Whats going on?

I got my Tomtom One today as a gift. I set it all up. I put my home adress in like it asked and everything. However, it keeps putting me on the wrong street. The street it puts me on is next to mine.

My street is "600 Main Dr"...but it puts me on "Cedar Dr" which is right off of my street.

Also, It doesn't find streets I look for. I look for "webb road" which my stepdads garmin finds, but the Tomtom can't. However I know that some roads have more than one name and the Tomtom might only know one or the other.

What can I do to fix the problem? The garmin GPS doesn't do this so why does the tomtom?

Some quick thoughts:
1. Grab a gpsquickfix file using Home.
2. Update your map to the latest using the Latest Map Guarantee.
3. Do a pin reset.

Rather than using your address as your home position, why not use lat/lon to define your home. It's perfectly accurate. I had to do this with mine as well.

Walk out to the front of your house (drive way entrance) and turn on your TomTom. Then... Tap
  • "Change preferences" <right arrow> <right arrow>
  • "Change Home location" <right arrow>
  • to "My location".
This way it uses your actual position via satellite computation instead of dividing up addresses in your neighborhood.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks I will try that.
Not to forget that dhn usually points out to new users to make a complete backup of your unit with Windows Explorer, not HOME.

Also if just purchased you may want to hold off a few days before upgrading with the Latest Map Guarantee as you have 30 days from invoice date to do that and only get one kick at the can.
A new map is imminent (no promise) and if you update today and a newer version comes out tomorrow they generally will not give you a second free map.

Rick's advice about using coordinates is sound and you may even get one step further with that to protect yourself in case of a lost or stolen unit. Select an intersection a few street from your home as the Home location for the TT. You know you'll have to add 1, 2 or 5 minutes to the estimated drive time but a thief, breaking into your car at a shopping center will not know the address of a potentially empty house.

Make a search for Tyre in the list. It is the easiest to use to move coordinates.

With your unit through HOME or on its own, click on the antenna bars.
That will show you the operating system of your unit. If you tap on that again it will tell you the map you are using, serial number and other specifics of your unit.

Thanks again

Thanks again for all of the help.

I don't think that I tried to change my home location to the lat/lon as of yet. Instead I changed the name of my street because half of it said "main dr" and the other half said "cedar dr", while the whole street is supposed to be "main dr" and "cedar dr" is down the street from me.

However I found a new issue. It is putting my location at 724 Main drive, while I am really at 600 Main Drive. This is an issue because today tried to navigate to a POI, a gas station right near me. It came up about a half mile short and stopped me before the desination. However, it was accurate everywhere after this.

Anyway let me try what was proposed so far to see if it works.

Thanks again for all of the help.

I don't think that I tried to change my home location to the lat/lon as of yet. Instead I changed the name of my street because half of it said "main dr" and the other half said "cedar dr", while the whole street is supposed to be "main dr" and "cedar dr" is down the street from me.

However I found a new issue. It is putting my location at 724 Main drive, while I am really at 600 Main Drive. This is an issue because today tried to navigate to a POI, a gas station right near me. It came up about a half mile short and stopped me before the desination. However, it was accurate everywhere after this.

Anyway let me try what was proposed so far to see if it works.

What city do you live in? I have encountered numbering problems more in rural areas than in built-up city areas. You may need to send in a map correction directly from your TomTom using the "other" category

One reason for the map errors that don't show up on your stepdad's Garmin is because Garmin uses Navteq maps and TomTom uses Teleatlas maps which unfortunately are not as accurate for North America, if that's where you live.

Also, with Teleatlas, getting updated maps are no guarantee that you'll get better maps. After paying for new maps, I found that my house had been "moved" to the wrong side of the street, and that my street no longer intersected with the highway but curved off to the south! So Teleatlas will insert new errors into its new maps, as well as maybe correcting old errors. :rolleyes:

Well

I live in Aiken, South Carolina right now and it is a pretty rural area. I will keep this thread updated on my progress. Hopefully I won't have to get a replacement or anything.

I have this same problem. Put in my address and it puts me about 10 houses down. I just think it's the maps that Tom Tom get's. I've notice that some of my POI's are off too.

I live in Aiken, South Carolina right now and it is a pretty rural area. I will keep this thread updated on my progress. Hopefully I won't have to get a replacement or anything.

Also, I have been trying to download this HOME thing when I connect my TT to my PC...however I have Dial-up so it is taking FOREVER. I did dl it yesterday, but I got an error when I tried to open it...and I have no idea where it put the file on my comp. I'm also not sure if I need to leave the TT connected while its DL'ing.

You don't need the unit connected to dl Home software.

If you already have an earlier version of Home installed, there is a setting under Tools-->Preferences for folder options. Downloads, by default go here: C:\Documents and Settings\(yourname)\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads.

You might try there. Also, any time you dl anything from the net, what folder it it downloaded to? Your Home dl may be there.

update

I have tried to set my home location as the lat/lon as suggested and nothing has changed.

I have even compared my TT coordinates to the ones in my stepdads Garmin and they are basically the same...even when I put them in exactly the same nothing has changed.

I have also downloaded and installed the "Home" program yesterday. I did get to install some things, but my map is up to date according to the program, so it isn't an old map.

The only thing I can think of right now is that the TT One has this problem, and I am not the only one with it.

I appreciate all of the input so far. Please continue to throw in ideas and I will keep the thread updated as best I can.

*Today I took a ride and it got most of the POI's right except one, when I was on a totally different street and the TT said I reached my destination. When I checked the map, the POI's were in the right place.

I have this same problem. Put in my address and it puts me about 10 houses down. I just think it's the maps that Tom Tom get's. I've notice that some of my POI's are off too.
Make a little search and you will find that I wrote to Navteq In January asking why they put me in their new 2008 map on Google 200 feet to the west and across the street.

When they wrote back telling me that they only had two people in Ontario ( a bit bigger than Texas) to verify map errors and completely ignored my telling them the their 2007 map Google map had me dead accurate, I decided to buy a TomTom. (Then found out theat their error is identical.)

Ask a Question