What to do FIRST when you get your Tom Tom!

I had not tried to backup and install anything on my TT 910 because I expected it to be a pain in the rear. It is. I did get it connected to the computer and I think that it backed up, but I am not sure.

At one point it went to a gray screen and would not shut off, I finally found the reset button, boy is it hiden well. I know that it is connected to the computer because I was able to download a photo the the TT. I still do not get thr virtual TT on my computer screen someone stated would happen. So I guess I can not do anything else until I can figure out how to do that.

I wanted to see if I could download some newer maps. Cna anyone help?

Im not certain but the virtual TomTom doesn't work for Mac users.

I believe it works with TomTom HOME 2.0

Thank you!

I've printed your post to include in my husbands stocking. I can see that this post will avoid the Christmas-morning-new-toy-frustration mania that usually happens at our house.
Yea, I can't wait!
Oh wait, it's for him, not me.... :D

Did a full backup

Connected it to the computer and backed it up even before I got to the startup screen. I did the backup using explorer, really finder on the Mac, so the backup is as virgin as you can get.

Great FAQ. I used it and it works great and nice steps. Explained very well. It was a little rough though trying to get this thing to work as i wanted it to but when it came down to this FAQ it worked like new. Thanks.

Well my tomtom arrived from Amazon and it is actually a tomtom 1 classic.

With advice from here I soon had it backed up by explorer and then updated by home. My current problem is that I have a favourite route to the hospital avoiding motorways (USA highways). The destination is stored but when try to recall as a favourite, the route is recalculated using fastest route again.

Is there a way of storing the actual preferred route as a favourite?

johnep

I do not know whether your model has the itinerary option. If it does, that is the route you want to take (no pun intended).

A bit convoluted method if you do not is to make a favourite somewhere on the road you want to take. The next time, navigate to favourite and then, once there, navigate to (your destination).

Told you it was convoluted .......:) :eek:

Many thanks for your advice. Will check out itinerary. In meantime, did as you suggested with destination as junction two roads, and then put in main destination. All saved as favourites.

Current problem is simply getting the sucker to stay on the screen glass.
Tried the usual spit etc. Amazon sell sort of cushions which everyone raves about but they are pricy.

In the old days would have just drilled a couple of holes in the dash and screwed sucker in place. however, car is wife's and she wants it to stay as new.

Will let you know how I get on.
johnep

I ditched the tomtom mount system. They work but there is always this scary feeling of the 'bad guys' learning of the presence of a 400$+ gps in the car.

I have 3 locations in my car where my 930 resides. one is in the dash console, the 2nd is in front of the instrument panel (covering part of the speedometer). The third is in a tomtom OEM carry case that fits in my pocket when I get out of the vehicle.

I used magnets to mount the thing. The easiest way to mount, unmount
the tomtom.

OK solved problem of sucker not sticking well. Simply arranged so that tomtom rested on dash and sucker just kept it in place without taking any weight. Thanks guys for your suggestions.
johnep

I asked TomTom re saving a route and was directed to a thirdware free prog called tyre whic enables you to link to google earth and put in way points.

first look looks good, i will check it out and report back. demo on tyre website very impressive.
johnep

I asked TomTom re saving a route and was directed to a thirdware free prog called tyre whic enables you to link to google earth and put in way points.

first look looks good, i will check it out and report back. demo on tyre website very impressive.
johnep

There is also another program called Houghi and this works with Google Maps.
I prefere it over Tyre.
click_here

Had a look at houghi and seems that it is a feature already of google maps, I will explore.
Re mounting, I am going to drill a hole in the dash, insert a suitable plug and fix the tomtom mount to this, Whatever I tried to do using the sucker it always came loose, or my wife could not get it back on the windscreen again.

Will let you know how it goes.
johnep

Hadno problems in getting google route and converting on houghi, but found unable to save properly on the cptr.

Found an empty file in tomtom memory called itn and tried saving into this but then could not acess from tomtom. Have not found anything on tomtom
1v3 that could get me into an itinerary. Perhaps not available on this basic model.
johnep

Streets & Trips

johnep

You can do this with Streets and AutoRoute too. I do the conversion with a program called itn converter. POI Edit may work too.

Wish I had know about this site before I started with my 530, at least I wouldnt have the trouble I do since a backup would have been the first thing I did !!

Ask a Question