrading I must open my pc up to viruses by shutting down my firewall.
I don't know what kind of firewall software you are using, but MyTomTom does use a special port. For MyTomTom, all you have to do is open up Port 4000. That should be sufficient.

What is the top of the line gps by TT, one with all the bells and whistles?
At the moment, I'd have to say the GO 1535 (not to be confused with your Via 1535). It's a Live model, and has as many bells/whistles as any of the recent models.

We're still waiting to see when the latest round of GO units (400/500/600/5000/6000) will be offered in North America. They'll be available in Europe soon, but with a number of missing features (same as happened when the GO 1000 was rushed to release), so I'm not in any hurry on those just yet.

Ask a Question