Tomtom one (v2) Problem, Freezes on Startup, Help a newbie thread!

Hey folks, GPS newbie here, and it's not going well so far!

Yesterday I purchased an ex-display tomtom one (I think its a version 2, its in the orange box with the (New Edition) at the top). I rushed home with my new toy, all excited, and charged it.

When I switched it on, it played the drum noise, and the loading bar came up and loaded, and then the uni hung on the "Find your way the easy way" screen. It has not once got past this screen in all of the attempts I have made to sort it out.

When I reset the device with the paperclip method and the USB cable in, it will connect to the PC and I can see the files fine. It connects to the tomtom software too.

I have already tried :
Resetting the device with paperclip and on button
Switching on without the map card inserted (this loads up, then gives the screen that wants you to put the card in. When you do, it loads up the card then hangs on the "find your way.... " again.
Backing up the device and restoring it
Updating to newer version
The tomtom flash cleaner
None of these have made any difference, I would be greatful of any suggestions, as I am worried the store won't let me return it (as it was ex display). I have read that restoring to an earlier version of the software might work, but all the links to these files were dead.

Thanks in advance.

ee

Try a pin reset with the card out of the machine. Then, try a pin reset with the card IN the unit. See if that helps.

An often tried method is the following:

- Connect the unit to your computer.

- Use Windows Explorer to delete all of the loose files, but not the folders.

- Connect to the Home program, and it should download new operating system files for you.

Partial Sucess

I wasn't aware that the system files could be deleted, I tried that on the card I had, and it didn't work. I tried putting a new blank card in (1gb) and installed the OS onto that through home, and the device booted!!

Unfortunately, it just boots up to say that no maps are found, am I able to copy them across from the original card? Thanks for all the help so far!

ee

I wasn't aware that the system files could be deleted, I tried that on the card I had, and it didn't work. I tried putting a new blank card in (1gb) and installed the OS onto that through home, and the device booted!!

Unfortunately, it just boots up to say that no maps are found, am I able to copy them across from the original card? Thanks for all the help so far!

ee
If you have a lesser model than a x20 or x30, then both maps and firmware MUST reside in the same memory space. And the tomtom software is designed to boot from whatever space holds the firmware. So, yes, use Explorer to copy the entire specific map folder (NOT just the contents) to the sd card as well.

You may need a pin reset but you should be good to go...........

It worked!

Thanks very much for the help guys, is there a section where you can donate to the site. I posted on some other forums but this one was the only one that was any help!

Just getting a charge into her and I'm ready to hit the open road!

ee

That's kind of you to offer. We're just users such as yourself trying to help each other. Your payment can come as you play with your unit and come here to help others! :) :)

Have fun!

Ask a Question