VIA 1505T not recognized by computer

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1505T
It worked fine when I got it 6 months age, but now when I plug it in to my computer it is not recognized. The port on the gps appears to have pushed into the body of the unit. It will charge, but won't update.I saw something on the net a while back telling how to get it fixed under warranty, but I can't find it.

It worked fine when I got it 6 months age, but now when I plug it in to my computer it is not recognized. The port on the gps appears to have pushed into the body of the unit. It will charge, but won't update.I saw something on the net a while back telling how to get it fixed under warranty, but I can't find it.
You may want to be sure that you are not using a different USB cable. I have seen a lot of cases on the web where a problem like this was due to using a cable that supports charging but does not support data transfer. (From your description it sounds like the problem may be the port on the GPS, but checking the cable is easy to do and may save you some inconvenience.)

I was originally under the impression that all USB cables were the same, so it would not matter which cable you use. However, I have since discovered that there is not a single standard that all USB cables meet, and there have been many, many reported cases of problems like yours that were due to using a cable without data support. (It's also possible for a good cable to have been damaged without visible evidence, or for the port on the PC to be a problem, so I suggest testing with a different cable and testing on a different computer, just to confirm that the issue is your GPS.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question