Using Zip Code Causes Problems

I have the 550 XXL 550 SE from Sams Club. I have noticed a problem when using zip code instead of city to navigate. When I use zip code several times, the unit will only show several instances of "Indianapolis, IN" as the recent search, even though each of those "Indianapolis IN" searches represents a different zip code. It is impossible to tell which "Indianapolis, IN" zip code is represented when I simply try to say "Indianapolis, IN" as my city, because all that comes up are all the recent searches, which all say "Indianapolis, IN" even though "Indianapolis, IN" does not include all of Indianapolis. The problem is that the street I am looking for will not be in any of the "Indianapolis, IN" results, even when I try to just say "Indianapolis" as the city, it does not matter....all that comes up are all the other zip code searches I did, which simply say "Indianapolis, IN" I tried to explain this to three different TOMTOM customer service reps, and they just acted like they had no clue what I was talking about, and even though they promised to call me back, they never did.

Unfortunately, a limitation in the way the zip code data was formulated. Irritating to be sure but I just don't know a way to resolve it.

This is more than "irritating". This can become completely debilitating! When there are many "Indianapolis, IN's showing up I cannot tell which one is the real Indianapolis, IN search (the one not related to a specific Zip Code search I performed). This means I can no longer use the TomTom to search for addresses in my home city. Wouldn't you agree that is more than just "irritating?"

When it gets to that point, I cannot find a street in most any of the "Indianapolis, IN's that I pick (unless that street just happens to be in that zip code-which I have no way of knowing since it appears identical to the general Indianapolis, IN). The only solution is going to be either to find the general Indianapolis, IN, or I must be able to clear out all those Zip Code searches within Indianapolis. This is a serious programming problem, and needs to be addressed by having the zip code also show up next to the Indianapolis, IN search.

Sometimes I really need to use the Zip Code search because there are many areas of Indianapolis that just won't find the street unless I use the zip code, because some addresses that say they are in Indianapolis are really in neighboring towns that border Indianapolis.

Is there a way to clear out those previous searches on my TomTom? I really need a solution to this problem, and I cannot believe that other people aren't having this problem also! Maybe it's because of the number of characters in my city? If so, they need to just use the first 6 characters or so and reserve the last 5 for the zip code that was searched for.

Navigate to -> Address -> Street and house number

Then type "Indianapolis" (don't choose it from the list). Once you type it in, choose it. This way you shouldn't get the zip-code-specific locations.

Ask a Question