Who says you can't use custom menus & map share on the One 3rd Edition?

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
Well, after some playing around, I'm happy to say that it is possible to use both custom menus and Map Share on the One 3rd Edition. Here's how:

1. If you've already created a custom menu for your 3rd Edition, then you've already created the SdkRegistry directory on your GPS to hold the TomTom.mnu file. This is the directory that is preventing your from accessing the Map Share functions, and is the directory you must remove to enable those Map Share functions. Using Windows Explorer, cut the SdkRegistry folder from your TomTom and paste it onto your PC's desktop.
  2. Using TomTom Home (which probably launched automatically when you connected your TomTom to your PC for Step 1), click "Operate my ONE".
  3. Using the virtual TomTom that you see in TomTom Home, click the Map Corrections button.
  4. Click the Correction Preferences button.
  5. In the Use These Corrections list, select the corrections you want your TomTom to use, then click Done.
  6. Click the I Agree button.
  7. On the Sharing Corrections screen, select how you want your Map Share corrections to be shared with others, then click Done.
  8. On the Quick Report Button screen, select Show Report Button, then click Done. This is the step that will allow you to mark map corrections even though you've loaded a custom menu onto your TomTom One 3rd Edition.
  9. Using Windows Explorer, cut your SdkRegistry directory from your PC's desktop and paste it back into the root level of your TomTom. This will re-enable your custom menu.
  10. Using TomTom Home, select Device > Disconnect Device.
  11. At this point when you use your TomTom, you should see the Map Correction Marker button on the left side of your normal map display. You should also see your custom menu. When you're driving and see a map error, click the Map Correction Marker button to mark the location of the error.
  12. When you want to identify the nature of the map error(s) you've marked and share your corrections with the Map Share community, reconnect your TomTom to your PC.
  13. Use Windows Explorer to cut your SdkRegistry directory from your TomTom and paste it onto your PC desktop again.
  14. Using TomTom Home, click the Operate My ONE button.
  15. Using the virtual TomTom, click the Map Corrections button.
  16. Click the Correct Map Error button.
  17. Navigate through Map Error choices to identify the nature of the map errors you marked while driving with your TomTom.
  18. When you're done, cut the SdkRegistry directory from your PC desktop back onto your TomTom. This will re-enable your custom menus again.

All this cutting and pasting of the SdkRegistry folder might sound like a pain in the neck, but it's really no big deal:
  • You've got to connect your TomTom to your PC to upload and download Map Share corrections, so you're going to be sitting at your PC anyway.
  • Some of the information TomTom asks you to identify along with a map correction requires a lot of text, which is easier to do on a PC anyway. For example, you might have to enter a street name, or add comments about your map correction. I'd much rather type on my PC keyboard than in the TomTom itself.

So you see, the One 3rd Edition isn't as crippled as some people might lead you to believe. With a little bit of PC skills (which you probably have anyway, since you're doing sophisticated stuff like creating custom menus), you can have your Map Share functions and your custom menus too. :D

Hope this helps,

Steve

Ask a Question