What software does Rider v2 use?

The Rider v2 is a Nav2 (Home) based device. Dates back to at least 2008, long before we had Nav3 devices. So yes, you get the *.itn style itinerary support!

OK, and FWIW :

All rider units thus far (serial K1, K2, K3 and K4) all show as Nav2 devices in my 'magic decoder ring'. The K1 and K2 had no internal memory (used cards exclusively), the K3 was a 2GB unit, and the new K4 has been increased to 4GB, no doubt in deference to the fact that you can no longer load Western Europe in 2GB of space, and can barely do so for North America.

In addition, I am showing that the screen resolution of the K4 has increased from the old 320x240 up to 480x272.

Wow. That's a great bit of news.
I'd keep watching this new model to be sure they haven't misidentified anything in the info I have, but it sounds very promising indeed. The obvious key will be whether the device connects with TomTom Home or MyTomTom. However, their claims of itinerary and Tyre compatibility agree with what I'm seeing on my end for the Nav2 design.

The first site you showed doesn't yet include this model ... theirs are all 320x240 screens with SiRFiii GPS chipsets. This new unit as shown on the TomTom site has the 480x272 screen and some new GPS chip, and 4GB internal memory -- I didn't see TT mention that in the spec page, but it's good news for those using Western Europe maps. No swapping about of map segments all the time as was the case for 2GB units.

How did you tumble to the K4 serial numbers?

Indeed, it appears you aren't "Home Free" after all (I couldn't resist). I was also very interested to see that they actually ship a copy of Tyre with this unit per our friend tjon. It's so interesting to see that TomTom would be THAT interested in assuring a Nav2 user has a good itinerary building experience while screwing the Nav3 users out of the experience altogether!

Frankly, I'm pleased to see it confirmed that the latest Rider offering is still a Nav2 device, and I'm glad the new owners will be Nav2 users.

For some reason TomTom have always believed that motorcyclists might want to take touring or scenic routes, but that car drivers (and other travellers) never do.

Ask a Question