When will I be offered a deal?

Shortly after buying a refurbished TomTom and receiving my free updated map, I received an offer from TomTom to buy an 18-month subscription for the price of a 12-month.

Since then, every quarter, I've received offers to buy the latest update and subscription, but each offer in effect has me paying for every update since my purchase (there have been three updates so far) in addition to the subscription.

At some point, I assume TomTom is going to figure out that they're trying to charge me far more than the updates are worth, and will become more reasonable in their offer prices.

When can I expect this to happen? Surely, TomTom isn't going to want to charge me for 7 updates a year from now before offering me a subscription!!

No, I didn't. How was I supposed to know TomTom would throw their best shot days after my purchase? I assumed deals would get sweeter if I held back a bit. Besides, when the unit was that new, I didn't even know if I was going to like the device. It's my third GPS, and each time, I've purchased a model from a different manufacturer.

The map subscription requires you to be current before purchasing it. The catch-up map is discounted to approximately the quarterly rate if your map is fairly recent.

The idea is that if you want a subscription, you don't get to game the system by waiting a while for your purchase.

At some point you'll have to pay full price for the catch-up map, and you won't even get the bundle offer any longer. That would be your max-cost scenario.

Ask a Question