Using Kate UK or USA Voice ??

TomTom Model(s)
Go-920 App 9.465 Map N A 895.4438 C&W Europe 8.30 Magellan Explorist 710
I don't know if it is just me or am I mistaken.
When I first bought my 920 and made my first major trip it seem to me that with a USA Computer voice I was receiving my instructions a fair bit sooner or further from my upcoming turn etc. etc. If I recall it was something like 3/4 - 1 mile from my turn. Being that I am now in Canada and everything is in metric I chose Kate English computer voice but it seem to me she waits till you are much closer to you turn before she tell you like 500 M
( aprox 1/3 of a mile) I haven't switched back to USA Computer voice to see if there would be a longer lead time here north of the 40th.

Perhaps there is someone that can confirm the USA computer voice lead time ?

longer Lead time can be handy if you are in four lanes of trafic with big rigs blocking off over head signs.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is it just something in my settings that needs tweaking.
:confused:

Last edited:
I don't know if it is just me or am I mistaken.
When I first bought my 920 and made my first major trip it seem to me that with a USA Computer voice I was receiving my instructions a fair bit sooner or further from my upcoming turn etc. etc. If I recall it was something like 3/4 - 1 mile from my turn. Being that I am now in Canada and everything is in metric I chose Kate English computer voice but it seem to me she waits till you are much closer to you turn before she tell you like 500 M
( aprox 1/3 of a mile) I haven't switched back to USA Computer voice to see if there would be a longer lead time here north of the 40th.

Perhaps there is someone that can confirm the USA computer voice lead time ?

longer Lead time can be handy if you are in four lanes of trafic with big rigs blocking off over head signs.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is it just something in my settings that needs tweaking.
:confused:

GarCor......

I use Susan and she announces measurements in metric up here. Just make sure your settings for measurements are set for metric and 'susie' complies.

GarCor......

I use Susan and she announces measurements in metric up here. Just make sure your settings for measurements are set for metric and 'susie' complies.

Hi DNH
I don't have a problem with using Kate and Metric and I could change to Susan if she is better, Is she a computer voice ?

I do have units of mesure in metric while I am north of the 40th.

I just would like to be able to get a bit more lead time a mile in advance of my turn so if I am in wrong lane going 110 -120 KL ph that I would have a bit of time to get in the right lane.

What we need is a Canadian voice saying keep to the right one KL ahead EH. ;)

You mean voices like Doug & Bob McKenzie? ;)

Yep.....Susan is a EN_US Computer voice.

I just would like to be able to get a bit more lead time a mile in advance of my turn so if I am in wrong lane going 110 -120 KL ph that I would have a bit of time to get in the right lane.
There's a preference setting for "Advanced Turn Notification," which may have been reset when you swapped voices. Can't remember where in the menus this resides (I don't have my TomTom in front of me now).

When I have this option selected, I get a short "Left Turn Ahead" Heads-up about 1.4 Miles beforehand. Then the actual, "Turn Left in 400 Yards" as I approach the point.

R?

(and Who uses Yards for highway-speed distances, anyway?!)

There's a preference setting for "Advanced Turn Notification," which may have been reset when you swapped voices. Can't remember where in the menus this resides (I don't have my TomTom in front of me now).

When I have this option selected, I get a short "Left Turn Ahead" Heads-up about 1.4 Miles beforehand. Then the actual, "Turn Left in 400 Yards" as I approach the point.

R?

(and Who uses Yards for highway-speed distances, anyway?!)

Thanks Ricochet
That is what I have been looking for the early warning Heads-up about 1.4 Miles beforehand. I sumehow lost this setting . I don't know if it was something I did or as you suggested perhaps when I swapped voices.

Anyway I called TT Suport thinking I had perhaps lost this setting and Zackery walked me through finding it .

I had Chosen Susan USA computer voice as dhn had suggesred but in the voice preferances I had early warning diasbled box checked I unchecked it so all should be fine now.
Thanks Again All :)

Last edited:
This is sort of an old thread but I thought I'd try and start it up again.

I'm looking for a metric computer voice, but in Home when I navigate to download computer voices and choose all, there are only two english computer voices listed, Tom and Samantha. I'm a bit confused, from reading this thread I gather I should see a number of english computer voices (for instance someone mentioned 'Kate' is a computer voice), or are people getting recorded and computer voices confused?

I'm in Canada and I need a metric computer voice, are either Tom or Samantha metric ?

Also, whats the difference between English US and English UK? Different terms use or units of measurement?

For the Go series of 720, 730, 920 and 930, the computer voices are created for TT by a company called Loquendo. One of the voices, Susan, designated as Eng_US gives measurements in metric.

For lower end models I think the company used is Vocalizer. The computer voices (files) are not interchangeable with the higher end models.

From what you say, the computer voices offered do not do metric.

Try using Home, add voices--> computer, ensure the country selected is Canada, and see what choices are offered. Play a sample of each and see whether one of them offeres metric.

For the Go series of 720, 730, 920 and 930, the computer voices are created for TT by a company called Loquendo. One of the voices, Susan, designated as Eng_US gives measurements in metric.

For lower end models I think the company used is Vocalizer. The computer voices (files) are not interchangeable with the higher end models.

From what you say, the computer voices offered do not do metric.

Try using Home, add voices--> computer, ensure the country selected is Canada, and see what choices are offered. Play a sample of each and see whether one of them offeres metric.

I did use Add voices-->computer, but there is no option next for choosing a country. I did log into my profile and Ontario Canada is selected, if thats what you meant.

Really stupid if a metric computer voice is not an option in Canada! What a BIG mistake on TomTom's part! I may consider returning it if that's the case!

Are you sure neither choice can do metric? What have you set your units for in Preferences? Are they set to metric??

Are you sure neither choice can do metric? What have you set your units for in Preferences? Are they set to metric??

No, I wasn't sure. I just got it and tried it for the first time this morning. I used a recorded voice instead of text to speech and found that even though the unit was set to metric and displayed metric, the voice spoke imperial.

I'm at work so I couldn't actually try any new settings till lunch. I just switched to 'samantha,' the text to speech voice and she is speaking in metric. So I won't be returning it.

Thanks for the advice. I still hope Tomtom adds more than two computer voices at some point (for the lower end models anyhow), it would nice to have a bit of variety to choose from, not just male/female.

FYI, the ONE XL-S does use the Loquendo voices and not the Vocalizer voices. Maybe some old models did use Vocalizer made by another company (Nuance if I remember right) but not anymore.

Basically there are three Loquendo versions presently used by TT:

1- The old version 6.5, used on the GO 910, that uses rather large voices > 200MB per voice.

2- The ONE and GOx20 v6.9 voices using small voices v6.9.

3- The latest v7 GOx30 voices that uses very small compressed voices that is presently the only version offering Canadian French voices (Charlotte and Olivier).

AFAIK, they can't be substituted as the Loquendo sw version needs to be matched by the voices' version.

I can't say anything about AVR sw as I have not searched the subject.

??? My Susan gives me distances to turns in feet and miles. Truth to tell, and according to the speech tables, she's happy to do either based upon configuration of the unit.

Ask a Question