Rider 2 - Using alternative SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One & Rider 2
I've just acquired a Rider 2. My preference is to keep the original memory card safe and use a copy of it in my Rider 2. However, it keeps saying "No maps installed". I'm using a spare card I have around (actually a microSD in and SD adapter).

I've tried disk to disk copy with Windows, and performing a backup with the genuine TomTom card in and the a restore with the alternative card in the Rider 2, using TomTom Home. Both give the same result.

Is it some kind of copyright protection? Is there a particular spec of card to be used? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards.

It should work, I always have a backup SD of my map, just incase I somehow loose it on a trip. I have done it with 4 different map versions and they always work.

Did you make a copy of it using Explorer?

First make a copy using Explorer on your puter hard drive, then copy it to an 2 gig SD card. I am no computer whiz, but perhaps the issue is putting it on a Micro card and using a reader?

If you are using HOME for a back up, it is reported that that is a very unreliable method.

Cheers!

I made a file on my computer and called it Tomtom reserve. I then copied all of the files from my SD card to this file. (make sure 'show hidden files' is selected in folder options) Then I copied them back to my new SD card and my Tomtom works fine. So I now have my original card as a ready spare, a new card in my Rider 2 and all the files backed up on my computer.
Mike

Thanks, both, now I know that process works it must be down to the card I'm using. I'll try you way, as I was using card to card copy, as well as Home's backup and restore.

Does anyone know the specification of the card that the Rider 2 will accept? Will it accept SDHC or only SD cards? Is there a maximum capacity it will recognise? Does the card label have to be anything particular?

Regards, J

I would make sure the Mini SD card is 2 Gig. I tried using a smaller card and it wouldn't work.

Is it some kind of copyright protection? Is there a particular spec of card to be used? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Depending on the source of the map, it can be locked to the card's serial number, or the Rider's serial number.

Maps that you buy preloaded on a card are locked to the card's serial number. Maps that you download from HOME are locked to the Rider's serial number.

My guess is you have a map that's locked to the SD card. Nothing you can do in that scenario, you have to just use the card.

Thanks mvl, it appears you're corrrect. I've queried it with TomTom and this was their response :

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

The reference number for your query is 101112-002928.

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Stacy and we are always happy to help.

I do understand that you are trying to copy old SD card backup to your new SD card but not able to use.

Please be assured that I will help and provide you with the required information.

I would like to inform that TomTom RIDER 2nd Edition comes with the pre-installed map on SD card. As the maps are pre-installed on the SD card they are linked to the original SD card and TomTom device.

If you try to copy the backup of an old SD card to your new SD card it will not work on the device because each pre-installed map on SD card is link with a certificate file from the SD card and TomTom device.

So I would request you to please not try and copy the data from the original SD card of the device to new SD card.

If any further query, please feel free to contact us.

With Kind Regards,

Stacy S.
The TomTom Customer Care Team

Do you or anyone else know if I upgrade the map using the MUS service, does it then lock the map to the device, which is what I want really?

Regards, John

That seems very odd, as I have copied all of my map versions to SD cards with no problem.

They probably wouldnt work in another device, but works in the one it was originally meant for.

cheers

When i purchased my Rider 2, it came with the maps on an SD card and I could not copy it to a different SD card, 2GB or 4 GB. The files would copy, but it would not work in the Rider 2.

I have since downloaded a new version of the map to the original SD card, and it copies to a 4 GB SD card fine and runs in the Rider.

I wonder if the maps being locked to the SD card serial number is what was causing the "operate my Rider" on TT Home to not function with the original map as this problem went away with the new downloaded map????

Do you or anyone else know if I upgrade the map using the MUS service, does it then lock the map to the device, which is what I want really?

Map updates in MUS are downloaded via HOME, so they will lock to the RIDER's serial number.

This past week I went to best buy and got a 2-pack of 4GB PNY SDHC cards (P-SDHC4G4x2) They are Class 4, so a bit faster than what comes with the Rider 2.

Here's what you can do to find out if a larger card will work in your Rider 2.

Take your existing card and plug it into your PC. Right click on it and go to properties. You want to see what kind of file system it is using.

FAT-32 ->You'll probably be able to use a 4gb SDHC card
FAT-16 -> You're limited to NON-SDHC cards, so probably 2GB max.

Here's the process I used.

1. I used WinRAR to make an archive of my existing SD Card.
2. I formatted my new SD-Card to a FAT-32 standard
3. I expanded my archive to the new SD-Card.
4. I started up my Rider 2 with the new card. It took a bit longer on initial startup, but then after it has worked fine.

Now I have the N.A. 2GB map along with a few others on a 4GB card.

The advantage of going with a SDHC is you can get a higher class card, which will mean a more 'zippy' device because it can read faster from the card. I believe the standard cards are Class 2, so anything above that will show some benefit.

YMMV.

Jason

Thanks mvl, it appears you're corrrect. I've queried it with TomTom and this was their response :

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

The reference number for your query is 101112-002928.

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Stacy and we are always happy to help.

I do understand that you are trying to copy old SD card backup to your new SD card but not able to use.

Please be assured that I will help and provide you with the required information.

I would like to inform that TomTom RIDER 2nd Edition comes with the pre-installed map on SD card. As the maps are pre-installed on the SD card they are linked to the original SD card and TomTom device.

If you try to copy the backup of an old SD card to your new SD card it will not work on the device because each pre-installed map on SD card is link with a certificate file from the SD card and TomTom device.

So I would request you to please not try and copy the data from the original SD card of the device to new SD card.

If any further query, please feel free to contact us.

With Kind Regards,

Stacy S.
The TomTom Customer Care Team

Regards, John

Way cool TomTom. So if someone backs up their rider on TomTom Home then something happens to their SD card. You know. It gets corrupted or damaged they won't be able to download a working copy of their back up on a new card. Good thinking. Of course if they damaged their Rider the back up wouldn't matter. It would have to be sent in for repair anyhow. So why have the back up? Just tell people up front. Damage your card and you have to buy new maps. Want more storage buy new maps. And if you own more than one TomTom device we surely don't want you exchanging information between them. We're here to help.
Mike

I don't know if that is really true. I the maps are tied to the device only, not the SD-Card / Device combo. I recently made a backup of my SD-Card and restored it to a new larger one and the maps worked fine on it with my Rider 2.

There are 2 ways to get maps:
1. Download using Home and install. These maps will be locked to the unit. So, you can do as you did and the maps will still work.

2. Purchased on a sd card from TomTom (mostly offered in Europe). These are locked to the sd card so you can't back the card up and use the backed up sd card in place of the original.

Well then I'm confused. My TomTom Rider 2 came with a US & Canada SD-Card.

I was able to successfully back that card up and put it on a new SD-Card without issue.

I also downloaded the 2GB NA map last week to this new card. Now I have both maps as options on my new card, so I'm wondering if part of the issue is how the card data is copied.

Ask a Question