Voting thread for known unresolved bugs

This seems like a good place for the morning rant. What kind of software engineers does TomTom hire? EVERY time I plug my 720 into a computer (Mac or PC, doesnt matter) it tells me I need to upgrade my application (psst, it is already upgraded), then after I upgrade my GPS fix and Mapshare (oh, where is that application upgrade?), it tells me my map has a newer version available (for as little as 11.95 per map) and asks me if I want to go subscribe (psst again, I have already subscribed, and I DO have the latest map available.) I particularly like the little red light. (I am sure this isnt the first time any of you have read this)

This kind of stuff is making me think; next time, back to Garmin (have we talked about TomTom's absolutely horrible POI implementation?).

Forgive me

Fix HOME so it doesn't always say, "Newer versions of your map are available. Get them for as little as US$ 11.95 per quarter with our new Map Update Service."

I already downloaded the most recent map in March (North America 2GB v 825.2157), and subscribed to the Map Update Service then too.

Another bug seems that the symbol I selected for my car seems to reset itself to the default sometimes. I haven't figured out yet what triggers it.

Last edited:
I'm removing my vote for the long-routes bug. I suspect I know what/why this is happenning, and I actually like what tomtom did. See here.

Existing List:

2 - subscription available message in HOME even after buying subscription

Would be nice if it made sense, but I can differentiate between the red
and green circles, so no big deal

3 - shift key does not do caps in "Operate my GO" text input

A bit of a nuisance at times.

2 - unoptimal routing on long routes (link)

If it became an issue, I could always reroute during whizz and food breaks.

? - 930T occasionally turns on by itself

Don't own one. Don't have this problem.

3 - metric rounding error when entering speed limits on ONE/XL app 8.010

Minor nuisance, and postdates the 8.010 code. Still there at 8.302.

5 - incorrect IQroutes data when roads are predictably slower than 10mph (link)

Can really screws up the results. Needs fixed.

? - screen flicker on app 8.350

Haven't loaded, haven't seen.

? - track name does not change when next song is played, unless exiting/returing to music screen

Haven't used the internal player.

? - preference to auto-return to driving screen from music screen does not work

Haven't used the internal player.

? - bad start time when using itinerary planning after a plan route (link)

Haven't tried this. Am not familiar with the issue yet.

Please Add to List: These aren't new features, and these aren't bugs. They just
Pains in the Butt By Design that I'd love to see addressed.

5 - Severe Penalties for Left Turns

TomTom will route you a mile or more out of your way in an urban setting
simply to avoid a very easy-to-make left turn. At a minimum, this algorithm
needs to be CONFIGURABLE. It gets to where I can't trust the routing and
have to preview it all the time for sanity.

4 - Severe Penalties for U-Turns

OK, I kinda get the idea for urban settings, but once I'm out in the
boondocks, giving me a 2 mile re-route rather than accepting that a U-Turn on a country road makes a great deal more sense ... well ... at least make it CONFIGURABLE!

Please Add to the List: These appear to be bugs.

5 - Keep Left .... Keep Left .... Keep Left

One of these days, I'm gonna slap Susan upside the head. It APPEARS that this is intended to be configurable in the "Voice" department under lane warnings, but nobody I know has ever been able to shut these off. Driving on an urban interstate with turn-only lanes at nearly every exit keeps my 720 yammering at me constantly.
It gets to where I have to turn off the sound (and perhaps miss some TRULY useful information).

4 - Fix FM Modulation Issue CORRECTLY

TomTom's lame attempt to do the music/modulator game to appease Europe is still a silly solution. Given this, they should also be supplying the "perpetual silence" music file to go along with firmware 8.350.

5 - FM Modulator RF

I can't believe that TT is anywhere near the 100mW allowed limit on their FM. That said, it might be an acceptable level IF they could do something about the power cord having such a huge impact on the transmission pattern. I'd swear that they were using the vehicle power cord as part of the ground plane for the thing or something. Move the power cord an inch and you can go from decent signal to
nearly nothing.

Placing your hand behind the lower right side of a GO unit clears up the signal immensely in all of the vehicles where I've used FM from my 720. There's clearly something about the RF side that TT needs to review to get better performance from what they've got, especially if they don't up the power.

5 - Bring Back Volume Control for Line Out!

I don't know what they were thinking, but place it under whatever section you like:

A fixed level for Line Out is one thing, but fixing it "hot" creates problems.
I've had people here tell me to "turn down my radio". Folks, the output amplitude is high enough to cause distortion in my Aux In. Turning down the radio just makes a quieter distorted signal. No idea how or why this disappeared, but I want it back!

Last edited:
Canderson,

I made a few of changes because of 8.350. I only want to tabulate bugs on the latest firmware.
1) I removed line out - the lower "fixed" level in 8.350 no longer distorts and all the votes for it complained about distorting. Do you still want to vote for a flexible level?
2) Changed the speed limit error to 8.010 on ONE/XL only. GO devices now can have 8.350 and therefore no longer have the problem.

Can you give an example of the left turn issue? Every time someone gave an example, I researched it and it turned out to be a u-turn issue.

I'll add the rest of your votes next time I retabulate. Thanks.

Last edited:
Canderson,

I made a few of changes because of 8.350. I only want to tabulate bugs on the latest firmware.
1) I removed line out - the lower "fixed" level in 8.350 no longer distorts and all the votes for it complained about distorting. Do you still want to vote for a flexible level?
Yes. There are a lot of factory and aftermarket "aux in" solutions out there. Most allow for a level adjustment somewhere, but they're usually buried behind the dash with the unit and are therefore unhelpful to a typical end user. The objective is to get the TomTom audio level matched to the radio level so that a person doesn't have to futz with the volume on the radio or the TomTom at all to get a comfortable level for both.

2) Changed the speed limit error to 8.010 on ONE/XL only. GO devices now can have 8.350 and therefore no longer have the problem.
OK, now I understand the ONE/XL reference.

Can you give an example of the left turn issue? Every time someone gave an example, I researched it and it turned out to be a u-turn issue.
Next time it happens, I'll try to provide an example of current location vs. destination.

Be advised that all complaints were registered against the 8.302 code. Whatever improvements were made in the interim (you can't tell much from TT's /6141 release notes EVER!) are not reflected. I refused to move to 8.350 after they broke the API for 3rd party apps again. Our man from Webazar certainly is doing his best to stay ahead of the clowns back in the TomTom engineering offices. When he's got Tripmaster sorted out again, I'll have a look at 8.350.

Grrrr, the new 2 GB USA and Canada map v 830.2284 came out last night, installed it and HOME still says "Newer versions of your map are available blah blah blah" How stupid is that?!

Plus, the new map ERASED my pass code!

Why should a new map erased the code???

Last edited:
I had a few more things to add

no warning if exit ramp goes straight and highway goes left - 4
auto-adjust volume no longer works - 4
auto-reroute of traffic doesn't checking the original road - 4

I've been on vacation so I haven't been able to retabulate everything lately. I'll try to get to it soon.

Also, if I have free time I'll try to call tomtom support and log all these bugs so they're at least aware of them if they're not reading 3rd party forums like these.

All, I did another vote tabulation here.

Mike28a - I haven't seen others have the "upgrade application issue, try these steps to see if it fixes it. I counted your "map subscription message" vote

canderson:
- I removed your vote for the "unoptimal long routes" bug along with mine, as it appears tomtom just disables IQroutes after the first 6 hours or so. If you still want it, vote again.
- I removed the "uturn" issue - this seems more like a feature, and you already voted in the feature thread
- I moved "increased FM modulator strength" to feature thread
- I moved "flexible volume for line out" to the feature thread. If this used to work in an older firmware, let me know and I'll put it back here.

I also dropped my screen flicker vote to a 3, it doesn't bother me enough to merit a 4.

Last edited:
canderson:
- I moved "flexible volume for line out" to the feature thread. If this used to work in an older firmware, let me know and I'll put it back here.
Yes, it used to be that the slider at the bottom would adjust for speaker, FM and Line Out based upon what was in current use. Seeing as how it got "removed" and is causing so many people grief (volume complaints abound in comments about recent firmware versions), they need to get things back they were under the Navcore 7 firmware. I never saw many gripes back then.

Have been trying to decide whether to include this - I can't tell if it's really a bug or a feature. I'm putting it in both places and you can flip the coin.

The latitude/longitude data that TomTom displays along with the sat information is ROAD-SNAPPED if you are anywhere near a road.

Let's think about this for a minute. If a person really CARES what their exact coordinates are, they probably care what their EXACT coordinates are -- not some arbitrary spot on the nearest piece of asphalt or concrete that TeleAtlas spotted in some satellite photo.

I see ZERO value in providing what in essence are possibly inaccurate latitude and longitude numbers under any circumstances.

We know that TomTom has internal access to the raw unsnapped data. What were they thinking when they chose not to provide THAT information as the coordinate data on the satellite page?

I wonder if this isn't just something they set up that way ages ago, never revisited, and that their users have come to think is "just the way it is" or don't even realize that the data they are being supplied can be bogus? Since I can't imagine why TomTom would have done this "on purpose", I'm going to call it a bug. With two choices, they accidentally used the wrong data for this display (my opinion), which makes it a bug, right?:p

Forgot to give this a rating...

Because of what I do with a GPSr unit, I had NO choice but to go out and buy a secondary (handheld) Garmin unit to avoid this problem. Is that worth a 5?

Last edited:
Post Code confusion

The UK 6 character PostCode (some London are 7) divides the entire country up with one or more Postcodes covering a street and sometimes individual buildings having there own unique PostCode.
Before SatNavs we would use printed maps from Multimap.com or Streetmap.co.uk to navigate to the area of a Postcode. Precise details of the buildings can be found using Royalmail.co.uk.
TomTom used to do this job perfectly, simply avoiding the need to print endless PostCode Maps, cross refer them to books of Ordinance Survey or other Street maps. Many trees were saved !
Now why did TomTom change things.
Everyting is OK navigating to ordinary housing estate type of addresses; inputing such a Post Code now shows, if available, the first house number, and extrapolation to the last house number, whether or not within the Postcode, is invited.
This new request for a house number however is a serious bug because, after inputting the Postcode, the program appears to say 'If there are any house numbers anywhere on the Road then ignore the location of the Postcode itself, and only navigate to addresses with those house numbers. The A28 Ashford Road in Kent, England, is around 25 miles long. TN263AT is but a small section in Bethersden, but the house numbers 4 to 79 are around 5 miles away in Saint Michaels, Tenderden.
With much effort I have been able to set up favorites 'TN263AT Ashford Road' after visiting the location, and using 'My Location' to set the coordinates. But TomTom only allows me 50 favorites before it tells me I am a spoilt child and must delete some favorites before adding more !

But TomTom only allows me 50 favorites before it tells me I am a spoilt child and must delete some favorites before adding more !
Doesn't solve the overall problem, but your immediate problem can be resolved by creating your own custom list of POIs instead of Favorites. If you need to transfer one to the other, the T.Y.R.E. program can help you do this. Your POI category won't be restricted to 48~50 the way your Favorites are.

Tyre

I've made the following updates to all of my votes.

5 - IQroutes not storing historical road speeds that are predictably slower than 10mph
5 - 15 minute delay in receiving PLUS traffic data
5 - traffic auto-reroute doesn't reevaluate original road if detour has no incidents
4 - auto-adjust volume doesn't work/stays quiet in app 8.35x (GO x20/x30)
4 - no warning if exit ramp goes straight and highway goes left
3 - Map 830 is to big for TTS models of the ONE XLS(limerick), ONE 140-S, and XL 340-S
3 - Map abbreviations don't match TTS engine (eg: Map "Br" = bridge, Loqueno "Br" = branch)
3 - screen flicker on app 8.35x
2 - app 8.35x broke bluetooth functionality with many phones (usually Nokias and blackberries)
2 - bad start time when using itinerary planning after a plan route
2 - Weather reports metric unit rainfall even when US/Imperial distances are selected
2 - "Current day" in Weather is UTC day, not local day

I updated the vote list at the beginning of this thread.

I removed the "subscription still offered" bug in HOME, as tomtom has fixed it.

rjhyperion, per the ground rules, please re-vote on 6/29

Also, at the bottom of the list, I added a number bugs reported elsewhere on the forum, that did not get any votes.

Last edited:

Ask a Question