Which map?

I see that TomTom has extended its map sale. I think I'd like an update, as many roads and POIs are not right in my area.

But, gosh, do they make this confusing. If I get JUST USA and not USA/Canada, does the USA only map have more detail than the USA/Canada?

If I get a regional map, does THAT have more detail than the full USA map?

If you get a regional map and drive outside of that region, do you have any map of any sort, or have you gone into a black hole?

While 99% of my driving is within my own state, there might be a chance that I'll take a road trip cross-country, so I think I'd want at least the whole USA on a map.

Does anyone out there have a way to clarify this?

I see that TomTom has extended its map sale. I think I'd like an update, as many roads and POIs are not right in my area.

But, gosh, do they make this confusing. If I get JUST USA and not USA/Canada, does the USA only map have more detail than the USA/Canada?

If I get a regional map, does THAT have more detail than the full USA map?

If you get a regional map and drive outside of that region, do you have any map of any sort, or have you gone into a black hole?

While 99% of my driving is within my own state, there might be a chance that I'll take a road trip cross-country, so I think I'd want at least the whole USA on a map.

Does anyone out there have a way to clarify this?

The USA map, to my understanding, is just a chunk of the larger USA/Canada map. It will have no greater detail than the complete one; as well, a regional map is again just a chunk of a larger map. That's a good question about the 'blck hole' and, indeed, I suspect that that is exactly what will happen. Drive to the extent of the map coverage and the unit will not be able to route you any further.

What you are leaving unsaid but what I suspect is a question in your mind is whether it is worth the extra $$$ to buy the complete USA/Canada map even though current plans don't call for its use.

My gut feeling is, if you definitely don't ever plan to use the Canada component, then buy the complete USA map rather than a regional one. Wouldn't want to fall off the end of the earth, eh? :D

I just did this... I opted for the regional map... and yes much more detail and more focused POI's... more small rivers, lakes, parks and such... I also have my USA/Canada map on my computer in the case that I will be travelling outside my region... you can swap them through TT Home.

I haven't tried to put the USA/Canada map on an SD card yet... just so I had both maps on the unit.

I haven't regretted getting just the regional map since I did it.

REMEMBER.....if you have the storage space, you can get the regional maps from the higher end models, and they work perfectly on the TT One, BUT the maps must be the same NAME as the ones on offer for the high end models.

You can check their sizes if you state that your GPS is a different model, and then the available map sizes will be shown.

I got the Alaska/Canada map for the 920/720/Rider, and loaded it together with the current USA+Canada and Guam maps (I installed a 2GB SD card to hold them all).

Now, in terms of usage, if you select a regional map, and you try to plan a route outside of the region, it will obviously fail. In that case, you have 2 choices, either split your route into two and use the more detailed regional map for that part of the journey, and then switch maps at the appropriate time to the standard USA+Canada map, or simply revert back to the standard USA+Canada for the whole trip.

I am lucky in that even though I live in the Detroit area, and purchased the Alaska+Canada map, the map actually has about 50 miles of USA territory within the map, and all my surrounding roads are within that more detailed map! I only switch back to the standard USA+Canada map when I head south away from the Canadian border and outside of the 50 mile range.

The 920/720/Rider regional maps have more detail, I believe, and certainly have more POI than the maps for the One. Compare file sizes and make your choice!

Ask a Question