Valid GPS signal

TomTom Model(s)
Via
Second day I've used my TOMTOM and I'm waiting for a valid GPS Signal. I'm on a road trip. Help!!!

Tried a re-boot?
Hold down the power button for ~20 seconds until you hear the drum-roll, then release immediately.

Do try to get first signal lock while you are standing still. It's a LOT harder for any sat-nav to find the satellites if you start driving before it's sorted itself out.

Second day I've used my TOMTOM and I'm waiting for a valid GPS Signal. I'm on a road trip. Help!!!
I hope you didn't just buy that Via off the shelf and run with it. Some retailers still have shelf stock of units that MUST have a firmware upgrade to lock satellites properly after an issue that came up at the end of March.

If you go to Settings and page back one or two, you'll see a selection for "Me and my device". From there, select "About my device", and report the number string that follows the word "App". That will tell us if you've got any chance of getting that unit to work without an update first.

If it does turn out that you're on "old code", the update will be offered to you the first time you connect this unit to the TomTom server with your PC. The application used to do that (and other things) can be found here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/

I know that won't do you a lick of good on this trip, but ...

Might be wrong, but didn't that buggy version manage to find the satellites straight after a 20-second power button reset?

Might be wrong, but didn't that buggy version manage to find the satellites straight after a 20-second power button reset?
I am depending upon my memory, but I think that you are right. As I recall, the inconvenience was that you had to do the 20-second "drum-beat" reboot every time the GPS was turned off and restarted, but it did work when that was done.

After the software was updated as canderson suggested, the problem went away.

- Tom -

Yes, but you had to do the reset each and every time the unit was powered up. That could become a real pain on a vacation.

My post was subsequent to yours, so was hoping he tries what you suggested.

Ask a Question