What are people using the SD card for?

I have an 8GB SD card that I figured I can use in my GO 720 since it has such a limited memory of 2GB. the internal memory is however, enough for the for the 720's normal operation. There isn't really anything in the manual about the SD cars slot.

Is anybody using an additional SD card?
Is there a GB size limit.
What are you using it for?

I have a 4-gig shhc card in my 720 and have put the entire NA map folder on it. Got fed up trying to squeeze the map (and all other stuff) on the 2-gig internal.

Now, it's no problem and I still have lots of room if I want to put an mp3 folder on the card as well.

With firmware 8.3, functionality for cards >4 gigs has been introduced (well, you could use larger cards before, but it was convoluted how to do so).

Yes, I do

Yes, it is.
Just like computer memory and few other electronic devices, there is size limited. We just cannot simply throw in 16G of memory into the max-supported 4GB memory computer system. Same here for GPS device.
With NC 8.3, which means it goes along with Bootcode 5.5xx (I can't remember exact version on top of my head), the unit can read 8GB SDHC card (meanning if the unit with older bootcode, 5.4 for example, then 8GB SDHC cannot be used)

Storing mp3s, photos, documents.

What is the best way to use the SD card versus internal memory?

Do I copy all files from internal memory to the SD card and then delete them from internal memory?

Can I have different map versions on internal and SD card and if so, what needs to be on the SD card besides the North America folder?

With the GO series, internal memory and SD card can work simultaneously.
With the ONE series, it either this or that, not both.
Majority of people do use the SD card for the full version of map with huge POIs database.

I have the Go 720 and got a 4GB card to put the North America maps so that I could load up the larger POI database from the 920. Threw a bunch of mp3s on there as well.

I have an 8GB SD card that I figured I can use in my GO 720 since it has such a limited memory of 2GB. the internal memory is however, enough for the for the 720's normal operation. There isn't really anything in the manual about the SD cars slot.

I always run with an external 4GB. Having once upgraded to firmware 8.300, even though I have now backed up to 8.010, I could use 8GB if I wished to do so. So far, have not had a need for 8GB, though.

What's in my TT that uses the extra memory?

I keep the Euro map set as well as my regular N.A. map set. I visit Europe often enough to make it worth my while. Believe me, the TT's 2GB internal memory is stretched just keeping the N.A. set.

I keep a more substantial POI file than comes with the 720.

I keep my own POI file of all geocaches in the immediate area (usually around 2000 of them) along with HTML files (yes, the TT has a mini-browser) with all of their descriptive and recent log information.

I've been known to keep a movie or two on it for longer trips (see MobilNova 3rd party application - works on firmware pre-8.300).

Ask a Question