WAAS Support

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 910
Is WAAS support something that can be added via a firmware update or is additional hardware required inside the unit?

Bryan

This is take from TomTom's website:

Despite the impressive accuracy of GPS and GLONASS, two further systems were launched to make them even more accurate. WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) for the American continent and EGNOS (European Geostationary Navigation Overlay System) for the European continent.

However, the new GPS III and GALILEO systems will not work together with WAAS or EGNOS, as they’ll be able to measure and correct their own inaccuracies.

Thanks Pedro, but do you know if the TomTom GO 910 will be compatible with GPS BLOCK III? I'm thinking probably not.

Bryan

Is WAAS support something that can be added via a firmware update or is additional hardware required inside the unit?

Bryan

Both. The chipset must support WAAS/EGNOS and the software needs to be specificaly tailored to use it. AFAIK, the SirfIII chipset used by TomTom is capable of receiving the extra signal, but the software is not using it. It is possible that a firmware upgrade could add support for WAAS/EGNOS in the future.

Though, what would be the advantage in using it? I mean, you already have a position that is on the road right? It doesn't need to be any more accurate than that. I dount that accuracy will ever be good enough (with WAAS/EGNOS) to reliably determine what lane you are in.

The older SirfII chip is not capable of receiving the correction signal.

Interesting, that was informative Spook. I wonder if a possible upgrade add support to signal strength when driving near tall buildings.

Though, what would be the advantage in using it?
I would definitely be interested if it would allow me to use my TomTom in downtown Chicago. Right now it's virtually useless, which sucks. My TomTom is like a drunken sailor when I'm down town, it's all over the place.

EDIT: I was just able to confirm that the SIRFIII does indeed support both WAAS/EGNOS. TomTom could enable this support via a firmware/software upgrade. I've submitted a comment to TomTom explaining my issue in downtown Chicago and requesting that WAAS be enabled if it would help in my situation. Of course I'm only one person and it would take many many more to persuade them to do so but it's a start!

Bryan

Last edited:
Bryan I support your request!
I would say this is a reason why the SIRFIII chip is in our units. When I drove through Downtown Los Angeles, I understood your complaint.

Would the external antenna help at all or enabled WAAS be better?
My car has a built in satellite antenna on top already. I'm going to see if I can hook into that! I believe I've already read that ppl have and that it helps a bit.

Bryan

Bryan I support your request!
I would say this is a reason why the SIRFIII chip is in our units. When I drove through Downtown Los Angeles, I understood your complaint.
Pedro, I would think that TT would add this at some point in the future as Garmin is now advertising that they has this in their new units. And let me add that it was enabled via a software update on the Garmin units!

Bryan

BoxerBoi76,

Enabling WAAS will not help you getting a fix, at all. It will only improve the measured accuracy of a fix. You still need a good fix in the first place.

WAAS support might improve the accuracy from +/- 10 metres to +/- 4-5 metres, but it will do nothing to improve the signal strength. As the position TomTom measures is 'snapped' to the nearest road, improving the accuracy by this amount will likely as not make no difference. It could only help where the TomTom is confused as to which of two (or more) paralell roads you are actually driving on.

Your best bet is to get an external antenna to improve your reception.

I was under the impression the WAAS required access to a Geo-stationary satellite. When in downtown Chicago, as in downtown New York, the horizon is blocked, so the WAAS is no help. I tried a Garmin GPS with WAAS in NYC and it did not help. The "drunken sailor" problem is caused by multi-path from the buildings fouling up the timing, thus the GPS "thinks" it is a correct signal but the extra path length goofs up the timing and thus the location. To get good location in an area like this may require some dead reckoning sensors such as a compass and speedometer input.

Your best bet is to get an external antenna to improve your reception.
Spook,

I do have an external factory antenna that I believe I can hook my TomTom into. I've read that others have done that. I'm about to have the factory satellite sirius radio install so I'm going to ask if they can connect the TomTom cable while they're in "there". :)

Bryan

I was under the impression the WAAS required access to a Geo-stationary satellite.
Yes, it does.

When in downtown Chicago, as in downtown New York, the horizon is blocked, so the WAAS is no help. I tried a Garmin GPS with WAAS in NYC and it did not help.
The fact that the horizon is not in view is not the problem. The GPS sats are constantly moving and the WAAS sats are geostationary, but neither are on the horizon (unless you are at one of the poles). Your problem is, as you have indicated, multi-path errors (or ghosting), due to reflection from tall buildings. WAAS will not improve this. An external antenna may improve your SNR and give you a better fix by boosting the original signal in comparison to the weaker reflected signals. But I wouldn't bet good money on it.

Ask a Question