voice recognition and map version compatability

I recently bought a 720 that came with North America map v710.1584 and voice recognition works. My understanding is that the current North America map is v7.20. Does anyone know if voice recognition will still work with v7.20. If not can it be made to work.
Thanks...

I recently bought a 720 that came with North America map v710.1584 and voice recognition works. My understanding is that the current North America map is v7.20. Does anyone know if voice recognition will still work with v7.20. If not can it be made to work.
Thanks...

Here is a thread that covers VR on 720, there is Lots of info.
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7353

Last edited:
Does map version 7.15 not have the cspeech files necessary for voice recognition? I just downloaded that map and did the support_asr thing but voice recognition icons are still greyed out.

I have tomtom 720
map version 715.1712
version 8.010

Please help!

Do this:

Use Explorer and view the contents of the NA 715 map folder. Do you see a bunch of cspeechxx.txt files? If not, look in your download folder where the 715 map first got dl to your computer. It'll be in a compressed form. View the contents using Winzip or something silimar. If they're there, try extracting them and placing in the map folder on your unit.

If they ARE in the NA 715 map folder on the unit, then did you create the support_asr.dat file correctly? Only a 1 in it (no carriage returns or spaces, etc.). Was it named properly rather than support_asr.dat.txt? Was it placed in the asr folder?

If the speech files are there AND the support file is created correctly and placed, try a pin reset.

If that still fails, you may want to reconsider rolling back your firmware to N7 level.

I just used tomtom home to download the 715 map, where does it get downloaded?

Yes, i did the support_asr thing. i cant find the cspeech files anywhere!

The download location is determined by the folder settings in Preferences in HOME software. If you left it at the default, it should be here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\map\NorthAmerica\North_America.zip

You should find all the cspeech files when you view the North_America.zip file with an extractor like winzip or equivalent. If you do, extract the cspeechxx.dat files and copy them to your NA map folder on the unit.

That said, ou HAVE to have enough space on internal to handle the size of all the speech files. If you don't, our choices include not copying over speech files for states ou're not likely to visit or, a better choice, is to buy a 4-gig sdhc card and move the entire map to it along with the speech files.

it worked!

DHN, you are DA MAN (or woman) - IT WORKED!!!

I still have around 100 megs left over. I can fill a whole bunch of POI's in 100 megs i reckon.

any other nice little tweaks you can suggest, like this one, for the 720?

Ask a Question