Using SD card with XL-S

TomTom Model(s)
One XLS
Can someone please direct me to the instructions on how to load a 2GB card on my TT? I have searched for this info but am unable to find it. I am planning a long RV trip and want to prepare as many legs as possible with TYRE and store them on the card.

Well, if your model does take a sd card, then you put the card in the slot on the bottom of the unit. With your model (assuming it uses a card), **everything** must be on either internal OR the sd card.

So, use Explorer with the sd card installed, and copy everything from internal to the card.......make sure hidden files/folders are showing.

Thus, you will have a bunch of folders and some loose files on the card. The loose files (comprising the operating system of the unit) reside in the 'root' of the card (i.e, not in any folder).

When you boot up the unit, it'll boot to the sd card and use the information found there (like the map in the specific map folder) for its planning.

Thanks, dsn
I seem to remember reading that some brands/types of cards would not work in TT. Is that correct? If so, which will work?

Get a name brand, high speed sd card. SanDisk and Kingston are two that I'm aware of but there are others.

dhn:

Yes I was wondering about how to use a card also.

I have another question regarding the card:

If everything is loaded to the card and it is in the slot, any updates that are installed will install to the card, correct?

If so I would have to pull the card after shutting the GPS off and then update the main memory also, correct?

I guess the reason for having the card slot is to put extra maps etc on it but the complete memory including the operation system must be on each card you would use.

Am I correct in thinking that if the main memory of the GPS got corrupt somehow when one is on the road one could just pop a card with the duplicate contents of the GPS into the slot and it would work properly?

Thanks for your help.

Now back to the twilight zone, I am happy there! :D:D

dhn:

Yes I was wondering about how to use a card also.

I have another question regarding the card:

If everything is loaded to the card and it is in the slot, any updates that are installed will install to the card, correct?

If you have selected the external device using Home when first connected.

If so I would have to pull the card after shutting the GPS off and then update the main memory also, correct?

Not necessary, if you want to transfer ALL info back to internal, just use Explorer and copy everything from external to internal.

I guess the reason for having the card slot is to put extra maps etc on it but the complete memory including the operation system must be on each card you would use.

And all other folders as well, yes. Remember, it is ALL or nothing. Everything on internal or everything on sd card with your model.

Am I correct in thinking that if the main memory of the GPS got corrupt somehow when one is on the road one could just pop a card with the duplicate contents of the GPS into the slot and it would work properly?

That is how the application is designed. If it senses an application on an inserted sd card, it'll boot to the card first (before attempting to boot to internal).

Thanks for your help.

Now back to the twilight zone, I am happy there! :D:D

Hey no problem!

Problem!!!

I bought a 2GB SanDisc and inserted it. Somehow, I came upon"Help From Tom Tom Home" and followed the instructions under "Using a card reader". After making a backup of the internal memory, and per the instructions mentioned, I "restored" the backup to what I believed was the SD card. I then accessed the TT via computer and looked at the firmware version and then the map version.
What I got was: 32MB RAM (free: 32.0MB)
MAP "USA & CANADA v825.2210

Before I did all this, this screen showed "64MB RAM (free: 21.0MB)"

I also looked at the System Information screen and saw:
Memory Card (F): Active
Connected device couldn't be accessed. May be locked.

I checked the card and it is not locked. I looked at the card using "My Computer" and a card reader and it shows files amounting to 13.5 MB on it.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Do you have a complete backup on your pc? If so, put the sd card in a card reader and reformat the card. Now, copy back everything from the backup. Re-insert into the unit and boot up.

Connect to the computer and start Home. Does system info still show the card as being locked?

Also.......I don't believe the card should be a sdhc for your model but just an sd card.

That didn't work either. On this Vista OS, there are two types of formats... Live file system and Mastered disc. I used LFS. I guess that was right. Even tried copying from TT device to the SD in card reader. No change any way I've done it.

Starting the TT without the SD card, the map version screen STILL shows 32MB RAM (free: 32.0 MB). Don't know what's going on with that.

Last edited:
You didn't by chance add the larger poi dat files to the map, did you? If so, Home doesn't seem to react well to that.

Gosh! I don't know. How do I determine that? This last time, I just copied from TT in drive "F" to card in reader in drive "G" so I assume it copied exactly.

If you don't know what I'm referring to, chances are you didn't do it.

It's just that I got the device may be locked message on the weekend and it turned out to be because I had the larger files loaded.

I suggest you call support at 866-486-6866 and when you speak to a CS rep, you tell them the message you're seeing and ask what would cause it.

Offer to cut and paste that system info in an email to the cs person so they can look at it and advise.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact Home is not happy with the sd card you have but I don't know exactly what in your case....

It took two calls but finally got it straightened out. Customer support was very helpful, pleasant and easily understood. hey had me to run "Clear Flash" three times, resetting after each run. That made the TT use the SD card but the only map that it would use was Guam. I could not even force TT to switch to USA & CANADA map so I called back and they talked me through reloading the proper map. Seems to be working fine now.

Thanks, dhn, for your patience with an uninformed user.

Good news!

Make a full Explorer, not HOme, backup of your sd card's contents for safe keeping. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Ask a Question