Voice Command not working

TomTom Model(s)
Mazda NB1
I am 99% sure this started after the .817 update. When I press the Voice Command button and say "Increase Volume" "Volume 50%" or any other volume command, it either thinks I said something like change the station or starts an audio tutorial. I am using the computer voice, not a human one, so I know that's not the issue.

I thought it was a bug with .817 but someone else told me their's works fine. I've tried it on Pandora, Sirius and the Nav system and no volume commands work for me. I also re-selected the US computer voice, tried the UK computer voice and did a soft reset. Nothing fixed it.

So today I thought I'd do a restore. In my TomTom\HOME\Backup\Mazda Navigation System NB1 directory I have two backup folders: Backup02 dated today (3/31) and Backup01dated 3/15. My software is set to backup before it installs anything so I would have thought I'd have more than those two, but okay. I don't want the 3/31 backup since it'll have the problem, but I can't select the 3/15 backup. I even tried renaming the 3/31 folder so TTH would only see the Backup01 folder but then it says I don't have a backup.

I'm wondering if I can just copy all the files in the 3/15 folder? I wouldn't want to do that unless someone knows it's okay as often backup files are modified in such a way as they must be restored, not just copied. The backup folder has two files (Backup Info.ini and backup.xml) and a folder (InternalMemory) which appears to have all the SD card files in it.

Also, am I correct in assuming, if I did copy the files to the SD card, I could do my map updates again and TT wouldn't say no, I already downloaded them once before?

I'm open to any suggestions. I could just go back to the dealer too as it's still under warranty. It just seems like I should be able to fix this myself.

All I know is that I **never** suggest backups/restores using Home; rather, use Explorer. See here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

I don't know why you say some files get modified when backed up. They don't.

What I was trying to say is that sometimes backup files get modified - for example, using Windows Backup and Restore. You must restore files, you can't just copy them from the backup. I didn't know if TTH did anything to the files, although it didn't look like it.

It sounds like you are saying I can copy the files from the InternalMemory folder of a past backup and just paste them onto the SD card. So when I go to update the maps again, there won't be any problem with already having downloaded an update? Again, I don't know about TomTom, but some programs count downloads or activations so I'm just checking.

Thanks.

Well, you don't want to create an Explorer backup, then download a newer map and then restore the Explorer backup by copying back an older map than you had on the unit.

Well, you don't want to create an Explorer backup, then download a newer map and then restore the Explorer backup by copying back an older map than you had on the unit.

Thanks for your patience, as this is my first TomTom so it's all new to me.

Are you saying it's okay to use Windows Explorer to copy & paste a copy of the original SD card contents (from my computer's hard drive) on to the device SD card as long as I copy the latest version of the file USA_Canada.tlv into the 'maps' folder of the device SD card?

Then, before I insert the SD card back into the Mazda, I would use TT Home to update the firmware from 10.815 to 10.817?

Thanks.

From the link I provided, we suggest (for those devices where the user has access to the file system) that Explorer backups be made before any updating of a map or application.

Then, if it appears eveything is ok with the update, a new Explorer backup should be made (different folder, of course) as a 'safety net'.

I just don't want you to overwrite newer information with older information if not necessary ....

Is your device working properly now? If so, make an Explorer backup.

Then update the application from 10.815 to 10.817.

Check things out. Everything working ok? Then make a new Explorer backup including the 10.817 files.

I haven't done any type of restore yet. Everything works fine except that Voice Command does not support volume control anymore.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot or restore this. If it's copying everything from the original backup to the SD card using Explorer and then over writing that tlv file with the newest, I will do that.

I do have a map subscription service if that makes any difference.

Ask a Question