What to do FIRST when you get your Tom Tom!

can you tell me if i have a prob as when i put mine on i have the green light but no screen any help would be great as i,m a newbie

Can you be more precise about 'no screen'. Does it turn on but freeze? Do you hear the sound of drums when you try to power up? What model do you have? Does it turn on when attached to a car charger?

GO 730 initial Backup

A great write up and I wish they would create one for all models and put it in the manual. I have a GO 730 and TT HOME 2. Some of the indications you mention do not appear on of my screens (both TT and pc). At 70+ years, I have become extremely proficient in screwing things up and I dazzle my children with how fast I can screw things up. I read many posts about doing things "outside" of HOME to get better or safer results. Some mention "do not use home for backups since its unreliable and the next backup will overwrite the last one". Instead they say use EXPLORER. I have VISTA and find all sorts of xxx..Explorer . So how do I do an initial back up, store it, label it, and prevent it from being overwritten?

Disregard. dhn has a how to post that appears to be straight forward.

Last edited:
third party itn converters

Re: CarCor post.
Great tip for other itinerary planers. I tried tyre and houghi.org. I liked houghi.org better since you can use use "maps.google" and the "GET DIRECTIONS" portion. The function is pure GOOGLE and when you are done you copy the route to a link at houghi.org. Did several routes and saved them to a the TOMTOM folder on my pc (haven't loaded them since myGo 730 is en route to TOMTOM heaven and I have not received my replacement yet).
The only concern I have is that you go to an unknown site, paste something in a space provided and save the result on your pc. So far, no disasters. It would be nice if somehow the site could be verified and/or the converter itself made available for downloads. Since its free, what is the difference?
By the way, do not be discourage by the page that comes up titled "ADULT RESIGNATION". Look on the left side for the google maps to tomtom converter.

Last edited:
Wow, this feature alone makes the TomTom worth it. Planning on Google then converting the route to TomTom. Amazing!
Re: CarCor post.
I liked houghi.org better since you can use use "maps.google" and the "GET DIRECTIONS" portion. The function is pure GOOGLE and when you are done you copy the route to a link at houghi.org.

What to do first

I will be getting a XXL 540s for Christmas. Do you know if the great info. in "what to do first" also applies to this model? I will need all the help I can get.
Thanks

Make sure you fully backup the device using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything with the device, when you have your backup update the device using the Home software, update the application before using Latest map guarantee to update the map to v840 (which will be the latest when you get the device) - Mike

Well I purchased a TomTom Go 910 the other day due to my research and really thought it would fit my needs. I came from the Garmin family and still am very happy with my Etrex Vista for hiking…but for driving the 910 was the absolute way for me to go. Not to mention I love Palm products and the way you can tweak them....hmmm...you can do the same here with the TomTom!

I wanted to make sure that I did everything right so that I would not dork anything up with it. I stumbled across the TomTom forums prior to purchase so I had a leg up on the average person when it came to deciphering how to use the 910.

The documentation is lacking in my opinion…the forums are a wealth of knowledge.

I decided to write this to help out others that may happen to stumble across these forums and would like get a clean setup on their TomTom product. I use a 910 but the principles should apply to other TomTom products as far as I know.

First and foremost….YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE A BACKUP!!!!! Trust everyone here on the forums. DO THIS OR BEWARE! You could inadvertently do something (as I did) and end up having to restore your TT product. If you don’t have the backup you will be hurting.

Here are the step-by-steps:

1. Unpack your TT and make sure everything came with the device.
2. Make sure your antivirus software is up and running! (Some of the newer TomTom disks have been shipping with something that shows up as a couple of Trojans….I called TT support and they stated it was fine to quarantine and delete these files…you may or may not encounter this).
3. You should install your TomTom HOME software from the included disk…if it is out of date, the computer (provided you are internet connected) will let you download the latest version of HOME….DO THIS.
4. Turn on your 910. If it needs some juice…put it on the dock and give it some power but DO NOT hook it up to the computer yet.
5. When you have a bit of a charge, turn on the 910 and you will either get a chance to select preferences…such as language etc or you can go to the main menu and hit change preferences to access your language, time, etc….

The reason I have you do these steps in this order is because if you do not you may encounter an error when you backup your 910 and it will save you a bunch of time. I did not have the preferences setup and I went straight to the backup process….after 30 min there was an error that stated “preferences.dat” was non existent or something…that clued me into the fact I had to set them first…uh oh….So by doing this first you can get that painfully long backup running and can take care of some other things while this is going on.

6. Turn off your 910 and get ready for the backup process….It will take 40 min or so at first and you cannot disconnect your 910 or interrupt this process. If you do you risk the possibility of corrupting the backup.

How to hook up the 910 to the computer….

Well there are a few methods of accomplishing this but I will let you know what the TomTom Tech support folks told me.

1. Make sure the power cord is connected to the docking cradle and that the cradle is connected to the USB port on your computer.
(NOTE: My cradle and power cord do NOT connect well at all….I called TT Tech Support and they are sending me a new cable…I think it may actually be the cradle but I will cross that path when the new cord comes. In the meantime, I will use my duck tape mod…LOL)
2. Start your HOME program.
3. Place your 910 in the cradle.
4. Start the 910.
5. When it asks if you would like to connect to the computer hit….YES.

It is REALLY important to make sure you disconnect and connect properly to the device or you can screw up your 910…trust me I did this, even with help from the folks here in the forum. You must ALWAYS disconnect via the HOME program. At the bottom left side of HOME you see a little button that says MY DEVICE. If you roll your cursor over this it will tell you if your device is connected or if you can safely disconnect it.

Hopefully your device is now showing in the My Device area. You may have some updates come in but do NOT install anything yet…NOTHING! Your goal here is to get a CLEAN backup of the device prior to messing with anything else!

On the left side you will see an area that says MAKE BACKUP. Hit this button and name the backup whatever you like. I chose INITIAL BACKUP so that I know this was the first one done ever and I will never modify this backup.

The backup essentially copies your TomTom’s information over to your computer’s hard drive. So…be prepared with the necessary disk space on your HDD. If you don’t have enough HOME will let you know but keep in mind you can use up space fast if you put on more than one backup…my initial backup is about 9-11GB.

This will get you a CLEAN BACKUP which is what the goal is. If you have a clean backup you can fix problems that may happen in the future by restoring to your initial settings and data. I have done it and it is invaluable!
I have an alternative first things to do Guttboy:

Take the box. Put it in a dark cupboard. Buy a Garmin. Relax in the knowledge that no matter how bad the Garmin may be it's nothing compared to the TomTom update error nightmares :)

You've now posted essentially the same message in 9 different threads. Your point has been made. Let's agree that enough is enough..........;)

Edit tomtom plus acct

Hello, I am just setting up my XXL540M and have been following this great post. Just one problem. Does the below quoted step not apply to my model? I can not locate an "EDIT TOMTOM PLUS ACCT" to type in my email address....

Since you are connected to the computer and HOME is working well for you lets access the ?My GO 910? or the Virtual TomTom as folks call it. This is located on the left side of the HOME software under the Options tab called ?More??
1. Click on My GO 910
2. A new screen will show up that is a picture of your 910!!! Way cool!
3. Tap on the button at the upper left of your 910?there should be an arrow pointing at this. (NOTE: Do NOT remove your device or turn it on or off unless you FIRST power down from this virtual button. I did this and corrupted my 910 and had to restore from my backup.)
4. Tap on the center of the screen and get to the CHANGE PREFERENCES button and then navigate your way to the 6 of 7 page and tap on EDIT TOMTOM PLUS ACCT.
5. Type in your email address and hit done.
6. Type in the password for your TomTom account that you set up while it was backing up!

Thanks!

I don't see that as an option either. I have "TomTom Services" but thats not theright place...

I don't see that as an option either. I have "TomTom Services" but thats not theright place...

The 910 Tomtom features are very different. Back than, Tomtom used to pull data via a cell phone.

You can't set up an account on the Services section of the 540M. After making a backup, the next thing to do is create an account in Tomtom HOME, and type in your lifetime map code.

Ask a Question